Key fob stopped working

andyvvc

The fob stopped working last week. I got back to the car and it was unlocked in a car park (which was odd). Fob refused to lock or unlock the car. Had to use the key in the lock which thankfully works fine (albeit i have to turn the ignition on to shut the alarm up after opening the car door lol!)

The fob has now had a new battery - same issue. It refuses to do anything.

Any ideas? I will call Nissan tomorrow and try to get it booked in for a look. I'm worried that the car unlocked itself after i locked it - and that upon my return the fob didnt work. Im suspecting perhaps the actual alarm is borked in some way?

Oh yeah - my first post on this Zed forum! Hello!! Im normally over at **REMOVED**, but there seems to be a pretty good tech forum here too!

:welcome: to the forum.

Might well be worth disconnecting the battery on the car for a while, but power your windows down first before you do. :thumbs:

Then reconnect and see if that cures it. :)

Have you tried the spare fob?

Very odd. The key doesn't need reprogrammed does it?

I had a similar issue on my freelander actually and it was a split in the battery housing on the circuit board. I got out the soldering iron and resoldered all the easily accessible connections and it has worked perfectly since.

Sounds more serious than that perhaps due to the Zeds complicated ECU arrangement. Lets hope it's an easy fix. Please keep us posted.

:welcome: by the way.

Welcome :welcome:

Worth checking the spare as said above, if both failed and not battery then you are in for a resync in the dealer so bank on a bit of Nissan time to do that. New keys I think for Zed are about £60-80 plus the sync time it removes the old keys as well. Other keys like X-trail are over £200 each so at least Zeds are a bit better.

Enjoy this forum as well :thumbs:

I fix Alfa car keys for a hobby. I`ve fixed literally hundreds! I`m happy to take a look at yours if you like.

Check the spare works first then drop me a PM if you are interested and I`ll send you my address. I`ll fix for free (minus postage and if you need any parts, but generally they are cheap) as it will get me into the Nissan key fixing market :)

I dont have a spare key or fob - this is one reason why i was able to barter the previous owner down in price lol!

I have been quoted £299 for a decent Clifford alarm from a local firm that fitted said alarm to my old 200sx three years ago. I suspect (if it is more than a dead fob) that this will be cheaper than what Nissan charge to sort out some new fobs and re-program etc!

TBH all i need from Nissan is a spare key + immobiliser sync done. But i will call them Monday and find out prices. Hopefully the fob is bust and just nmeeds replacing...?

Cheers for the offer of assistance Toon Chris! Sadly i only have one key so posting it (to Newcastle..?) isnt really viable :(

I dont have a spare key or fob - this is one reason why i was able to barter the previous owner down in price lol!

I have been quoted £299 for a decent Clifford alarm from a local firm that fitted said alarm to my old 200sx three years ago. I suspect (if it is more than a dead fob) that this will be cheaper than what Nissan charge to sort out some new fobs and re-program etc!

TBH all i need from Nissan is a spare key + immobiliser sync done. But i will call them Monday and find out prices. Hopefully the fob is bust and just nmeeds replacing...?

Cheers for the offer of assistance Toon Chris! Sadly i only have one key so posting it (to Newcastle..?) isnt really viable :(

But like i said well worth trying the battery procedure i explained above first, just in case. ;)

Cheers for the offer of assistance Toon Chris! Sadly i only have one key so posting it (to Newcastle..?) isn't really viable :(

So just buy one key and save some money :)

Anyway, seriously I very much doubt it will cost as much as your new alarm. Even Alfa only just make it to that sum and everything Alfa is double normal prices :)

The car is booked in with Nissan in Nottingham (Sunwin - in Sherwood).

Best case is the fob just needs a re-sync - £43.

New fob + resync £145(ish)

2x new fobs plus new key cut = £260(ish)

Ive warned them that i want a call if it's more than a simple re-sync so i can evaluate options. I guess the full 260 squid isn't too bad given that i will have a new key and 2x new fobs...

Ta for all the responses so far - much appreciated!

Can i just hijeck this a bit, but what is your key like? is a key and a separate key fob like the american ones or is it all built into the key? Piccys would be interesting? Plus I am interested in the result as I am suffering the same problem aswell

Can i just hijeck this a bit, but what is your key like? is a key and a separate key fob like the american ones or is it all built into the key? Piccys would be interesting? Plus I am interested in the result as I am suffering the same problem aswell

Its the integrated key with two buttons on the handle part. I'll see what Nissan say but i reckon its fooked and i'll need a new one. I think i'm happy with the 260 quid if it all goes smoothly drop-off and pick-up car in one day.

Will post up the results! :)

All fixed! The new battery was apparently fine, the fob just needed to be re-coded. I have sod all idea how it stopped working in the first place - maybe the old battery did die.

Only cost £38 AND they washed my car for me! :)

Big thumbs up for Sunwin Nissan on Hayden Rd in Nottingham! Very good - im still shocked at how friendly and cheap they were for a stealership! :teeth:

I have the car booked in for next week to get a spare key (with integrated fob) cut and coded. That will be £130ish iirc. I'm also going to look at getting the track rod ends replaced on the front - looks like these are the source of my insessant 'rattle' when i go over a bump. Think these were £155 fitted. Not sure if i will use Nissan for this bit tho, parts are only 50 quid and i have a mate who will probably do these on his lunch break at his garage for a lot less...

The car is booked in with Nissan in Nottingham (Sunwin - in Sherwood).

Best case is the fob just needs a re-sync - £43.

New fob + resync £145(ish)

2x new fobs plus new key cut = £260(ish)

Ive warned them that i want a call if it's more than a simple re-sync so i can evaluate options. I guess the full 260 squid isn't too bad given that i will have a new key and 2x new fobs...

Ta for all the responses so far - much appreciated!

I only got one key for my car. GETTING a spare ive been put off cos of the high cost. I ended up buying a key fob and blade from ebay and getting the blade cut. Cost me under £20 for fob, blade, and key cut. Not got to the stage of programming it to the car yet.

Heard you can programme your keys to car yourself and it will save you money.

I only paid 12k for my uk GT spec car in Feb this year. Managed to get the seller down nearly 2 grand through waiting and haggling over things like the the skipping CD player, single key, dodgy original battery etc etc.

I think i will have paid out about £400 in total once i get this work done to have all the 'faults' that resulted in a 2k drop in price sorted out :teeth:

I messed about with the spare key on my 200sx myself (ie i had to buy a spare key and get it cut, immobiliser set etc). It proved to be a real pain in the a$$ so i swore i would pay the stealership to do it all for the Zed.

I wasnt aware they were going to wash it - they seem to have one of those soft brush/leather stripped car washes. It doesn't appear to have done any damage to the paint, but doubtless i will be using Megs Clay Bar and then some polish later this summer anyway lol

Name and shame the Stealership - its a bit naughty asking you to pay for an hours labour so they can tell you the fob needs a new battery and a re-sync! That should be what they try first time and if it doesnt work *then* they start to consider charging you for investigating the fault!