Long term planning - advice wanted

jim

OK guys - some help needed. Once I get Xmas out of the way, I intend to spend a bit of time and money on replacing/upgrading my car audio. My JDM import came with a Japanese after market Clarion unit, which is pretty good quality, but only a few of the functions actually operate. The double din unit has a touch screen, and a DVD player which I can't get to work, even with Japanese disks. It plays CDs and has a reasonably good tuner. It also has a mini-disk unit mounted in the cubby behind the passenger seat. It supports Sat-nav but there are no disks and the remote control was never found by the importer.

Since I rarely use the Mini-disk player, I intend to remove it along with the head unit and that will leave a double din space to fill with a new unit. I would also like to fit a screen for Sat-nav in the cubby (I currently have a portable in there, but would prefer a bigger screen).

I have looked at a lot of the threads about various installs and am getting confused as to what is out there and what I could install myself. I am a bit daunted by the work that Nurrish had to do to dismantle/install the PC unit he put into his cubby, for example. I am now therefore looking for suggestions as to what combination of products would make sensible replacements and would not be beyond a very amateur installer. I don't want to spend a fortune, but like the idea of having two large screens.

A really simple install would be like I have in mine. Its a kenwood 7" touch screen in the cubby and a kenwood sat nav and av box wired in located in the glove box behind the passenger seat for easy access. You get sat nav and can also add in games console, reverse camera etc.

I also went for an Alpine double din touch screen dvd with ipod connection in the main area to give me the two screens. Its all relatively simple to install as long as you dont mind taking your centre console and transmission tunnel apart.

Heres a look:-

DSC01471.jpg

A really simple install would be like I have in mine. Its a kenwood 7" touch screen in the cubby and a kenwood sat nav and av box wired in located in the glove box behind the passenger seat for easy access. You get sat nav and can also add in games console, reverse camera etc.

I also went for an Alpine double din touch screen dvd with ipod connection in the main area to give me the two screens. Its all relatively simple to install as long as you dont mind taking your centre console and transmission tunnel apart.

DSC01471.jpg

That's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about. Two questions -

1. What model is the Kenwood touch screen?

2. How did you fix it in place?

Thanks for the reply. :thumbs:

Loving the two screen setup I must admit :thumbs:

Me too - that's why I'm hoping to get more information about the models and installation. If they're not too pricey, I will definitely be trying to achieve something like this set-up.

DSC01471.jpg

so how easy is it to remove the centre console and transmission tunnel apart. can it go wrong?