Discussion on for sale threads

3FIDDYZ

Agreed, but he did it on a public forum where he knew people could post anything they want after he left. If he didn't want comments then he could either have asked a Mod to lock it or simply post somewhere else.
I have to agree with Milly, just because this is a forum doesn't mean you're fair game if you advertise on it. Perhaps he didn't expect to come under attach from his fellow members.

Agreed, but he did it on a public forum where he knew people could post anything they want after he left. If he didn't want comments then he could either have asked a Mod to lock it or simply post somewhere else.
I have to agree with Milly, just because this is a forum doesn't mean you're fair game if you advertise on it. Perhaps he didn't expect to come under attach from his fellow members.

neither should he, we are supposed to be a like minded community :thumbs:

as sarnie said earlier, Any member advertising in the for sale section can ask for the thread to be locked after posting. Perhaps the stickie should be mentioned to point this out and also the forum info bit. I will make these changes now.

Wouldn't really call it an attack as such, as he was asking a ridiculous price for his car and someone called him on it. If words like "lying cheating thieving git" had been used then that would've been quite inappropriate and would've deserved some kind of modding. Should a community let people rip off it's members, whether it's intentional or not? I've not been here long enough to speak for this place, but personally speaking I feel that any kind of locking or censorship of FS sale threads does nothing but hinder the community as a whole.

There's a difference between passing comment and having an uncharitable pop at someone.

Wouldn't really call it an attack as such, as he was asking a ridiculous price for his car and someone called him on it. If words like "lying cheating thieving git" had been used then that would've been quite inappropriate and would've deserved some kind of modding. Should a community let people rip off it's members, whether it's intentional or not? I've not been here long enough to speak for this place, but personally speaking I feel that any kind of locking or censorship of FS sale threads does nothing but hinder the community as a whole.

There's a difference between passing comment and having an uncharitable pop at someone.

i kind o agree, but this is no different to the prices that nissan dealerships were trying to sell me a zed for.

and there passing comment was some one will buy it.

well if someone is stupid enough to not research and buy the first one they see then its kinda there own fault.

but i would think that most people are sensible enough that i they made it on to this forum they have a little nouse about them.

it gives some oen astarting point to haggle on.

the buyer doesn;t have to sell that cheap, and the buyer doesn't have to pay that much. its all down to choice. and in some ways it should be left between the buyer and the seller. if either want advice, then i think because they are on here they would ask for it. and many people as is evident will happily give it.

but in some ways it should be assummed on sales threads that advice is only given if asked for.

Thing is Rich, you're still comparing all this to your experience which is somewhat unique in that everyone told you your car was overpriced and it didn't sell, and then you found a car that was at a dealer, so is always going to be more expensive than a private sale, and that was overpriced too as it hadn't sold. Both prices were over the top, and both cars didn't sell because of it. You were more than happy to tell the dealer that their car was overpriced: I'm not sure I can really see the difference between that and here.

Okay, I can see the difference obviously, but you see what I'm getting at.

but i adjusted my price accordingly, it came down repeatedly, i had lots of interest and i negotiated on price.

i think my problem was to many cars for sale, and people didn't like my mods.

possibly returning to stock might have helped, and i did to a part.

but looking at for sales thread on this foruma dn others, i'd much rather browse through single post ads. than have to fumble through all the other stuff everyone else posts.

i can see what your getting at, but i kinda feel most people have alot of common sense, especially when it comes to dropping 10-15 k on a car.

Do you really think that anyone would have been ripped off and paid that price for it? Its not like he's selling something so obscure that someone could be bamboozled into thinking its a good price. There are comparable cars on this very site, Autotrader, Pistonheads et al. As Rich mentioned, anyone who has such a wealth of information and still pays wildly over the odds for a car doesn't need protecting from the seller, they need protecting from themselves. To suggest that spamming a sellers thread with negative comments is an altruistic service to potential members is either naive or not being entirely honest.

Do you really think that anyone would have been ripped off and paid that price for it? Its not like he's selling something so obscure that someone could be bamboozled into thinking its a good price. There are comparable cars on this very site, Autotrader, Pistonheads et al. As Rich mentioned, anyone who has such a wealth of information and still pays wildly over the odds for a car doesn't need protecting from the seller, they need protecting from themselves. To suggest that spamming a sellers thread with negative comments is an altruistic service to potential members is either naive or not being entirely honest.

