Changed my oil - now worried about high pressure

marzman

Hey all,

I had my oil changed last week, and im now paranoid about the pressure gauge.

When i check the dipstick when the engine is cold, the oil level is closer to Full rather than the middle of the marker.

Then, until the car is warmed up, even driving slowly my oil pressure gauge is maxed out - which is worrying me. When the car has warmed, things seem better, with it idling at roughly 1/3rd the way around, but it does top out when revving high (normal i presume).

I had a new filter fitted at the same time, and i have the left over oil, so i know they didnt use the whole 5 litre bottle, but am i at risk of damaging something (such as seals/gaskets) if the pressure is that high???

Chris.

Stop engine and wait for 10 minutes. Check the engine oil level. must be on level ground

what oil filter did you use ?

too much oil is as bad as too little but it should be ok anywhere between the markers on the dipstick, iirc 4.4 litres is a oil and filter change

maybe the problem is the guage and not the oil level

what do you mean by tops out ? the needle going all the way too the right :scare:

what oil did you use ?

Oops. I told the garage 4.7 :blush:

I used a standard one (non-nissan though). Cant remember the name of it, it just came up in my local motor factor shop's big book - for a Nissan Fairlady.

So, im guessing as i checked the level cold and it was pretty high, its gonna be over the maximum marker 10mins after driving...

If thats the case - how do i get a bit out?? I can spend an hour and keep pulling the dipstick out and wiping off a bit at a time... but if i take out the sump plug the whole log will go wont it?? Arghh!

I used a standard one (non-nissan though). Cant remember the name of it, it just came up in my local motor factor shop's big book - for a Nissan Fairlady.

So, im guessing as i checked the level cold and it was pretty high, its gonna be over the maximum marker 10mins after driving...

If thats the case - how do i get a bit out?? I can spend an hour and keep pulling the dipstick out and wiping off a bit at a time... but if i take out the sump plug the whole log will go wont it?? Arghh!

what oil was it ? you can take the sump plug out and hold it in the hole to reduce the flow to drain some off but it should not be a problem if the level is between the markers

and no it will show a higher level when cold than after allowing it to stand for 10 mins because it wont have had time to drain to the sump :thumbs:

you are def reading the dipstick right ?

what oil was it ? you can take the sump plug out and hold it in the hole to reduce the flow to drain some off but it should not be a problem if the level is between the markers

and no it will show a higher level when cold than after allowing it to stand for 10 mins because it wont have had time to drain to the sump :thumbs:

you are def reading the dipstick right ?

It was Millers CFS Fully Synthetic (what Big Phil uses as standard i think).

I didnt know it'd be higher when cold - i assumed when it got warm it would expand and be higher!

And yes, i assume im reading the dipstick right... my mate at the garage was looking at it with me anyway!

I'll check it tomorrow after letting it run.

Having said all that - next time someone is out - please just have a look at the oil gauge and let me know how high it is until it has warmed up...

could be a dodgy sender unit making the guage nisread, i have never seen mine max out

http://www.350zmotoring.com/forums/gene ... stion.html

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic ... l+pressure

The oil pressure gauge shows the pressure created in the engine by the oil pump. It is linked to a 'sender' which is what actually measures the pressure. I don't know exactly what form the sender has on the Z but it will most likely be a spring-loaded diaphragm.

On start-up until the car is warm the pressure will read between half-way and three-quarters on the gauge, I forget what this equates to exactly but I think between 60 and 90psi. When warm the gauge normally reads at the first, quarter-mark which is about 30psi IIRC.

The Nissan test for low oil pressure defines the threshold below which to be concerned as 14psi again IIRC.

could be a dodgy sender unit making the guage nisread, i have never seen mine max out

http://www.350zmotoring.com/forums/gene ... stion.html

No mention of a sender unit in that thread - they just say it should go back to normal in a few hundred miles, and that others have experienced this. I'll just take it easy until the car's warmed up from now on (something i really should do anyway, but i dont, seeing as there's a lovely dual carriageway 0.5miles from my house!)

Good link though, cheers gix.

:thumbs:

As has been said previously but I would like to add.

I would not be taking any chances with an aftermaket oil filter.

Best to fit Genuine Nissan every time....Part # 15208 - 9F600

Alex.

+1 i have heard good reports about k&n and the magnetic filters but i've always bought oem :thumbs:

You know what, i know it had a '208' on the box - thats all i can remember! I think its just a standard fit generic filter for nissans'.

Its not uprated or anything, it just isnt nissan.

...but point taken - if this problem goes away, when i do the next change in a few thousand miles then i'll put genuine nissan in there :thumbs:

Mines always hovering up the top end when cold chris (under a little throttle), wouldn't really worry about it, as the lads said, aslong as its the right viscosity (10-40W i think) and at the right level, it shouldn't make a difference. Let us know if something blows though :scare:

Mine always tops up when cold... and when warm, it can top up at very hard engine load...didnt have any probs so far and the car did it from brand new.... :)

the way to check the oil level is by letting the engine warm up properly. then turn the engine off and wait for about 5 mins. then it should be at about max. oil expands when hot but circulates as well when the engine is running. so u need to check the level after that difference occurs. ;)

had a word with Phil about that fully synthetic oil a couple of months ago and he was adamant that its superior to mama stuff...he was quite convincing... :lol:

Similar here, so I wouldn't worry. When cold it reaches up to a needles width of the max 120 marker. Once warm it's still at 90 when doing 70mph on the motorway. Just had oil and filter replaced at Nissan dealer. No difference pre/post service.

Another gauge = another thing to worry about :lol:

Once warm sits at just under 30 with normal idle revs

Cheers guys.

The oil i've added is 5w40. Been looking at it the last few days, and until i've been driving 10mins and its warmed up, the pressure guage is maxing out completely if i go over 20mph. I wont do anything as my oil level is correct (checked after letting the engine cool for 10mins, so it must be new oil + the weather.

I'll update in a couple of hundred miles.

Yeah do mate, i dont know whats normal, but mine is nothing like that.

Once warm at about 70mph in 6th mine is at about 70psi or so.

I used 5W-30 fully synthetic oil in mine.

This is the reccomended oil viscosity to use according to the owners manual.

look in Technical Information, section 8.3

Adrian

• 1 month later...

Sorry to drudge up old threads, but this is the only one that came up when I searched for the part number. Just bought an oil filter off t'internet - part number 15208-9F600. The box says it's for an Almera with QG15 and 18 engines!

Is this definitely the right filter for the 350Z? - looks very small!