Need a brief introduction

jonah

Hi guys,

I currently own a 2.0l 406 coupe and have been searching for the same car but with the V6 for ages. Haven't had much luck.

Have always liked the 350Z but always thought it was well out of my price range...but it appears not. It is a great looking car.

I have read reviews on the web but was wondering if anyone could give me a brief introduction about the car from performance, problems, maintenance costs etc.

I am a member of the 406 coupe forum and i know how helpful these forum can be.

How does the 350Z compare to say a Megane R26. A guy at work has just got one?

Thanks for your help.

Paul

Hi and welcome! :thumbs:

Megane and Zed are chalk and cheese. Starting with the blindingly obvious, the Zed is a sleek coupe which attracts attention (mainly good, some bad) wherever it goes. It has no back seats and luggage space compromised by both its shape and the hefty strut brace in the back. It has a torquey, big, thirsty V6 which sounds fantatstic and rear wheel drive to give you all the sideways action you need. Its a proper old school sports car - perhaps a bit lardy but loads of fun.

Megane is a hot hatch. Only those in the know will look at it twice. Pretty standard engine pushing through the front wheels. Very practical, no doubt very easy to live with and clearly one of the best, if not the best, hatch out there. But its not a sports car and its no Zed.

I suppose you'd expect a slightly biased answer on a Zed forum... :teeth:

Welcome. :D:yahoo:

How'd you go with the 406?? Had a good run?? One of my mates has a 406 and a 350, the poor 406 has had a lot mechanical problems, some of which he's had to pay out of his pocket after arguing with the dealer, mostly the expensive ones. The 406 is normally his daily driver, so has been a nuisance. He may have been unlucky though.

Haha, when you think about it, a Nissan is just a Renault with a different badge. ;)

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Yeah my 406 coupe looks the part. I'm not sure there are many better looking cars out there.

Mines the 2.0l and it is so slow. I'm not a boy racer but i need something faster now but i don't want something that has a standard 2 litre with a hundred turbos attached to it.

What would be the best year to get? I am not rich so could probably stretch to 11k. Did Nissan make any major changes to the model over the years i should look out for? Is it worth getting an import?

I am not too fussed about the mpg, it maintenance that worries me. I know cars go wrong but how is the 350Z for reliability..honestly?

Cheers

Not a lot of differences between the years in reality, the changes are relatively subtle. The power keeps going up, but if you're not power mad then the earlier 276bhp model should be sufficient. Newest model has 309bhp, but are a lot more expensive at the mo.

There aren't many problems with the Z reliability wise. Major problems are rare. Main prob is clicky rear axle, but you can check for this on a test drive. This is usually sorted in the warrantly period anyway. Also subtle differences between UK models and imports, the main one being jap cars often are automatic, and UK cars are manuals.

Just as an example, there is a zed on here for £9995 at the moment. :thumbs:

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Yeah my 406 coupe looks the part. I'm not sure there are many better looking cars out there.

Mines the 2.0l and it is so slow. I'm not a boy racer but i need something faster now but i don't want something that has a standard 2 litre with a hundred turbos attached to it.

What would be the best year to get? I am not rich so could probably stretch to 11k. Did Nissan make any major changes to the model over the years i should look out for? Is it worth getting an import?

I am not too fussed about the mpg, it maintenance that worries me. I know cars go wrong but how is the 350Z for reliability..honestly?

Cheers

For the money you want to spend i think you will be looking at an import, but even the uk car prices are suffering badly at the moment.

03-05 models had the 276 bhp engine.

06 models and GT4'S had the 296 bhp engine, the very latest model as the 309 bhp engine but this would be well out of your price range.

Overall there is not an awful lot of difference between the models.Pity you did not get last months evo magazine as it had a buying guide. ;)

Reliability overall is very good, there are a couple of issues to look for which you can find if you do a search. ;)

Welcome to the club :thumbs:

For £11k you'd get a newer import or early UK car. Although in this buyers market you could get an offer accepted from someone needing to get rid.... Only difference between them is spec, but that's explained in the FAQ section :)

As for looks against an R26 - no comparison. Performance, you'd have a bigger grin on your face with a Zed when you get out..... (to wait for the Megane to arrive).

Reliability, for the performance they really are very good. Expect to pay no much more than £300 inclusive for the biggest service, and more like £120-£170 for the basic.

Take a look in the for sale section or get along to a meet. Plenty of people on here like to show off! :teeth: