Service parts prices, labour rates and general help needed!

H5

Right, last time I did this I had those fellows at ESR to help me through.....

Car needs a P2, coming up for 45k on the clock.

Few questions:-

1. What oil do I need? Last time I think I used Millers 15W 30 or 10W 40.

2. Price to fit spark plugs is £120 - is this reasonable?

3. Price for the platinum OEM plugs is £87.01 - is this reasonable? Are there 'better' ones out there?

4. To do the service (excl. oil) is £230 - any views??

5. Anyone know of a trader that supplies Motul RBF 600 brake fluid? (so I can fit my new brakes! :teeth: )

Thanks! :)

1. Dont know, do a search for Oilmans posts, he details the pros and cons of different weights of oils

2. Seems reasonable around the Berkshire area. I paid about that for Dan Perkins to do mine.

3. Again, seems reasonable, I paid £75-80 for them off Dan Perkins

4. No idea, sorry, cant remember what my last P2 cost :blush:

5. ESR might still have some left, they are sending me some :thumbs:

PS What brakes you got :teeth:

Thanks for the quick replies......

It looks like a 10W 40 oil from a quick search (it's normal'ish driving really). Looks like Opie can sort the oil and brake fluid. Anyone got any views on these Denso Iridium plugs? Opie seem to have them for £9 each.....

The brakes are Performance Friction discs and pads. Is RBF 600 still the right stuff?

As you can tell, I'm not the hottest on this sort of stuff! :blush:

H5, a good plug and a favoured one with the Zed is the Denso Iridium plug; it’s mentioned frequently on the forum too…

I haven’t got any in stock at the moment; however there are some good deals on eBay, such as…

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DENSO-IRIDIUM-Spa ... 240%3A1318

£120.00 fitted is a good price, I know some Nissan dealers charge twice that and above in some cases… :thumbs:

My manual states that 5w-30 is prefered. On that basis i use Amsoil fully synthetic 5w-30. :)

Now that's thrown a spanner in the works! :lol::headhurt::headhurt::headhurt:

Just quoting what my manual says. The 5w-30 as better cold temperature capability's than 10w-40 but i cant see it getting colder than minus 20 here. :)

Right, last time I did this I had those fellows at ESR to help me through.....

Car needs a P2, coming up for 45k on the clock.

Few questions:-

1. What oil do I need? Last time I think I used Millers 15W 30 or 10W 40.

2. Price to fit spark plugs is £120 - is this reasonable?

3. Price for the platinum OEM plugs is £87.01 - is this reasonable? Are there 'better' ones out there?

4. To do the service (excl. oil) is £230 - any views??

5. Anyone know of a trader that supplies Motul RBF 600 brake fluid? (so I can fit my new brakes! :teeth: )

Thanks! :)

Just had mine done at Mill Hill Nissan, they quoted originally £362, I then spoke to the service manager (Peter) quoting that someone via this forum had a P2 done for £199, he then agreed the same deal.

I supplied the oil 5w 30 (Motul 300V) as it was only a 18K service no plugs, believe it or not they did not have the air filters in stock for my car, although they had known it was due in about 2 wks prior to day itself.

Total bill ex. filters & oil was £141 all in, which wasn't bad all in all..

Denso Plugs highly recommended or Greddy..

Just a note for any HR owners:

At the first oil change around 4k we tried a slightly thicker oil 10w 40 (Motul 300V), this gave the car very wierd sympton, basically between 1700/2200 rpm when cold it would struggle to rev cleanly through it, almost sounding like a slight misfire. Dropped the oil again and replaced it with the recommended 5w 30, problem disappeared.

The later engine seems to be critical on which oil viscosity, across the pond they seem to be seeing this problem a lot on HR engined cars. All we could work out is that around 1700/2200 rpm is possibly where the variable valve timing comes into play and if the oil is too thick it seems to a problem when cold, it eventually does dial itself out once warm but low speed driving was almost impossible when cold.

If anyone has experienced anything similar then please let me know, would be interesting to share some notes.

Thanks

Is RBF 600 still the right stuff?

I'm running the same Motul brake fluid, seems to cope just fine with spirited driving (in conjunction with aftermarket pads & slotted rotors) and will see how it goes at track day. Couple of the others here are running the same brake fluid & have tracked without any problems. :)

It's a full synthetic, "Dot 5" (if you go by the same ratings).

http://www.motoretail.co.nz/product.cfm?ID=755

or go to http://www.motul.com

"Dot 4" being a semi, and a lower grade more likely what your local dealer would put in. Fine for driving around, but you will get some brake fade with quite spirited driving or excessive brake work or the like on extremely steep hills.

Cheers for that - it's actually £200 fitted, the £120 is just the labour to fit them....

Give Dan Perkins a call. I dug out my bill for the service and it was £75 for the plugs, but the labour was rolled into the the service, but IIRC when the quoted it over the phone it was £120 for the plugs and fitting. Might be worth a punt :thumbs: (oh and I hear that you can do the plugs without removing the plenum which save a hell of a lot of time, I think thats what they may have done with mine, and its what ESR used to do)

Thanks for the replies.

I think the answer is to get the following:-

Motul RBF 600 fluid x 1 (double check garage for supply!)

Denso Iridium spark plugs (Opie looks good)

Oil - looking at Opie's site, I think I'll get a 5W 30 of some brand, just not sure which one. As I say, I had Millers last time and it's been fine (and only done about 4k miles!)

As for the service, I think I'll need to shop around and get haggling. Looks like I can get it quite a bit cheaper if I try.

5w 40 is what I have always been told to use. Best of both worlds and for your brake fluid rbf600 always seems alot of money to me, you will be looking about 12-15 quid a bottle and as you require 3 bottles that 45 quid on brake fluid alone! I know its good but is it really worth 45 quid!

5w 40 is what I have always been told to use. Best of both worlds and for your brake fluid rbf600 always seems alot of money to me, you will be looking about 12-15 quid a bottle and as you require 3 bottles that 45 quid on brake fluid alone! I know its good but is it really worth 45 quid!

If I've got PF discs, pads and Brembo calipers, it seems a bit silly to me not to put decent fluid in the system. Especially since it's the only thing that will stop me!

Confused now......

This says RBF 600 is Dot 4, but exceeds 5.1. What does that really mean?! Is it the right stuff?? :wacko::wacko:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-894-motul-r ... stems.aspx

You and me both. It's definitely rated here (NZ) as Dot 5. Perhaps flick OPIE a pm. :)

I remember reading about this before. DOT5.1 is basically DOT4 that meets the Wet/Dry requirements of DOT5. So technically it is DOT4 (the compound used is DOT4) but it exceeds those of DOT5 (which is a completely differnt type of compound) and thus is termed DOT5.1 .

Sure Opie can give us the real answer ;)