NA Tuning

LewisL

Hi all,

Never tuned a NA car! always had turbo'd cars!

Dont want to go crazy as Ive waisted far too much on cars in my life as it is! lol

So just looking @ bolt on items!

If i was to fit a inducton kit(cold air fed) & a zorst(possibly de-cat) would i need a ECU upgrade of some form!? if so what 1s are about!? or can the standard ECU be tinkered with!?

what sort of power gains should i expect from these mods!?

Would i benifit from a oil breather/catch tank!? or is the standard setup sufficent!?

Going to get a gorunding kit just in case it does help a little! are there any other mods avaliable!?

plenum spacer is really the only thing that gives any effect, everything else is cancelled out by the ecu

the ecu upgrade is expensive with little gains for big gain that are worth any value you need to go FI, everything is just adjusting the soundtrack to your car e.g. exhaust, intake etc

the grounding kit in some cases makes it smoother :thumbs: (worked for me )

Hi bud, the first and pretty simple answer is that any such power gain from intakes and exhausts are cancelled out by the ECU. Its cosmetic/sound only.

Cold air intakes are available for about £85 upwards. Exhausts from about £400 upwards. All a matter of choice of sounds.

Grounding kit improvements, different members have had differing results but none bad.

If you are looking to upgrade the ECU do a search on here, it has been discussed too many times to link.

ok cheers lads!

does putting a zorst air filter on effect performance in a negative way then!?

i assume it snot worth de-cating then!?

plenum spacer aye!? what increase do you see from doing this!? how much are they!? & are ther enay aftermarket cpmplete plenums!?

Dont want to turbo it just yet lol! dont think the mrs will enjoy me pulling this 1 apart on the driver & sinking stoopid amounts of money into it!

what piggy back ecu's are there & who tinkers with them!? should of kept my old pectel T2 ecu

Not decat, put hi-flow cats on. Decats can mess with the cat sensors... Decats have also been found to have a negative effect...

Plenum Spacer, CAI, hiflows and zorst with new y-pipe will give the best sound track.

Plenum spacer gets air to all 6 cylinders rather than more to 4 and leaving the other 2 gagging!! Simple upgrade really...

Where you based?

ok cheers lads!

does putting a zorst air filter on effect performance in a negative way then!?

i assume it snot worth de-cating then!?

plenum spacer aye!? what increase do you see from doing this!? how much are they!? & are ther enay aftermarket cpmplete plenums!?

Dont want to turbo it just yet lol! dont think the mrs will enjoy me pulling this 1 apart on the driver & sinking stoopid amounts of money into it!

what piggy back ecu's are there & who tinkers with them!? should of kept my old pectel T2 ecu

Doing test pipes (decat) will net more power than high flow cats, but they do emit more odor (nothing there to absorb the gas fumes) and are louder

Plenum spacers are a nice, cost effective way to get some more power throughout the rev range.

Intake wise - pick your poison. None really amount to anything with basic bolt ons.

A full exhaust will net decent NA gains as well. True dual or Y pipe + catback,. again pick your poison type of deal. All net similar gains, it comes down to sound/budget/looks.

Overall the tune is mandatory to reap the most benefits. The exhaust mods coupled with the spacer and a solid tune will net you in the 20-30 whp range gains consistently, sometimes even a bit higher. On my own car, I went from a base line of 224 whp to 269 whp with just these basic mods. Of course that was not enough, so I then went further to a full NA build :)

Based in Bristol

Adam when you say with a solid tune do you mean a re-map on the ecu(piggy back) or can you play around with the timing a little etc fropm standard!?

20-30whp is a pretty good gain so i would consider doing a few mods for that sort of gain!

Getting a bit older now so not really after stoopid loud exhaust i really wouldnt want to go much louder than the standard system is! perhaps i will just try & spacer & see what goes form there! & just start hiding £££ from the mrs til i got enough for FI! :)

if u going FI.. just save £6.5k minimum for that, get it done and enjoy 360-400hp :D

nismo exhaust isnt too loud.. and looks reasonably stock in comparison to others.. and i added a K&N induction kit..also i dont think it made too much difference to the noise level.