Help! Garage have broken my rear caliper!!

andyvvc

Took the car in to get the brake fluid changed. Got a call a few mins back to say the bleed nipple on the rear caliper has been snapped off (by the garage). System was only half bled, so its half new and half old fluid = hardly ideal!

£900+ for a new rear Brembo caliper from Nissan. I'm chatting to the garage again shortly to see what they are prepared to do - apparently the nipple can't be ordered seperately...?

Can anyone shed light on what they have done? Here's an overview:

1 - bled the two fronts. Put new fluid in the reservior.

2 - tried to bleed rears - one nipple snapped

3 - said that nipples should be greased regulrly to prevent them snappng (is this true?)

Is this even the correct bleed order for the nipples? I thought it should be rear, front, rear, front? Do the nipples need to be greased? The calipers are kelpt clean - the cover on the nipple is always checked (by me) when i wash the car. Never been missing, loose etc.

I'm worried they are going to try and fob me off (hopefully not!). I fail to see how its my fault? If the nipple was too hard to turn, then surely i ought to have been called and asked if i wanted them to proceed with the work?

Thoughts appreciated all.

Took the car in to get the brake fluid changed. Got a call a few mins back to say the bleed nipple on the rear caliper has been snapped off (by the garage). System was only half bled, so its half new and half old fluid = hardly ideal!

£900+ for a new rear Brembo caliper from Nissan. I'm chatting to the garage again shortly to see what they are prepared to do - apparently the nipple can't be ordered seperately...?

Can anyone shed light on what they have done? Here's an overview:

1 - bled the two fronts. Put new fluid in the reservior.

2 - tried to bleed rears - one nipple snapped

3 - said that nipples should be greased regulrly to prevent them snappng (is this true?)

Is this even the correct bleed order for the nipples? I thought it should be rear, front, rear, front? Do the nipples need to be greased? The calipers are kelpt clean - the cover on the nipple is always checked (by me) when i wash the car. Never been missing, loose etc.

I'm worried they are going to try and fob me off (hopefully not!). I fail to see how its my fault? If the nipple was too hard to turn, then surely i ought to have been called and asked if i wanted them to proceed with the work?

Thoughts appreciated all.

Absolute rubbish.

Bleed nipple available seperately.

Part no 4112912U-25

£26.05 plus VAT

brembo calipers do have a history of this happening...i have heard of a few cases like this...i havent bled my brakes yet cos im afraid of the nipple breaking off...

Phil: if the nipple breaks inside the caliper....I hear its a complete caliper change as you cant get it out?? is this true? I might just order this replacement part prior to getting the work done..lol

brembo calipers do have a history of this happening...i have heard of a few cases like this...i havent bled my brakes yet cos im afraid of the nipple breaking off...

Phil: if the nipple breaks inside the caliper....I hear its a complete caliper change as you cant get it out?? is this true? I might just order this replacement part prior to getting the work done..lol

No it can be removed, bit fiddly but cheaper than a new caliper.

Ahhh! Perhaps this is the issue? maybe it has snapped *inside* the caliper? If this has happened, am i fubar'd? Or could it be drilled out and a new nipple attached??

EDIT - already answered by Phil in ludicrously quick time! Thanks again!! ^^^^^

Reet then. Latest update (and cheers to all for the advice so far too!)

I've got two nipples on order thru Nissan. I've agreed to pay for these based on the garage sorting out the (professional) removal of the old nipple, fitting the new ones, and then re-flushing the brake system all for FREE.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the garage to confirm the details. The nipples are on back-order apparently anyway lol!

I'll wait and see what they do before i name and shame (although anyone searching thru my older posts will find the name of the garage). In their defense they were really good to me the last few times i have used them. Lets hope this pattern continues :)

I've got two nipples on order thru Nissan. I've agreed to pay for these based on the garage sorting out the (professional) removal of the old nipple, fitting the new ones, and then re-flushing the brake system all for FREE.

Wouldn't accept that myself. They broke it. They fix it and finish the job they started. I'd expect the system re-flushed for free and I'd still pay for the original job card.