Creaking noise from the rear ???

Pimm

I have only had this creaking noise since the hot weather started last week approx..

I have looked in other post's reference clicking axles but mind only creaks when going in and out of my drive on nearly full lock(slight hill) not on the straight. Could this be a dodgy spring or shock or could this be the start of the axle haunting me and become worse. It does it going forwards and backwards ???

Anyone with any clues :)

Mate, mine does exactly the same thing. I dont think its the clicking rear axle issue, as mine does that separately. This is a very distinct creaking noise, which i get 9 times out of 10 when reversing onto my drive. And as you say, a slight hill seems to make it worse.

I dont think the heat has anything to do with it... apart from you might have your windows open now when driving??

...It drives me nuts, but i've not had it looked into - sorry.

Chris.

I managed to take the wheels off and spray some grease inside off the drop links. One of them moved very easily but the other one was very stiff. I will give it a few days and see if the noise stops.

I did phone the stealers for a price on the links and they come up at £25 +vat each so lets hope the creaks go away.

:)

I've had this problem for a while now. £25+vat is not that bad a price if they need replacing

I am no machanic but they are very easy to change and i will do my own. I replaced some drop links on my Vectra 3.2 Gsi and they only cost £13 each and they were 3 times longer :wacko:

I've had this problem for a while now. £25+vat is not that bad a price if they need replacing

I am no machanic but they are very easy to change and i will do my own. I replaced some drop links on my Vectra 3.2 Gsi and they only cost £13 each and they were 3 times longer :wacko:

Changed mine as they were past just needing grease and they were a bitch! Bolts had rusted completely and needed a lot of heat to get them to shift.

Once done the creaking had gone though!

Mines the same, Bigphil to the rescue ;) Do the droplinks come with the bolts and nuts in case i shear them off? :wacko:

I got a set for my Vectra last year and the bolts are part of the unit and the nuts will come to, would hope this should be the case for the Z to.

Mine has started to do this. When the rain finally stops I might go and see if I can sort it out. Did you just use WD40 or similar?

Don't use WD40 as the rubber won't like it too much. Need to get some grease under the rubber boots on the drop links for it to work.

Mine has started to do this. When the rain finally stops I might go and see if I can sort it out. Did you just use WD40 or similar?

Don't use WD40 as the rubber won't like it too much. Need to get some grease under the rubber boots on the drop links for it to work.

OK ta, something like LM grease do the job? I have no clue about this sort of thing :blush:

How do you get under the rubber boots?