Badly sticking brakes when initially moving off

richnottm

Hi..ive got a 2005 z fitted with standard Brembos. Total mileage about 33k..If have a recurring problem where first thing in the morning when moving off the brakes stick badly. I need to rev the engine a bit to get the car moving then all is fine. I left the car standing for 2 weeks (when we had the bad snow) and moving the brakes had seized a lot. Now I see the osr pad has moved and the brakes vibrate when i apply them. I have booked car in for new pads all round BUT what my question is: is there a design fault with these Brembos??..thanks guys

Does the vibration change at varying speeds? I.e. vibrate a lot at speed and slower as the pace slows? Have you been out for a spirited drive and then come to a hault with the brakes fully appied? It sounds to me like you have 2 problems. One is the normal brakes rusting which is fine. The second is that you have imprinted some pad material onto the disks which gives you the judder. You can get it skimmed off the disk or try breaking in the pads again and hope to get it off.

Had this problem with the my last few cars. Think my problem is amplified with the fact that I have to park on a hill, requiring more hand brake to hold. As previously mentioned, moisture seems to increase the problem. If I forget (or don't have time) to take the car for a spin, after washing the car, it can really 'clonk' as the brakes free up from the discs. Not sure if new brake disks will help, just a trait.

From another thread with the same kind of problem

You can get this type of affect with certain pads when the car has been parked for a while, depending on the binders and additives in the friction material.

If the pad is in contact with a section of the disc for a long period you can get a surface reaction between the friction material and the rotor surface. This is accelerated if there is an electrolytic solution present (salt water this time of year) and can lead to a deposit being left on the disc when the car is moved. On your first brake application you then hear/feel a slight vibration as the friction material of the pad encounters the deposit on each revolution of the rotor until it's removed.

An easy way to check for this is next time you leave the car for a while just move it forward about a foot and then have a look at the brake disks. You should be able to see the area of the rotor that the pad was in contact with whilst it was parked.

I have R34 brembos on my 200 and if it's parked for a few days I get the same thing on my first brake application (that's with DS2500 pads) and if I check the rotors I can see the outline of the pads on the surface.