Tom Tom - Which model and where to buy?

Kev946

Hi peeps.

Not posted on here in ages but remember there were plenty of GPS experts. My daughter wants a Tom Tom for her car. My oldest has a Tom Tom XL, but she wants a Bluetooth Car kit facility built in. I think this means I need a Tom Tom GO. I've looked at the 530 and older 520 which is a lot cheaper. Also is it worth the extra for the traffic facility and what is this anyway.

So which to buy and where from?

Thanks for your help...:thumbs:

Cheers

Kevin

I have a One V3, it gets traffic info though your mobile, I think the new V4 has some sort of receiver built in, so no data bills for your mobile!

Just looked, your defiantly paying for it! my One Europe with a years speed cameras was £120!

Mind you, the tomtom camera database in far from infallible :dry:

My tomtom was a prezzie, if i was buying my own, i would get a garmin. Used to install some of there more serious kit into light aircraft and is pretty awesome! Also, they are coming from the top of the market down, so there's a lot of trickled down tech and expertise.

Tom Toms look good value and have lots of features. It has been my, and many others, experience that these aren't always delivered. Navigation isn't always accurate, getting signals can be slow/poor etc etc.

Garmin every time.

See reviews on websites that offer all makes. Garmin wins every time and loads swapped from Tom Tom to Garmin despite the expense. Amazon has a lot of examples.

My Tom Tom is brilliant. Its a 910.It has bluetooth and voice recognition too. Never gone wrong with it. Only trouble I had with it was it wasn't compatable with my mobile and therefore wouldn't download the phone book, but this doesn't stop you using the phone in car, just have to programme numbers in manually. Did a lot of research and asking around before I bought and this was the favorite.

My Tom Tom is brilliant. Its a 910.It has bluetooth and voice recognition too. Never gone wrong with it. Only trouble I had with it was it wasn't compatable with my mobile and therefore wouldn't download the phone book, but this doesn't stop you using the phone in car, just have to programme numbers in manually. Did a lot of research and asking around before I bought and this was the favorite.

That's what she wants. She'd probably be happy with a bluetooth car kit but fancies sat nav as dear I say it she has problems reading maps, now there's a surprise..... :lol:

It's amazing how many of these things people buy... does nobody know where they are going anymore :teeth:

... PS I've got the One but it doesn't do half the things your looking for.

This is for a woman..... :lol:

I can get the 520T from Amazon for £160 which seems pretty good.

It's amazing how many of these things people buy... does nobody know where they are going anymore :teeth:

Very fine line with women, if they can't learn how to use it in 30 secs, they will never use it, if it does more than they want, they will never use it, if it doesn't read their mind and go directly into "take me to the shops and find me a parking space" mode, guess what..... they wont use it :lol:

buy her a map :thumbs:

runs for cover.................... :plane:

Very fine line with women, if they can't learn how to use it in 30 secs, they will never use it, if it does more than they want, they will never use it, if it doesn't read their mind and go directly into "take me to the shops and find me a parking space" mode, guess what..... they wont use it :lol:

You aren't for one moment suggesting that women can read maps are you.... :lol:

You aren't for one moment suggesting that women can read maps are you.... :lol:

:lol::lol:

I bought a tom tom (I think it's a 520T) and it's a decent bit of kit Kev. My girlfriend sussed it out quick and her sister liked it so bought one.

It has bluetooth and stuff too. Not sure if it's worth getting the newer version????

Gixxeruk - Being a 'woman' myself I can only say that is of no surprise to me that you like to kid yourself that women are inferior, but hey, if it makes you feel better about being born a man. :lol:

Anyway, tis easy to program and use

all tongue in cheek chilli ;)

I know or you would have got both barrels :teeth:

Gixxeruk - Being a 'woman' myself I can only say that is of no surprise to me that you like to kid yourself that women are inferior, but hey, if it makes you feel better about being born a man. :lol:

its really dependant on personality rather than gender tbh, i know most people buy the best of everything and never use 50% of what it can actually do, computers are a good example - peeps buy the very best computer and only use it for the internet :surrender: something a 1/3 of the price would have done the same job :headhurt:

its really dependant on personality rather than gender tbh, i know most people buy the best of everything and never use 50% of what it can actually do, computers are a good example - peeps buy the very best computer and only use it for the internet :surrender: something a 1/3 of the price would have done the same job :headhurt:

Agreed :surrender:

Agreed :surrender:

Then again you drive a zed which shows a defined approach to driving ;)