Repairing stock gear knob - is gear shift pattern indented?

matth76

Hi

I'm picking up my new 350z next weekend and one thing I want to sort out is the stock gearknob (the silver patch on the top of it where the gear shift pattern has flaked a bit). I don't really want to change the stock gear knob or buy a new one at £100 only for it to start flaking again as this appears to be a common issue - certainly was on all the cars I looked at and all under 40k miles. I forgot to look in detail but is the gear shift pattern indented, ie etched into the top of the knob? If it is I think I will simply mask off the leather which is absolutely fine and paint the small silver patch with some silver water proof paint. If it's indented I should still be able to see the gear shift pattern underneath after painting it.

Thanks for any help.

Matt

I agree, mines been like this for ages.

Would be good if you are going to paint and let us know the results. I was thinking of using some silver paint with a clearcoat finish but didn't think it would work as I am likely to get paint on the surrounding leather and it would look crap!

It is indented, but if you need to look at the shift pattern perhaps you should look at somthing along the lines of a 1.0l Micra :lol:

Jokes asside, im sure it would be ok to paint, standard H pattern with revers nxt to 6th (if your looking to source a new one)

mine has done the same, and i'm looking to replace it, but if i do i still want one with a shift pattern on, not because i need it but because i think it looks better in the car. ;)

I scraped the lacquer off it with my finger nail and polished it. It comes up like new.I even used Brasso as I had not got any metal polish at the time.

That sounds a bit easier than painting it - how did you avoid damaging the surrounding leather when you polished it or was the cloth you used not abrasive? Does it come out silver after polishing it? Also what type of cloth did you use to polish it - just a normal soft cotton cloth? Hope you don't mind all the questions :D