Plenum Spacer

wutang200

Don't think you need a remap but i will be corrected if i'm wrong.

It will give you more mid range grunt and the ecu will not interfere :thumbs:

+1 - no remap required, and it will give more mid range grunt and I beleive a tiny bit of top end power. ECU cant cancel it out as its not increasing the airflow to the engine, its just balancing it better between the cylinders.

:thumbs:

I've been looking at the Import Tuner mag power pages on the 350Z. I like the way they're base-lined with a dyno run and then made another run after each mod and commented on the torque/bhp gains losses.

2006 350Z ( MotorDyne MREV2 lower collector, MotorDyne 5/16th intake plenum spacer, AEM cold air intake) http://www.importtuner.com/tech/powerpages/0703_impp_2006_nissan_350z_power_pages/index.html

2005 350Z (Buddy Club Pro Spec III, Injen Cold Air Intake, Skunk2 Plenum Spacer) http://www.importtuner.com/tech/powerpages/0605_impp_2005_nissan_350z/index.html

2003 350Z (HKS Hi-Power Exhaust, K&N Filter Element, Direct Power System Grounding System) http://www.importtuner.com/powerpages/0512_impp_2003_nissan_350z/index.html

I know you have to take some dyno info with a pinch of salt but it's good to see a comparison from mod to mod.

hi all, ive just ordered a motor dyne plenum spacer and thermal gasket, hope 2receive and fit it within the next 48hrs. Does anyone know if i would gain anymore from having a re-map as well. I also have high flow cats and k & n panel filter fitted. If so is there anywhere some1 knows of in the south east, (kent, essex, sussex, london region) that could do it?

hi all, ive just ordered a motor dyne plenum spacer and thermal gasket, hope 2receive and fit it within the next 48hrs. Does anyone know if i would gain anymore from having a re-map as well. I also have high flow cats and k & n panel filter fitted. If so is there anywhere some1 knows of in the south east, (kent, essex, sussex, london region) that could do it?

There would be gains to be had from a remap, but not very much bang for buck wise. You might get an extra 10-20BHP (intake, spacer, exhaust) and upto say 40BHP with all the mods (intake, exhaust, cats, plenum spacer, possible cams, headers, etc), but with a remap weighing in at £1200-1500 (piggybag ECU and mapping), its not a lot, especially if all you have is intake, spacer, cats and exhuast, as the only real performace booster there is the spacer.

Can a grounding kit do this?

Dyno 4

Direct Power System

249.9 HP 236.2 TQ

Pros

As much as it may be hard to believe, yes, it is only a grounding box. We still are in doubt that the grounding kit makes power but we have tested them a dozen or so times and every single time they have made power. The key is to test several different locations to see which grounding spot works the best. The Direct Power Systems grounding box is offered in many different systems, depending on the type of vehicle and the type of engine. Be sure to purchase the correct box for your vehicle.

Cons

Finding the right grounding spot takes time and you can only get maximum output from the ground wires if you take the time to try it on the dyno. From our experience, stay away from coil packs, distributor and ignition modules and you should be safe.

Notes

We mounted our DPS box onto the battery with 3M double-sided tape. The battery cover conceals the DPS box from the prying eyes of law enforcement.

Conclusion

Aside from the installation of the HKS exhaust system this was by far the easiest Power Page install we have performed. With less than an hour worth of installation time, we were able to generate an additional 18.1 hp and 9.1 lb-ft of torque to the wheels. Now the Z roars with anger with each blip of the throttle and makes a statement when in full song. It announces, "I am here and ready to party. Anybody wanna dance?"

Temperature

Air temp @ 69 degrees FahrenheitTemperatures difference from previous

run: -1 degree Fahrenheit

Parts

Direct Power System grounding box and instructions.

Tools

10mm and 12mm socket and ratchet.

CONCLUSION HP Level HP+ TQ Level TQ+

Baseline 231.8 227.1

1 HKS Hi-Power Exhaust 243.6 11.8 232.8 5.7

2 K&N Filter Element 247.3 3.7 234.6 1.8

3 Ground Box 249.9 2.6 236.2 1.6

Final 249.9 18.1 236.2 9.1

errr...there is a cheaper remap option...would anyone be intrested in it say...for about £400 ish?

Deatils? All other "remapers" we have seen claimed for cheaper, then suddenly cant do them when asked to do so. There have been quite a few generic mapping companies that claim to do all cars which suddenly cant provide proof of doing one or being able to do one when asked.

errr...there is a cheaper remap option...would anyone be intrested in it say...for about £400 ish?

Deatils? All other "remapers" we have seen claimed for cheaper, then suddenly cant do them when asked to do so. There have been quite a few generic mapping companies that claim to do all cars which suddenly cant provide proof of doing one or being able to do one when asked.

ive been reading up on this...havent contacted them yet as they dont have something ready for EU versions... will post back once i have more credible details..

ive been reading up on this...havent contacted them yet as they dont have something ready for EU versions... will post back once i have more credible details..

they never will

ive just fitted my spacer this evening, taken it for a quite blast, seems to provide a better power delivery in the mid-range. I think i will probably stop here with the performance side as it looks like it will get very expensive. the posts have been a great help, thanks guys :thumbs:

:teeth:

Hiya,

Got 265 (flywheel) on the car before I installed the Pure Plenum spacer kit, got 273 afterwards (not bad with such a little change pricewise...)

Ordered this one:

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Plenum_S ... stallation

Brilliant difference in feel, thought it was more but hey dyno does not lie...

A very nice result. How does it feel on the road though ?? :D

:teeth:

Hiya,

Got 265 (flywheel) on the car before I installed the Pure Plenum spacer kit, got 273 afterwards (not bad with such a little change pricewise...)

Ordered this one:

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Plenum_S ... stallation

Brilliant difference in feel, thought it was more but hey dyno does not lie...

A very nice result. How does it feel on the road though ?? :D

:thumbs: Feels more torque and sound much more raw over 4k :teeth:

• 3 weeks later...

Who sells plenum spacer kits in the UK, and are they all mostly the same?

I also read somewhere that some allow you to use the std strut bar and some dont, which is the one to have so that you can use the strut bar still.

Also is this something thats DIY able to fit?

I also read somewhere that some allow you to use the std strut bar and some dont, which is the one to have so that you can use the strut bar still.

Give Phil a call :thumbs:

Motordyne 5/16th spacer retains standard strut bar £195 and in stock.