Traction Control kicking in for no apparent reason

JAA350Z

Hi,

For the past week (maybe a bit more) when turning right the traction control light comes on and seems to apply the front left hand brake.

It will do this when turning right only (like an island) even when not traveling quickly!

Really throws the car off balance tbh, not nice. Stearing doesnt feel right either somehow. Ive checked the tyre presseures and they are all fine!

Can anyone shed any light on this?

2 weeks ago i had 2 rear tyres fitted, dont know if this has something to do with it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dont like driving her atm. :(

James

Thanks for the reply :)

It had the original Bridgestones on the back. Now it has the same size however these are Toyo's

Front tyres are worn i admit. Not near the legal limit, but the inside edge is very worn. They have done 16,000 miles so wasnt supprised by this.

Its just strange how it seems to have suddenly started to do this.

Maybe its time for some new fronts too?

Traction control works on balance bud, if the new tyres are causing an inbalance in grip this may cause the problem. I know its all down to money but changing the front tyres as well to Toyos will improve matters.
+1 :thumbs:

Even though i agree with the above i feel something more sinister is happening here ;) Why only when you turn right? Might be worth getting the ESP checked out ;)

Could it be possible that one of the traction control sensors was damaged when the wheels were taken off? ;)

But what you are describing sounds a bit more to me than a inbalance of grip to me.

Hmm ok,

Thanks for the advice so far

Well some new tyres seem like a good option first of all especially as its winter.

Like you say beavis it seems weird that its only when turning right.

It was only the rear tyres which were replaced.

If I take the rear wheels off, what am i looking for sensor wise? (where and what they look like)

On the positive, ive fitted a K&N Typhoon and 1/16 plenum spacer this weekend. Love the noise :)

Hmm ok,

Well some new tyres seem like a good option first of all especially as its winter.

If I take the rear wheels off, what am i looking for sensor wise? (where and what they look like)

On the positive, ive fitted a K&N Typhoon and 1/16 plenum spacer this weekend. Love the noise :)

New tyres might well be the answer but i just think it sounds strange. When you say the traction control is kicking in what are you doing at the time? driving slowly and it just kicks in regardless or are you giving it the beans where the front tyres may be on the limit of loosing grip? Not sure where the sensors are but each wheel will be monitored somewhere ;)

Hmm ok,

New tyres might well be the answer but i just think it sounds strange. When you say the traction control is kicking in what are you doing at the time? driving slowly and it just kicks in regardless or are you giving it the beans where the front tyres may be on the limit of loosing grip? Not sure where the sensors are but each wheel will be monitored somewhere ;)

Agree its a bit odd but sounds like he needs new fronts anyway and he might as well try this before some stealer pulls his pants down. :)

Hmm ok,

Agree its a bit odd but sounds like he needs new fronts anyway and he might as well try this before some stealer pulls his pants down. :)

I agree :thumbs:

Haha, ok ill purchase some new tyres now from camskill.

By driving slowely i mean at a reasonable pace, but no where near the capabilities of the car. I took it around the Nurburgring so kinda know where they are now :D.

The fronts are really worn on the inside, but only the first inch.

Could it be possible that somehow ive knocked out the camber?

Also sure ive read somewhere on here about when garages jack in the wrong place and bend something...

(they put the car on a 4 point hydraulic car jack to do the rear tyres)

Appologies for taking so much of your time guys

James

I have had exactly the same problem, i replaced my two bridgestone rears with toyo's, the back end was all over, at first i thought it was something else and spent money on getting it checked out, but it turned out just to be the tires.

Traction would kick in more often on one side than the other and you hardly hard to put much steering and/or acceleration into a corner to get it to kick end.

I dont think you have damaged the car its just toyo rears dont work with stone fronts for some reason. you need to change the fronts or the backs, one way or the other to get a matching set all around.

I changed my rears back to stones and it instantly corrected the problem.

Ahh good man!

Thanks for that reply, took a massive worry off my shoulders :p!

The reason i went for the Toyos is that people seem to rave about them (even over the Falkens).

Had them before on another car and was impressed with the grip (even though the tyre walls are soggy)

Been on 'cam skill' and got 2 new front Toyos, so will have a matching set all around now :)

Do you think i should be ok now?

Ahh good man!

Thanks for that reply, took a massive worry off my shoulders :p!

The reason i went for the Toyos is that people seem to rave about them (even over the Falkens).

Had them before on another car and was impressed with the grip (even though the tyre walls are soggy)

Been on 'cam skill' and got 2 new front Toyos, so will have a matching set all around now :)

Do you think i should be ok now?

i had the very same problem bout a year ago, had stones on the front n toyo's on the back, soon swapped the stones for toyo's on the front and everything was sorted :)

It supprising that having 2 different tyre types makes so much difference!

Does anyone know why this is?

Different tread patterns obviously, but still.. :wacko:

Had a few cars now with different tyres and never had this effect before!

Looks like ill be a driving saint until these new ones are fitted.

Thanks for your help everyone!

James

Traction control works (in general) by sensing the level of grip at each corner, the theory being that if one corner loses grip then you're either driving like a tit or you're driving on something you shouldn't be, so it'll remove power from that corner to sort things out. I think the Zed works by simply cutting spark to the plugs so you get zero power to the back end.

With brand-new and ultra-slippy (for the first thousand miles until the release agent has scrubbed off) Toyos on the back and Bridgestones on the front, worn or not, everytime you put your foot down even a fraction the rear is wanting to step out more than the front, whether you can feel it or not. The car reacts quicker than you, so kicks the TC in to sort you out.