Rotary polishers

Drexyl

Does anybody here use these when detailing their cars? I gave mine a good clean last weekend, wash, paint cleaner, polish and finally a waxing. It was the first time I'd used all the megs stuff I bought months ago (work, innit). And while I stuck to the very letter of the various instructions, I found the wax an absolute nightmare to buff up (megs NXT). A week later, I've discovered a couple of small areas on the lower panels that have hazed up where I hadn't managed to buff off the wax properly. The bottle say to apply, leave until a haze appears and buff off, but doing it this way renders the wax almost impossible to remove! So it was a case of apply, work in, remove immediatly.

Then I got to thinking about rotary polishers, are they safe to use with a good quality polishing head? It has to be easier than braking your back trying to get dried in wax off, doesn't it?

I have a good rotary polisher in the garage that you can have when I am next down. I dont find it any use at all.

Thanks Martin, that's great. But I have to ask, why don't you use it yourself? I'm obviously concerned about the possible damage/swirls to the paint, so would this be the reason for why you're not using one?

They can be a bit aggressive over time with the zeds paint issues. To be honest I just dont find its gets the job done. I have watched Stevie use one to apply product but find it easier to do it by hand. Each to their own though so give it a go. I have the same hazing issues but find that by the 4th coat of wax it sorts itself out.

They can be a bit aggressive over time with the zeds paint issues. To be honest I just dont find its gets the job done. I have watched Stevie use one to apply product but find it easier to do it by hand. Each to their own though so give it a go. I have the same hazing issues but find that by the 4th coat of wax it sorts itself out.
:scare::scare:

I've gotta be honest, bud, by the time I'd finished, I was knackered! I couldn't even think about putting another coat of wax on. This is the first car that I've had that I've really taken such care over, and I didn't realize just how time consuming it could be. I'm gutted that after all the effort I put in, I'm going to have to right back to the start with the paint cleaner to get the hazed areas clean again. I was hoping to find an easier way of buffing up the bodywork. My experience of car waxes kinda stops at Turtle wax, minute wax :blush: Can I ask you which wax is your preffered choice, and are they all as difficult to buff?

:scare: Stone me, I've never seen so many car care products outside of an auto factors!!! You sure you don't have a part time saturday job down at the local Halfords? the only thing I have in common with what you've got there, is a coffee stain on my workbench!!! I'm embarrassed to say the least, AND I'd spent a small fortune buying up stuff recommended on the site :wacko: Be sure and let me know how you get on with the Dodo juice. What was the P21 like for removal?

just be careful you don't polish right through the paint! Most professionals that use these would do so in conjunction with a paint depth gauge. Unless of course your cars already GM then it won't make any difference! ;)

just be careful you don't polish right through the paint! Most professionals that use these would do so in conjunction with a paint depth gauge. Unless of course your cars already GM then it won't make any difference! ;)

To be honest, I didn't find the polish too much of a problem, it was just the wax. I found that if I followed what the instructions said, it was practically impossible to get the haze off. Even then, I wasn't really pleased with the passenger door. I ended up having to apply more wax to try and wet down what was on there and remove immediatly. I got it the best I could, but gave up in the end. It was getting later and later, and I wanted the car in the garage before the inevitable happened. I am only really considering a rotary polisher for the buffing, everything else will be done by hand.

I have to say that IMO the Megs NXT wax is hard work for not much return.....

If you were still getting haze, there is a chance the polish hadn't been removed properly, or that the microfibre cloth was full of product. Did you use new / clean cloths for the removal?

What Nixy says is half right. Gunmetal shines brightly! :p

I would suggest a R222 / Dodo Juice / Poorboys wax and I think you'll see / feel the difference. As for being knackered, that shows you've done it properly. No pain, no gain. ;)

Have to agree about the nxt - i found it a nightmare to get off! I've got einzett glanz wax at the moment. You can't beat an e-cloth for polishing. I have tried various microfibres but these are brilliant - just slide over the surface like nothing else I've used. They are on offer at B&Q at the moment for under a fiver for a microfibre and a glass polishing cloth in a pack - both work brilliantly on the paintwork. :thumbs:

Have to agree about the nxt - i found it a nightmare to get off! I've got einzett glanz wax at the moment. You can't beat an e-cloth for polishing. I have tried various microfibres but these are brilliant - just slide over the surface like nothing else I've used. They are on offer at B&Q at the moment for under a fiver for a microfibre and a glass polishing cloth in a pack - both work brilliantly on the paintwork. :thumbs:

Yep, e-cloths work really well. But if you want a bargain.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10x-Ultra-Soft-Mi ... .m14.l1318

And there ain't much difference from the e-cloth ;)

really? I haven't found another microfibre to come close to the e-cloth. I've just had a new kitchen put in (shiny work tops) and i have spent ages every time I clean it buffing it back up to a shine. Got some new e-cloths and it just glides over it and instantly it's shiny! But if you promise these are good I could be tempted?

really? I haven't found another microfibre to come close to the e-cloth. I've just had a new kitchen put in (shiny work tops) and i have spent ages every time I clean it buffing it back up to a shine. Got some new e-cloths and it just glides over it and instantly it's shiny! But if you promise these are good I could be tempted?

We have e-cloths and a shiny work surface too, and for the final wipe still use the glass e-cloth. But for the car, and in place of the microfibre e-cloth in the kitchen you will see a very clear resemblance in the labels on these. Or at least in the couple of batches I have bought you can. And I have to say on the car they are brilliant, and really buff the car well. :)

(Also, use Barkeepers Friend for the metal work in the kitchen ;) )

:nono:

ok, i'm sorry..........

i think a rotary for you guys will be a waste of money , ok you can get cheap ones but you get what you pay for with polishers , plus pads are a tenner each , then the compounds ,

ask yourself a few questions , have you got the skill to hit your prde and joy without any experience .

far easier if your car has swirls / minor defects to get them professionally removed then all you have to do is maintain the result , ive seen countless guys spend a fortune on polishing gear only to use it once then sell it , plus a paint thickness guage is essential and again not cheap .

just my opinion guys i hate seeing people waste their hard earned

I have to say that IMO the Megs NXT wax is hard work for not much return.....

If you were still getting haze, there is a chance the polish hadn't been removed properly, or that the microfibre cloth was full of product. Did you use new / clean cloths for the removal?

What Nixy says is half right. Gunmetal shines brightly! :p

I would suggest a R222 / Dodo Juice / Poorboys wax and I think you'll see / feel the difference. As for being knackered, that shows you've done it properly. No pain, no gain. ;)

+1 to this above

I am currently using whats left of my NXT then i'll be going for something else. To be honest it sounds like you might be putting too much on - it could be as simple as that. When i first tried NXT i had a similar experience to yourself, these days i'll give the car a few coats of Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection then some NXT which can then be applied in as many 'thin' layers as you want.

Other factors to consider could be the outside temperature when applying the product.

Many thanks to all of you for your input. I must admit i was suprised at how difficult the wax was to remove. I might just scrap this one all together and try some of the other products suggested.

As to the temperature of the body work, with the weather being the way its been the last couple of weeks, I just managed to get the car cleaned before the heavens opened again. While it hadn't been particularly sunny that day, it wan't really overcast either. sort of a mix of the two, and quite warm ambient temperatures, too. This may have had something to do with it, but not entirely I think.