Supplier of "clicking axle" repair kits?

toffeeman

I've read all the info on the infamous "clicking axle" syndrome that the Zed suffers from and would like to fix mine.

Does anybody know if there is a UK supplier that supplies the full kit to fix the problem? I've looked through this site and read pretty much all there is on the subject but cannot find a definitive supplier. I can find plenty in the States that supply repair kits and uprated axles but would prefer a supplier closer to home.

Any ideas?

Craig.

Keep everyone updated on your progress would be interesting for many members including me

Yeah, no problem. I've not heard anything back from Big Phil or Kev from Envy Performance but I'm not expecting anything until after the weekend.

Give Chris at JDM Performance ( user name JDM Performance ) a PM - he knows all the parts required, normally keeps them in stock in the UK, and is approx 20% cheaper than Nissan dealer prices.

+1 he's doing the kits

Give Chris at JDM Performance ( user name JDM Performance ) a PM - he knows all the parts required, normally keeps them in stock in the UK, and is approx 20% cheaper than Nissan dealer prices.

Gus,

Cheers for the heads up. I've PM'd him.

Craig.

I've received a response from JDM Performance below.....

Hi

We dont have a 'kit' as such, but to fix it (on both sides) you need:

Dust Boot Repair Kit

2 of these at £30 each

Axle Outer Joint Assembly

2 of these at £120 each

Rear Wheel Bearings

2 of these at £55 each

They reckon that lot above at £410. Does anybody know exactly what component causes the clicking problem? I don't see why I would need to replace the wheel bearings as the car has only done less than 25k miles. In my previous experience wheel bearings tend to screech / squeal as opposed to clicking. I'm wondering if its just the Axle Outer Joint Assembly component that clicks.

Any ideas??

Craig.

wheel bearings generally drone when under load if their knackered

cant see why they would need changing

i would guess that the outer axle joint assembly is splined where it fits to the hub, and the lash in the splines causes the click

wheel bearings generally drone when under load if their knackered

cant see why they would need changing

Yeah, I totally agree. The clicking doesn't fit with a duff wheel bearing, as you say they generally make noise under load.

have you downloaded the manual mate ?

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Category:Service

:thumbs:

I have now. Thanks. :thumbs:

Is it just the rears that click?

My car has an annoying click from the front passenger side since I fitted my sway bars (I think its an endlink problem though)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that this particular problem is for the rears only.

I did find this whilst googleing the part number for the Axle Outer Joint Assembly (39211-73L00).

Clicking noise from rear. Drivers of some 2003-04 350Z sports cars (complete application list below) may complain of a clicking sound emanating from one or both rear axles when the vehicle is accelerated from a stop. Nissan attributes the noise to a dried out or prematurely worn outer CV joint. A new-design, more durable joint (Part No. 39211-73L00) is now available to solve the problem. When installing the new joint(s), the Japanese carmaker also recommends replacing the rear wheel bearing(s) with Part No. 43210-AL505.

Vehicles that are prone to the clicking noise and can benefit from the upgraded CV joint include all 2003 models; 2004 convertibles built prior to VINs JN1AZ36A*4T014269 and JN1AZ36D*4T110452; and 2004 model coupes built before VINs JN1AZ34D*4M100248, JN1AZ34E* 4M150167, JN1AZ34D*4T164501 and JN1AZ34E*4T063336.

I did want to know if the new joints are upgraded so that the problem wouldn't reappear in a couple of years time. It appears they are.