+1 Totally agree Digsy. Like i said earlier you are entitled to advertise the car you are selling at any price you like, its upto the buyer to do his or her research on the correct price to pay. Simple really.Times are very difficult at the moment on prices, these cars have lost value at an alarming rate over the past few months, you are not helping in any way in these posted negative comments.

Again, there's differing ways of saying things, I think we can all agree on that. I'm not saying that it's okay for 400 people to post on a thread crying "Too expensive!" as that's blatantly unfair, but to abandon all comments seems a tad draconian when there's a perfectly acceptable way for the seller to have extraneous comments removed if they so wish.

The Zed in question was at the extreme end of the scale, but where do you draw the line? New Nismo exhausts are, what, £1200 now? Would it be okay for a person to offer a 3-yr old one for sale for £1150? I think we all would say that's an unreasonable price, but Joe Bloggs who has just bought his 350Z finds this place, pops on here, doesn't read all the threads about the cost of various items (which, given the lack of use of the search by some people, is already enough of a chore as it is) and sticks his head in the For Sale section hoping to grab a bargain. He knows of Nismo, sees the exhaust, doesn't see any others for sale and decides he has to have it. Through no fault of his own bar naivety, he's paid a fortune for something second hand he could've had brand new for £50 more.

Again, there's a lot of ifs buts and maybes in there, but it could happen. I'm trying to make a point about FS threads in general rather than the specific thread that started this conversation. Yes, of course I agree with everyone that says that threads shouldn't be bombarded with negativity and anything breaching the realms of sensible good taste should be removed, but there will always be a case where a passing comment or two could help the site and its members, even if it's for people to say what a bargain something is and how good the seller has been with transactions in the past. There's a good side to being able to leave comments, too.

As it stands now, people can ask for threads to be locked and removed of all comments if they want, or it can be left open and free. Giving people the choice should always be preferable if circumstances allow, surely?

I dont understand people who would purposefully go out to comment negatively about something they dont understand

+1 or have no interest in.

Like i said earlier if you have 50 posts you are entitled to sell your car on here at the price that you want for it, and equally its upto the buyer to decide how much he will pay for one. Any haggling or comment on a potential purchase should be done via pm. :thumbs:

AMEN :thumbs:

+1 Completely agree.

It is hard enough trying to sell things at this time as it is. You don't see people standing outside other people's houses telling prospective purchasers that there's a cheaper one around the corner. It's up to the individual buyer - and I don't see why the internet should allow people to do that when people are selling cars. :)

It's all very well offering people advice on the price of their car - but some of the agressive posts I've seen recently in the ads have really put me off. I think we all know a standard 2003 Z with 100K on the clock isn't worth £20,000, but if someone choses to advertise it at that price why is it a problem?

Anyone passing through looking to buy a Z will find all the current price info within 5 minutes on the search engine, or by taking a look at autotrader/pistonheads.

As others have mentioned, several other forums lock the sales threads to the original poster, could be worth considering.

Steve

It's all very well offering people advice on the price of their car - but some of the agressive posts I've seen recently in the ads have really put me off. I think we all know a standard 2003 Z with 100K on the clock isn't worth £20,000, but if someone choses to advertise it at that price why is it a problem?

Anyone passing through looking to buy a Z will find all the current price info within 5 minutes on the search engine, or by taking a look at autotrader/pistonheads.

As others have mentioned, several other forums lock the sales threads to the original poster, could be worth considering.

Steve

The For Sale section has been amended to tell sellers that they can request a thread is locked. We propose to leave it up to the OP to decide but will continue to step in where things get out of hand.

New Nismo exhausts are, what, £1200 now? Would it be okay for a person to offer a 3-yr old one for sale for £1150?

Course its ok for you to put the zorst on for whatever price you feel fit.... Its not yours so how can you put a price on someone elses goods?

Its how it works, You have something, You put a price on it agaisnt percived factors, you put it up for sale... If someone wants to buy it or make an offer then they will.... The zorst could have been sat on a car thats never moved in 3 years... Does it mean its any worse?

It may have been modified at cost for a better result...

If you not interested then why say anything? If you have one that you want to sell put up another post with your perceived value!

Also selling a car with mods, go factor in fitting etc of parts.... A zorst may not be worth the £1200 that was paid for new, but if you buy a stock car, and add a Nismo your paying £100 to £200 to have it fitted...

If someone hasnt done their research its there loss when it dosnt sell...

Wel done to the club for instagating the pinned thread with the option.