Is this legal???

Lexx

You may remember my run in with the law about my number plate a few weeks back.

Well, finally got around to getting a legal size plate sorted.

It doesnt look right if I put it where the smaller one went, so what I want to know is, is it legal to place as shown in the pics?

Ive googled and cant find anything constrcutive. All info is regarding plate lettering/spacing etc. Not the actual placing.

(ignore the black rectangle - thats the old number plate holding it in place whilst pics taken)

Photo0157.jpg

Photo0158.jpg

Photo0159.jpg

i believe (i mean think) that its meant to be flat against a surface, but my bike plate is at an angle.

you know what you could do? do the same as the lotus owners i know and not have a front plate,

won't give you points so not to much of a worry.

off to find your thread about the other problems with the cops as i missed it.

Adam

Firstly that is a very nice looking zed B)

Secondly I am afraid yes they are illigal, and some traffic cop with f*ck all else to do with fine you £30 for that!

the arguement being that it cant be read by speed cameras or ANPR

Now that was th exact arguement I was told about my undersized plate.

Just to reiterate - the plate in the pic is the correct size lettering and spacing.

So what you're saying, is that it is illegal for it to be on an angle like that? Even though the ANPR and speed cameras could quite easily see it?

definitely illegal to be on an angle like that, and i know there is a minimum height it has to be off the ground and that looks to low. In my boy racer days i tried all sorts to get round it and found out the hard way.

with a car like yours they will take great pleasure in pulling you over...bastards!!!

A mate of mine had a supra with the veilside kit, he had to stick his plate on like that and he got pulled for it.

The police man said its illegal because the only person who would be able to read it would be the helicopter pilot, to which my mate said that the helicopter pilot would have to catch him first! which didnt go down too well!! :lol:

definitely illegal to be on an angle like that, and i know there is a minimum height it has to be off the ground and that looks to low. In my boy racer days i tried all sorts to get round it and found out the hard way.

with a car like yours they will take great pleasure in pulling you over...bastards!!!

Yeah i agree, any thing other than standard and they will find a reason! although i have a plate thats 3/4 the size of a normal one and ive been stopped and they said nothing about the plate! :yahoo:

Cheers for the help guys :thumbs:

Ive put it back where the old one was. doesnt look right though, and ruins the look of the front. Oh well.

As for the flat ones as found on MX-5's - They're illegal too, no matter what the spacing is. Sticky ones like that aint allowed.

In all honesty and without trying to sound like a complete sanctimonious tit, a number plate is one of those things that we've all got to have and it's all got to be legit, much like an MOT or insurance. Given that I can't think of one car that looks better with a numberplate, surely it would be better to simply just to suck it up, put a legal one on and stop trying to find a way round the law?

If you've already been done by your local police then they know who they're looking for, and I really wouldn't attempt to antagonise them over something as trivial as a plate.

Got the best of both worlds at the moment, *Legal* Black and silver on one side (that look loads better than the 100% legal ones!) and legal on the other, and then screwed on so you can switch them...

When stopped, apologise and say you have been to a show or photoshoot and forgot to switch them.... Say you will change them right away, get screwdriver from the boot and switch them over... No £30 fine...

Just got to remember to carry a screwdriver!! As the nice policeman wouldnt lend me his!! And gave me a little letter to remind me!

Dont you find it strange how its illegal for a car to have a front number plate on at an angle, but perfectly fine for a motorbike to have none at all...

I suppose its something to do with the safety of a motrbike not having a number plate which would act like a meat cleaver upon impact with a pedestrian.

So its OK for a forward facing ANPR and SPECS camera to not be able to detect motorcycles that speed, but illegal for cars to be able to pass these camers without a front number plate on...

And they maintain its still not about the revenue.... yeah yeah...

Nope, if your black and silver one is the pre-1973 style then that's still illegal and you were lucky not to get the fine.

I did get a fine..... That was the point, but if I had turned them round straight away the policeman may have been lenient!

I am sure pre '73 cars numberplates can be picked up on SPECS etc so how can they be "illegal" .....

If they were totally illegal then they should be banned from being used on any car... Am sure it was the case when the law was being passed, some lord that had a huge classic car collection decided that he didnt want stupid yellow plates on his cars!

Nope, if your black and silver one is the pre-1973 style then that's still illegal and you were lucky not to get the fine.

I am sure pre '73 cars numberplates can be picked up on SPECS etc so how can they be "illegal" .....

They are not illegal on pre 73 cars ;)