I'VE BEEN SCAMMED - Warning to others, Paypal didnt help!!!!

dcash5

RIght prepare for a rant but is purely to stop this happening to you.

I sold an item on Ebay and a seller contacted me saying would I post to Italy (alarm bells should have been ringing more) even though I was nervous I said yeah ok if you win.

Anyway the seller seemed legit, send me emails from his hotmail address asking questions. So this guy won it and paid very quickly, I was still dubious so immediately with drew the amount from Paypal. After contact with the seller I waited till the amount was in my bank before sending the Item.

Went to send the Item and asked for 1st Class recorded post and was told by the woman that it was pointless as they could only track the item within the UK, outside of the UK it was taken on by a different postage system, so i duely sent my item collecting my proof of postage.

Fast fwd 3 weeks I had the buying saying he had not received the Item and he was opening a dispute with Paypal, immediately on opening this dispute the amount was deducted from my paypal account sending me into debt. On seeing this I rang Paypal, - they refuse to accept that a receipt from the post office that says, this is your proof of posting is actually proof of posting. I explained the issues with being unable to track to which i pretty much got the answer 'not my problem'! So currently I have no Item and no money! :rant::rant: They say it is me to ensure the Item is delivered!!!! (What more could I have done by take it myself!) now because I stayed in contact with the Buyer, sent him all the info, acted completely by the book i am getting screwed over.

I am really (censored) ed off!

So expensive lesson learnt by me, and heads up for you all..... avoid paypal if at all possible and if you do send anything and i mean anything make sure it is recorded 1 class wax stampped trackered and what other proof you can have on the damn parcel.

Paypal have washed their hands of it and even charged to take the money out my account again!!!!

Sorry for moan but it is a lesson for you all!

Really feel for you. As said what else could you have done. Is this a scam (anybody can open a Hotmail account) Paypal reckon they are totally secure etc. but as has been proved many times not always the case. Wonder how many times this has happened (if the item turns up you can only hope the buyer IS honest & pays)

Sorry to hear this bud :dry:

In Paypals defence, my mrs had £1600 taken out of her account a couple of weeks ago but Paypal noticed the odd transactions and cancelled them instantly.

In this instance its obvious that Paypal is protecting the buyer not the seller. Anyone can buy something and then claim it hasn't arrived and get paypal to retrieve their money. My ebay shop sells about 400 items a month and we get this kind of thing going all the time which as a seller is very annoying :rant:

Yeh i had something similar - i sold some stuff outside of ebay for £110, but for some retarded reason i didnt insure it. The guy said he didnt receive it, and paypal took the money off me (which like you i'd already wihdrawn so my account was negative).

Anyway, 3 weeks later the guy claimed the package finnaly arrived, so Paypal gave me my money back.

If your guy is a genuine eBayer with good feedback, this could be the same situation - he is unlikely to want to jeopardise his ebay account.

Good luck!!

Ok, do you know the guy did get the item? Do you have proof it's a scam?

I don't think it's fair but if it was the other way round would you still want to be charged for something you never received?

Not saying anyone is right or wrong but paypal can't keep everyone happy, you have proof it was posted but if they don't accept that then I have no idea what would be acceptable!

Indeed but I would have thought that because I had posted it, met all my contractual requirements the dispute would be between the buyer and postage company, obv not. Speaking to one of my mates that got stuck by the same thing! (If only I had known earlier!!!) - Nowt I can do now just be careful in the future!!!, Paypal wont except anything unless it has a tracking number!!!!!!

Similar thing just happend to me...

I sold an item 2 weeks ago, posted it straight away, the buyer received it and left me + feedback on ebay

The buyer then lost his debit card and so his bank cancelled his card and any transactions from the card for the last week. So paypal took back the money from me and refunded it to his account..

even though I sent it to the "validated" address, sent it recorded delivery and the buyer recieved the item

As the dispute was with the bank and not the buyer, paypal did not even contact him

Anyway luckily for me the guy is honest and has refunded me the money. Shows what a joke seller protection is.