Always around Christmas - just when you need the damn thing!

stanski

Driving into work this morning and heard a ping noise then a dragging metalic scraping noise - fortunately just as entering car park - pressed the brakes gently - fine no problems that I can hear - expecting the rear hubs to be making dragging noise when pressed but not?

Parked up and looked around underneath - could'nt see anything loose or hanging off? So it must be rear hubs I think? :rant:

Just had a quick look at Steve's guide to get an idea how the rear hubs look like (excellent guide btw http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16773) so I think something has broken off inside the hub and is rolling around inside? Any ideas what it could be ?

I guess Zed rear hubs are like just like any others? Spring clip?

So I need too take the brenbo's off the hub off and have a rummage? Yes?

Of course most spares places are shut over Christmas so car is beached till new year! Thank goodness I have the van! :surrender:

Not 100% sure but I had a spring clip break in my beetle years ago - and it fell into the hub .Everytime I pressed the brakes it pushed the shoe against the washer against the hub - hence horrible scraping noise?

On the Zed the rear brakes are seperate to the handbrake are'nt they- the one thing I hav'nt tried is drive it slowly and apply the handbrake only - will give it a go at lunch?

Could'nt see anything on the road in (incase anything feel off)

Only thing is the Zed has been parked up for a few days and its been heavy rain - when I moved it this morning the pads were welded onto the discs as normal so I gently move off till they pop free - one of them sounded quite loud so wonder if thats anything to do with it?? BRakes appear to be working ok no scraping noise just a noise when moving - with no brakes applied?? Just as well it happened at work and not on the motorway? :headhurt:

Hi Stan

it could be a stone or something stuck behind the dust shield on the brake disc or even between the pad and disc

yes thanks think you are right? just went back and forth amd spotted a lump of plastic on the road? not zed plastic then tried rollong and braking with handbrake no noise and foot brake ok. just nipped out all ok so far but tried stop with handbrake and same noise from rear will check again on way back to work? thanks for advice gents

Just got back to work - well its deffo looking like the rear hubs?

Brakes all quiet and rolling along no noise anymore.

With the side window down and applying the handbrake while rolling at a slow pace I can hear a click from the N/S - so maybe I will have to take the hub off to see inside after all ? Handbrake seems to work ok still but probably a spring or clip may have come away?

Horrible scraping noise has gone so maybe its fallen away from anything it catches on or the scraping was from the lump of plastic that may have been caught in the wheel as suggested?

Either way the poor rascal is beached now till the New Year between family and work ...... :surrender:

Thanks folks - its still under warranty I know the wear out bits are'nt but if the clips or linkages are bust surely they are?

Failing that I will just do it myself - not a stranger to car mechanics it cant be harder than a beetle or 1950's classic can it!! :wacko:

I'm more annoyed about it happening now - no time to look at it, by the time I get home it pitch black, raining and still need to finish off Christmas stuff before Wednesday nothing like last minute is it!! :surrender:

It's not the driveshaft is it? That clicks if it's playing up when you drive off slowly.

Like you said - warranty jobbie if it's not the discs or pads.

I've got a spare set of endless pads in the garage if you need to try them. PM me if you wanna try them Stan, I'm at home tomorrow if your in work.

It's not the driveshaft is it? That clicks if it's playing up when you drive off slowly.

Like you said - warranty jobbie if it's not the discs or pads.

I've got a spare set of endless pads in the garage if you need to try them. PM me if you wanna try them Stan, I'm at home tomorrow if your in work.

Hi Matey

thanks for the offer matey :thumbs: - only just seen this - been off the site for a bit- busy getting house ready for inlaws etc over Christmas.

its not the axle. The Zed is parked up till I can get a spare weekend in Jan - its deffo the handbrake mechanism somewhere as it only clicks when I apply handbrake - bit like a clip has come away or something??? Got a new set of rear pads a while back they need changing anyway so will do them and hopefully check the inner hub also - lets hope I dont need a puller to get the hub off! :surrender: Of course will do a photo journal incase anyone else needs to see the innards of a Zed's hub (how exciting eh!) :lol: