After the Zed.. an EVO?

IanS16

Hey guys,

You havent heard from me for a few days as my Zed is in heaven now after a Range Rover wrote it off on Sunday night. Approx a month after it came out of the body shop after my last incident!

(Sorry Martin.. the bonnet got wrecked too)

I should get my insurance money through in the next couple of weeks and however much i loved my old Zed i think its time to get something else.

So what are your opinions on the EVO VII FQ300? I like the sound of the performance and best thing it has more than 2 seats! I know its not as much of a head turner but has anyone here owned one?

Sorry to hear about the zed mate :scare:

I actually owned an Evo 8 FQ300 before my zed, the sevens are practically the same car (all use the 4g63 engine) but they are uglier than the 8's and because of this they tend to be the one that everyone stays away from and this affects their resale value quite dramatically.However, when i sold mine i was amazed by how cheap you could pick up even a UK 8 for!

Comparison wise in a straight line the zed is very well matched acceleration wise (i think the zed is a second slower 0-60) to an Evo and would be much faster top end. But, and its a big BUT! the Evo will out handle everything in its path! my zed is all over the place with the traction light coming on like a christmas tree in the wet, where as an Evo could fly round a roundabout at 60mph in the pooring rain hardly breaking traction, all due to the Active Yaw Control and the four wheel drive. They really do make you look like your the Stig!

Sorry for the essay! as you can tell i love Evos as much as Zeds! :lol:

sorry to hear the news Ian :headhurt:

any idea where it's ended up, some nice parts worth salvaging I would of thought

I'm not too sure yet, it was only Sunday night so i'm not even sure its definitely a write off yet. However the front is wrecked (there isnt even a light left in one side, all 4 rays are bent (dont ask how) and the car lifted up at the front bending the exhaust. All in all its in bad shape!

I know its not the sort of pics you guys want to see but i may post some if i can bare it!

I know the insurance is high on an Evo but i get it free through the company I work for. That's the reason I could afford it for the Zed at 22 with only 8 months on my licence :lol:

Sorry to hear the news..... :(

As for an Evo, personally I love 'em. But would I replace the Zed for one, not at the moment, no. I would ADD one to the Zed, but that's a couple of years and another house down the line! :lol:

Sorry to hear this.

As trev says EVO has high insurance and needs serviced regularly and then there is who kicked the ass out it before you. Nice car though if you can get a good one. But there are quite a few around.

Personally I'd look for something a bit different... good luck though

Sorry to hear of the news Ian, hope you get a good pay out if it is written off.

I dont own an Evo, but one of my best mates has one and I've been out in it a lot, on the road and on the track. They are an awesome beast, but a weird one. As breay has already mentioned, in a straight line there is not a lot in it, in fact it is so close its very much down to the driver. Sometimes I get away from the Evo, sometimes he does me, just depends if either of us have any slip ups on the way with gears or traction. Also they are awesome around the bends, but so is the Zed if driven right. In the rain, granted the Evo will win, but I feel a little like a passenger in the Evo as apposed to the Zed. Why? Well because of all its electronics, you can stick it in a corner, boot it and it will track you though. With the Zed, you have to feel your way in and out of the corner, not giving it too much stick, but the reward for hooking it all up is massive. Round a dry track there is nothing between the Zed and Evo (FQ300), but the Zed is more rewarding as you are in control, not the YAW sensors and other electrics. Also the ride quality is vastly different. The Zed is firm but forgiving being that its a GT car. Its compliant, but on a track is somewhat lacking. The Evo swings the other way. On the track its brilliant, but I wouldnt like to do a long journey in it on the roads, not compared to the Zed where I have done over 350miles in one go before!

So afraid to say, you need to get out and try one (or two or three ;) ). Although on paper the Zed and Evo are pretty similar, they are miles apart on everything else, from ride quality, comfort, noise, handling (more the way it handles rather than one being better than the other).

Thanks for all the support guys (n gals)!

Im starting to think it may NOT be a right off.. will find out tonight anyway!

I had a brilliant idea this morning.. not sure it'll work but it's an idea! OK.. so if rays are like £1,000 per alloy from nissan then i would be a lot better off getting some LMGT4s @ 1,400ish for 4. Also a nismo bodykit replica is a lot cheaper than a stock bumper and skirts from nissan! SO.. if the insurance company let me I will get the car fixed but with cheaper than stock parts!

Or maybe its just really wishful thinking!