Arming the factory alarm is silent - can you change it?

Xendric

Title says it all.

When I arm the alarm system using the key fob, I get a signal from my warning lights but no sound.

My car is german, so it came with a german owner's manual and I can't understand a word. I downloaded the US manual and it says that if you hold both the lock/unlock buttons for a while, it will change it so that you will also get a horn signal when you arm/disarm. But it's not the case in Euro cars I suppose, because it doesn't work on my car.

Can you toggle this? Also where can i download the Euro spec owner's manual?

Cheers

Alex

Well after finding out the other day from sarnie that you can un-lock both doors on the fob, with ne click !. Be intresting to see if any of the guys can help you on this, allways wondered this, but most modern cars no longer have the horn or siren blip off, when arming and de-arming .

Well after finding out the other day from sarnie that you can un-lock both doors on the fob, with ne click !. Be intresting to see if any of the guys can help you on this, allways wondered this, but most modern cars no longer have the horn or siren blip off, when arming and de-arming .

This didnt work for me, anyone else tried it ?

I beleive that there was a certain cutoff (perhaps post 06) where you can change the blipper to open one or both doors on a sinlge button press. It doesnt work on my 53 reg. Something like holding down both buttons on the blipper for a certain number of seconds. Quick search should reveal all :)

:lol: And why is it all detective programs when locking their cars on the TV 'blip' can be heard, and they all have the same 'blip' as well ! Creases me up when I hear them.

My 54 has no blip and you have to unlock twice to unlock the passengers door. Hands up how many passengers have tried to open the door just too quickly and the passengers door becomes wedged ffs! And you have to push the door hard to close and then try and double unlock the remote to open - stupid design.

Lifted from the other thread:

If you refer to your handbook you will see you can alter the setting so that both doors unlock with just one press of the entry button. ;)

Hold both the open button and close button at the same time for 5 secs IIRC to change the setting ;)

Its an anti carjacking facility.

For anyone not having success, Sarnie is nearly right - but the book says you push the buttons simultaneously for more than 5 seconds

Just repeat the procedure if you want to go back to just the driver's door lock opening.

Now it works, cheers bud :thumbs:

Not sure if I am reading the issue right on this thread, but you don't get an 'alarm' noise just the click of the door lock working and hazard lights flashing (flash twice to unlock and once to lock) The option of opening just the drivers door or both doors together was a feature on my 04 UK ZED and the curent 56 UK ZED so not sure why some of you are having probs :headhurt: Might be worth trying the 5 sec+ routine if you haven't done that yet ;)

About the one-door/two-doors thingy...

I have my car (a 35th year anni) for 2 or 3 weeks now. I'm pretty sure when I got it, I had to press it twice to unlock both doors, which immediately reminded me of my old Grand Cherokee.

Now, a few days later I downloaded the US owner's manual and it mentioned that if you press both lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for a few seconds, it will make it so your alarm gives a blip when you lock/unlock.

I tried it, but nothing changed. However, at the moment, my car only takes one press of the unlock button on the keyfob to unlock both doors.

I don't know if what I did changed anything, because I only noticed it a couple of days ago, but it's worth trying I guess ;)

About the one-door/two-doors thingy...

I have my car (a 35th year anni) for 2 or 3 weeks now. I'm pretty sure when I got it, I had to press it twice to unlock both doors, which immediately reminded me of my old Grand Cherokee.

Now, a few days later I downloaded the US owner's manual and it mentioned that if you press both lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for a few seconds, it will make it so your alarm gives a blip when you lock/unlock.

I tried it, but nothing changed. However, at the moment, my car only takes one press of the unlock button on the keyfob to unlock both doors.

I don't know if what I did changed anything, because I only noticed it a couple of days ago, but it's worth trying I guess ;)

Cheers bud, will give this a go when i get home :thumbs:

Is the one door/two door thing based on where the car is from? I only ask because mine is a JDM 53 plate and both my doors unlock when I push the key fob button once - it always has done.

To add another twist to the tale if I push the button inside the drivers door to lock the car (not the lock itself but the button on the arm rest bit) it only locks the passenger door and not the drivers. Only way I can lock the drivers door from the inside is to push the manual lock switch on the handle - which also locks the passenger door at the same time :wacko:

Im totally confused :lol: