speed limiters - bbc news article

adncd

Speed-limiting devices should be fitted to cars on a voluntary basis to help save lives and cut carbon emissions, according to a new report.

The government's transport advisers claim the technology would cut road accidents with injuries by 29%.

The device automatically slows a car down to within the limit for the road on which it is being driven.

But charity Safe Speed says the devices are dangerous because they encourage drivers to enter a "zombie mode".

Ministers are planning to help councils draw up digital maps with details of the legal speed on every road.

The speed-limiting devices will then use satellite positioning to check a vehicle's location and when its speed exceeds the limit, power will be reduced and the brakes applied if necessary.

The Commission for Integrated Transport and the Motorists' Forum, which both advise the government, are calling on ministers to promote a wide introduction of the system.

Education 'important'

John Lewis, from the Motorists' Forum, told BBC Breakfast he believed the devices would help drivers obey limits and therefore keep their licences.

"But we believe that the system should be a voluntary system, that the drivers decide if they have fitted to their car or not, and that they decide if they want to over-ride the speed limit - that should be their choice," he said.

You've taken the responsibility away from the driver and that is not [good] for road safety

Claire Armstrong

Safe Speed

There would also be a positive impact on emissions and fuel consumption, he added.

Jon York, fleet manager for British Gas, whose vans are already limited to 70mph, told BBC Radio 5 Live the system had reduced road incidents for the company.

But he said the introduction of technology had to be combined with safety education.

"It does aid road safety, it does reduce incidents, but it is part of a wide-ranging number of initiatives within British Gas and one of those is driver training because you have to change people's behaviour."

Overtaking worries

But Claire Armstrong, from the road safety charity Safe Speed, said that the devices could be dangerous.

She said truck drivers using speed-limiting devices had been shown to "go into fatigue mode or zombie mode" and stopped paying attention to the road.

"That makes it highly dangerous in those scenarios. So you've taken the responsibility away from the driver and that is not [good] for road safety."

Derek Charters, from the Motor Industry Research Association, believes limiting speed automatically could cause accidents.

"The last thing you need is one car to be overtaking and then pull back in, in front of the cars in front, because that braking event will then cause everybody to start to slow down, which will then compress the traffic, which then causes an incident."

Motoring journalist Quentin Wilson said he also believed taking away driver control was a "really, really bad thing".

"Remotely policing the roads from satellites in the sky - I would worry about it an awful lot."

Once again another crappy stab at making the roads safer. When are they going to learn that its quite safe to go quicker than the speed limit when reasonable?! :dry: What we need is better training, let people drive as quick as they like, but cause an incident/accident and you get a massive fine or a ban. Easy :teeth:

There will always be accidents and I don't think this will be the answer.

I dont like the idea of this system, even using cruise control seems to make it easier to forget about paying attention. There is too great a focus on removal of personal responsibility.

They had an article on the news about this last night. I think the potential for disaster is pretty large. If you suddenly loose power (or power drops as such) and the person behind is still zapping along as they've chosen not to use the restriction........ I wonder what stance insurance companies take on the whole thing?

They had an article on the news about this last night. I think the potential for disaster is pretty large. If you suddenly loose power (or power drops as such) and the person behind is still zapping along as they've chosen not to use the restriction........ I wonder what stance insurance companies take on the whole thing?

Insurance is pretty simple around rear ending someone. Its your fault if you go into the back of someone. No matter what the circumstances, you should have left enough room that should they do an emergency stop, you can stop too. I found that out the hard way when some old biddly decided to stop in a roundabout feeder lane in my old Clio :rant:

Insurance is pretty simple around rear ending someone. Its your fault if you go into the back of someone. No matter what the circumstances, you should have left enough room that should they do an emergency stop, you can stop too.

Yes, same here.

I wonder if the brake lights come on too, to indicate that the car is having power taken???