Freesat

Ebized

Anyone gone down this route yet?:

http://www.freesat.co.uk/index.php?page ... ation.Main

Thinking of this as I really can't justify £40 per month Sky subscription as most sports I want to see are on ITV4 or Dave now. Plus the Sky hardrive has the usual voice cut outs (usually at the most crucial moment :dry: ).

Where I live I can't get all channels by terrestial and there is no cable - but as I have the Sky+ dish the Freesat seems a good option now. One downside at the moment is that the recorder is not available yet?

Like the idea of the IDVT Panasonic - presume you can relay off to another TV?

Opinions/help very welcome :thumbs:

I have a motorised sat set up Colin, but will be adding one of these freesat box's to my system soon. If you are getting one buy the Humax ;) Your sky dish and lnb will work fine with it, i am holding out at the moment because i heard that the pvr versions will be out soon (recordable). :thumbs:

Just need more hdmi sockets now as standard on the tv's, 2 is not enough. :dry:

Just got the card to stick in the Sky Box, just arrived in the post, got to be worth £20 for free HD !!

Recorder is available, just connect an old PC to your setup, shove a Sat Card (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/show ... p?t=772373 also you can keep on increasing the size of the storage and you can stream content round your house for a one box solution over the wireless...

I'm with Beavis. Will get it when Humax release their PVR version. Apparently its in the works for release around xmas time. I did think about getting the normal STB and then putting that in the bedroom when the PVR comes along, but I cant justify that much atm as I have to pay the extra for the dish anyway not having had Sky before.

Once the Humax Freesat PVR is out I will definately get it and finally have HD TV on my HD TV :teeth:

I have a motorised sat set up Colin, but will be adding one of these freesat box's to my system soon. If you are getting one buy the Humax ;) Your sky dish and lnb will work fine with it, i am holding out at the moment because i heard that the pvr versions will be out soon (recordable). :thumbs:

:thumbs: Thanks Beavis - er... what is the 'Inb'? :blush: I value the record facilty/pause live TV etc options that Sky+ offers, so do I gather this is not available yet for freesat?:

http://www.humaxdigital.com/freesat/default.asp

:surrender:

:thumbs: Thanks Beavis - er... what is the 'Inb'? :blush: I value the record facilty/pause live TV etc options that Sky+ offers, so do I gather this is not available yet for freesat?:

http://www.humaxdigital.com/freesat/default.asp

:surrender:

Low Noise Block, or the bit that looks back at the dish with the cable connected. ;)

LNB is the bit on the end of your dish that captures the info and then puts it on your screen!

You can do all of that with a Home Theater PC.... Had 3 up and running for ages in different rooms of the house... Love the fact that I can connect in from anywhere and watch whats recorded or loaded on the hard drives...

My current set up Colin, a 1 metre Lenson Heath dish(MOTORISED) with dual lnb. With this set up i can watch all the practice sessions when F1 is on live :yahoo:

So i get plenty of freesat already :lol:

Though for proper freesat i am tempted to use a spare fixed sky sat dish i have ;)

DSC_0244.jpg

Oh, its a Lnb - silly me - should have known it was the Low Noise Block (but ever so glad it has been explained :blush::blush: )

One last question - I presume I can't use the Sky+ box for recording with the free sat (having opted out of the Sky subscription) in the meantime before the new DTR (recorder) becomes available?

Oh, its a Lnb - silly me - should have known it was the Low Noise Block (but ever so glad it has been explained :blush::blush: )

One last question - I presume I can't use the Sky+ box for recording with the free sat (having opted out of the Sky subscription) in the meantime before the new DTR (recorder) becomes available?

Can't help you with that Colin :blush:

hi Ebized,

ive got a similar set up to Beavis by the sounds of it. Motorised dish that can pretty much pick up every sat channel you will ever need. Look for a Darkbox HD, this is what ive got, about £250 all in it cost me (set it up myself though) has recording capabilities, pause, just like sky plus HD (apart from you cannot rewind tv b4 you press the record button). Got over 6000 channels, with all footy, rugby (and other sports) movies, the lot (apart from Guinness prem as it is sky sports only), Premiership kick-offs (3:00) well the ones i have seen so far. But you cannot get sky channels (apart from those which are freeview).

Would defo recomend it, buy the kit, no carges there after.

Hope this helps