New discs + pads

D'Milla

I own a 350z 06 plate . I visited a Nissan Dealer today. They informed me I need new pads(4)+rear discs+tyres(4) costing a total of 1,767.00....what the blaze!

I was wondering if you would advise buying the parts from

http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/car/part ... 2003%2D%29

&

http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/car/part ... 2003%2D%29

instead of a Nissan dealership. I was also interested where I would turn to find a garage to fit them???

Welcome to the forum :thumbs:

There's a few traders on here can help with brakes, depending on how you use the car and your budget. Anything from EBC, through DBA, Ferodo, Dixcel Brake and to Performance Friction. Even AP Racing full conversion (for less than the Nissan price too!)

What do you use the car for? Any track time etc.? :)

Wow, 1st time I've joined a user group, the response has been great. I mainly use the car for motorway trips.

I've currently got the standard breaks + discs on car. I'd be interested in seeing a few of the traders websites. Also, I live in London, any idea where I could go to get the parts fitted?

I also need a set of new tyres, I'm guessing the traders websites will be the right direction to go.

Cheers

A good place for tyres is http://www.camskill.co.uk/

If you were local to Leicester I could get you a good deal on standard size tyres, as we deal with all the major brands and also have a good dealer link with most of the tyre places locally… :thumbs:

For day to day driving, the EBC Redstuff pads would suit your needs, you can have this option with either their standard discs, which look the same as the Nissan discs you have on your car but they're less than half the price than what Nissan quote.

Another good option to the standard discs is the EBC Turbo Groove discs. As per my PM, we carry them in stock, so if you need more info etc do let me know... :thumbs:

If this is the first time you've used a car forum, you might like this one! ;)

For standard driving, then the EBC stuff will be fine. If you want a bit more stopping power then you could add Ferodo pads with the EBC discs. Our trader's links are on the front page if you want to have a browse. Any questions, just ask!

As for fitting in London, it depends how handy you are with a spanner! It's not hard at all to change discs and pads yourself. If you want someone to fit them for you, I would suggest a short drive out of London. One of the members from the Croydon / Kent / Essex ways will no doubt have some recommendations.

At my first service they indicated the brake pads only had a short life left (if I remember about 6000 miles). The car had only done 4000 at the time. Strange that 15000 miles later they are still on the car. I'd be very wary of the stealers (especially at this time) & what they say. Might be worth having them checked out at an independent.

Hmmm Nissan main dealers. Gotta love them :) Ive had good and bad experiences with the same dealership in Nottingham.

GOOD: Really patient sorting out the knocking noise from the front of my car - turned out to be a loose drop link.

BAD: They replaced the two rear drop links first - even to the noise was from the F R O N T of the car...

GOOD: Sorted my brake bleed out for me

BAD: Snapped the ruddy caliper bleed nipple on the rear caliper ! Then told me it wasnt availble as a spare and i would need a new caliper - 900 quid! BigPhil came to rescue with the official Nissan part number for a new bleed nipple - 22 quid each !

GOOD: Had a bad squeal at startup from my 'new' belts (fitted by a mate a few months earlier at his garage) Took car to Nissan for a free look-see...

BAD: apparently i need new belts (erm, they are already new!) and new tensioners! They wanted over 400 quid. I got my mate to tighten the belts a little after they had stretched from new - no more squealing.

I wont tell you about the 4 month old front discs i bought frm ESR that apprently now need 'replacing' with standard Nissan parts....at over 600 quid for the pair!!! (The ESR discs BTW are totally fine!)

Honestly, complete swings and roundabouts with Nissan - either you get great service or a complete farce....do they flip a coin each day i wonder..? :o)