private or dealer?

hotrain69

I always buy privatecos I get RAC to check the car ourt for me and I end up saving over 3k :thumbs:

how much do RAC charge to check over the car? do you think the car in the link above is overpriced then? i thought it was pretty reasonable.

Depends if you are a member with them or not, expect to pay around £140 but its worth every penny. They are there for like 3 house checking every inch of the car. Only thing they dont do is cam belt for obvious reasons. Never pay the private price on face value, haggle haggle haggle. I normally get my friendto call them up and offer them a really cheap price to get them humming and erring, then Ill come in with a £100 more and offer it there and then, normally works ;)

great advice thank you. will RAC be able to check a car that is at a dealer?

I always buy privatecos I get RAC to check the car ourt for me and I end up saving over 3k :thumbs:

how much do RAC charge to check over the car? do you think the car in the link above is overpriced then? i thought it was pretty reasonable.

Depends if you are a member with them or not, expect to pay around £140 but its worth every penny. They are there for like 3 house checking every inch of the car. Only thing they dont do is cam belt for obvious reasons. Never pay the private price on face value, haggle haggle haggle. I normally get my friendto call them up and offer them a really cheap price to get them humming and erring, then Ill come in with a £100 more and offer it there and then, normally works ;)

great advice thank you. will RAC be able to check a car that is at a dealer?

Yeh they check anywhere in the country dealer or private, give them up to 4 days and prewarn the dealer or seller before they come down. If the dealer or seller has a problem with car being inspected its usually because they have something to hide :dry:

An HPI check will reveal if the car has suffered severe damage. The rest really is down to how confident you feel you are in assessing the overall condition of a car.

True, but I know someone who rolled a new Lotus on a trackday and stupidly wasn't covered on the insurance. A lot of money was paid to fix the car up but it wasn't reported. Not sure of the legality of doing that - I wouldn't want to buy it and an HPi wouldn't flag it up.

An HPI check will reveal if the car has suffered severe damage. The rest really is down to how confident you feel you are in assessing the overall condition of a car.

True, but I know someone who rolled a new Lotus on a trackday and stupidly wasn't covered on the insurance. A lot of money was paid to fix the car up but it wasn't reported. Not sure of the legality of doing that - I wouldn't want to buy it and an HPi wouldn't flag it up.

+1 HPi are not worth it get a proper check :thumbs:

+1 HPi are not worth it get a proper check :thumbs:

Good point. Hadn't thought of that :thumbs:

anyone know if the wheels on the car in the advert below are any good?

and then in general if the car looks good?

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/ww ... eage=20000

cheers guys. so deperate for my first zed

Any good? They are superb B)

really?

dont really know much abuot them, haven't really seen them before. do you know what they are? like that fact they are 19s though.

I guess the GT4 was dropped as it wasn't true. Lots of dodgy desciptions coming through at the moment. Best to check the forums for cars for sale before looking elsewhere in my opinion.

Always best to post a link up if you are unsure.

I would always buy private overdealer anyday!

Got mine VIN checked and also good once over (used to be mechanic and bought cars from Auction so know what to look for) but if unsure AA check or RAC check can be done for peice of mind and you will get maybe some bargaining power with the seller re brake pads etc......

I got a 2004 GT with 12,000 miles £4000 cheaper than a dealer 2004 GT with 40,00 miles on the clock.Now obviously there is warranty but you can even buy this now...... so I just weight up risks and bonus vs other outgoing costs and make a decision, but always end up buying private or even auction.

I bought an FTO selling private years ago at around 7K from

http://www.charlesworths.co.uk/

and got it for 4K with 3 day money back gaurantee..... now that might not seem long to check it over, but the cost saving was nearly 1/2......

Lots of Auctions now pushing through 350Z's as went to a few myself but then found a good one private,

Hope this helps

Larsdowg

I got a 2004 GT with 12,000 miles £4000 cheaper than a dealer 2004 GT with 40,00 miles on the clock.Now obviously there is warranty but you can even buy this now...... so I just weight up risks and bonus vs other outgoing costs and make a decision, but always end up buying private or even auction.

Larsdowg

how much did you pay for your 04?

Larsdowg

how much did you pay for your 04?

Ended up paying £12,500 after some haggling down a bit :teeth: