MOT tomorrow. Need info on ...UPDATE - help with fog light!

marzman

Hey guys... im very nervous as its MOT time tomorrow :cry:

Im pretty certain its gonna fail as the handbrake is more or less useless, so my question is what parts do i need in order to get it right?

Are there brake shoes required or something? Does anyone know the part numbers, or a generic part i can get etc etc. Its for a JDM non-brembo.

The other thing im fairly certain it will fail on is the headlight alignment, as i replaced the drivers headlight with a USA unit (£40 delivered, off eBay - bargain!). I have adjusted it to point as low and to the left as i can, but i dont know if its good enough. If it fails on that i'll have to swap it back to the UK unit i've still got - but the lens is clouded up so it might fail on that too! If it does i'll have to put them both in the oven and swap the lenses over :wacko:

...so wish me luck... im not gonna sleep tonight!!

Should be just a simple adjustment ( whip the centre ash tray out and u can see the adjustment screw below (10mm I seem to remember)

Pads shouldnt need doing as its a drum brake design, (inside the rear disc) so not exposed to the elements and dont wear to much as its not used to slow down the car (or shouldnt be u might like ur Handbrake turns)

Why do you use your handbrake on the auto????

When I drive my familys cars (mum, sister and Dad all have autos) I just use P......

Good question. This is the only auto i've ever driven so i dont know any different. May well stop using it!

Should be just a simple adjustment ( whip the centre ash tray out and u can see the adjustment screw below (10mm I seem to remember)

Pads shouldnt need doing as its a drum brake design, (inside the rear disc) so not exposed to the elements and dont wear to much as its not used to slow down the car (or shouldnt be u might like ur Handbrake turns)

The 10mm screw under the ashtray is for the handbrake handle travel adjustment - which is worth a go before the MOT - it could solve the problem if it's just tightening the cable that needs doing.

If the shoes are slightly worn, you can try the shoe adjuster on each wheel, takes a bit longer tho! - Take a look at step 23 of the non-brembo rear-brakes change guide I posted last week ;)

How to: Change non-Brembo rear discs & pads

Otherwise changing the shoes is a relatively easy job if you own a set of spanners, breaker bar and a trolley jack - release handbrake, take the discs off (as in my guide), loosen handbrake cable adjuster at the ash-tray to make shoe removal easier, remove brake shoe holding pins and springs - then the shoes should pull apart and come out :)

Steve

The 10mm screw under the ashtray is for the handbrake handle travel adjustment - which is worth a go before the MOT - it could solve the problem if it's just tightening the cable that needs doing.

If the shoes are slightly worn, you can try the shoe adjuster on each wheel, takes a bit longer tho! - Take a look at step 23 of the non-brembo rear-brakes change guide I posted last week ;)

How to: Change non-Brembo rear discs & pads

Otherwise changing the shoes is a relatively easy job if you own a set of spanners, breaker bar and a trolley jack - release handbrake, take the discs off (as in my guide), loosen handbrake cable adjuster at the ash-tray to make shoe removal easier, remove brake shoe holding pins and springs - then the shoes should pull apart and come out :)

Steve

Cheers Steve, good guide. But i wont be doing this myself... Well, i might have if i'd posted the question before the weekend but its too late now :wacko:

So does anyone know if the brake shoes are readily available from a standard motor factors store, incase i need them?

Okay, i fixed my windscreen washers, but i've got a question about the foglight.

As the cars a JDM, the foglight will have been added for the SVA. When i flick the rocker switch by my right knee, the light on the switch comes on, but i can hear a quick, distinct buzz from the fuse panel by my right foot. This happens when i turn it off also.

So, does this sound like a blown fuse, or is this normal. And from the pics, does anyone have any suggestions as to which fuse it may be?!

I've just tried to get to the fog light bulb, but it looks like a bumper off job as there's no access to the bulb having taken the taillight off. - im guessing UK units can get to the bulb no problem eh? Never mind.

So, if someone with a JDM and a working foglight can check if their's buzzes, then i'd very much appreciate it!!

Cheers

Chris.

Fuse panel:

Photo0491.jpg

Jap instructions:

Photo0497.jpg

Back of fog light looking down from headlight...:

Photo0495.jpg

bulb would be the first thing I'd check. You should be able to reach the bulb by removing the rear brake light. You can reach and change the indicator bulb that way

Thats my dilemma - i've had the brake light off, but there's no access to the foglight bulb. I can get to the indicator there, but im guessing cos it was an SVA frig, the unit doesnt have the standard bulb access - hence i need to take the bumper off... so in this case the fuse is easier to check! :wacko:

Cough.. Search ...

Knew my post would be useful for others

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16851

But saying that I doubt a retro fited fog would run through the main fuse box Im guessing it would have an inline fuse somewhere. Does the fog actually work? you havent said it yet?

:teeth: all my search terms contained the word FOG!

The fog light used to work but now doesnt, meaning its either the bulb or the fuse... dcash - can you hear a buzz when you switch yours on?

Useful link though... will print it out for future reference!