Advantages and Disadvantages of an import

jonah

EVO mentioned a couple of months back imports are charged at pre 2001 VED bands, so it will save you a couple of hundred in road tax each year on an import... Something to do with the SVA test having no CO2 test, so without a CO2 reading the car can't be banded.

EVO mentioned a couple of months back imports are charged at pre 2001 VED bands, so it will save you a couple of hundred in road tax each year on an import... Something to do with the SVA test having no CO2 test, so without a CO2 reading the car can't be banded.

That's not right - I'm fully expecting to pay over £400 this month to renew. Many other JDM owners have also found they are paying the full whack because the DVLA take the import date as the date of first registration, ignoring the fact that it has been previously registered in Japan. A few lucky ones seem to have got away with it. though.

JIM - word of warning... the DVLA office keep messing the new bands up, you must ensure that your car is placed in the correct band, I advise you to get 6months at the cheeper current rate, then renew in march for a year and the second rate and then finally in 2010 you would need to pay the £400!!

:teeth:

Got my Tax renewal letter today, £185. :teeth:

If your JDM was registered with PLG tax class (check the V5) it won't be affected by the enormous tax hikes and is only set to rise by £15 next year! (2008-2009 cost is £185, 2009-2010 is £200)

Most imports registered in the UK before March 2006 will have been given PLG tax class, but if you're thinking of buying an already-imported Z, definately check the V5. After that date, every car imported will be registered based on its CO2 levels = big tax hike for Zs. :(

Steve

Unfortunately mine is registered as Petrol Car, not PLG. :angry:

I'd heard some cars imported before March 2006 were not given PLG...but I think this must be a mistake/misinterpretation of the SVA paperwork by DVLA. I'm on a couple of scooby forums and there's a massive amount of variation people see on their V5s when importing them, it can be even more confusing if the car was manufactured before 2001 (not a problem for Z's tho!).

Some 'errors' do come from what was filled in on the SVA paperwork, but most find the differences are down to how the guy at the DVLA copied the SVA paperwork into the computer as he issued your V5... My last import had a 19980cc engine, according to it's V5 :teeth:

200 for me too :D + u dont get that uggggly ass long number plate!

-1 any car with an import cries out i cant afford a uk car :headhurt:

ooo I feel a fight...... :boxing:

Positives of a JDM -

Cool little add ons the UK market didnt see - Footwell lights, reverse dipping mirrors, potential for a cheap sat nav. Cheaper to buy initially. Square number plate on the back which I think looks better (but open to opinion obviously).

Negatives -

Jap writing on places (Sunvisors, sat nav's and dials in KPH) but again a very easy change. Nissan dealer look at you with disgust and say will take us a week to find the exact same part a UK said has, but by general rule of thumb I try and avoid the dealer like the plague. and lower resale value but this is compensated by lower purchase cost.

The way that lead me to a import was..... I had a spec and budget in mind. The car I chose met most requirements (with more including mods) at a price I couldnt say no to.

Things missing when I bought the car and have or will subsequently change are:

Brembo Brakes - Have the calipers sat at home - bought for 400 quid

Dials Changed - 30 quid

Sunvisors Changed - 10

With the sat nav aswell which I have budgeted about 250 for I reckon I have about 700 quid to get my perfect car and more. The equivilent UK version would have been about 3.5k extra

A bit harsh IMHO :dry:

People do think it though, I think it depends on the car and if it there's a dodgy fog light or random mirror bolted on.

Doesn't matter on a Skyline :)

People do think it though, I think it depends on the car and if it there's a dodgy fog light or random mirror bolted on.

:thumbs: its just general opinion unless the car is import only

From personal experience 95% of folk don't even know what a Zed is, let alone know that a square plate means its an import. :)

I agree with Digsy and I'm not just saying that because I have an import. The car has enough Kudos for it not to matter and only people in the know would give it a second thought and a lot of that boils down to pure snobbery which is bonkers when the cars are exactly the same.

From personal experience 95% of folk don't even know what a Zed is, let alone know that a square plate means its an import. :)

You're mixing with the wrong people :lol: not everyone i know would know what a zed is but at least 80% would know a square plate is an import :blush:

You're mixing with the wrong people :lol: not everyone i know would know what a zed is but at least 80% would know a square plate is an import :blush:

Not talking about people I know but people generally. 90% of my male friends would spot an import, 0% of the girls. ;)

You pays your monies you makes your choice.

I wanted steering wheel controls for the phone and cruise etc so I bought a UK GT. I'm not adverse to imports though. I'd easily consider one if the spec / colour combo was correct.