Different z

Jay

I now drive a lot more fuel-conciously... i mean, now i hate having to put the brakes on! I stay on the speed limit, but then if going down hill or something, i'll drop into neutral, until my speed starts to dip.

Thought I'd read somewhere that coasting in neutral was not such a good idea as you were still using petrol, where as if you left it in gear, granted it would have to be a high one to coast, the engine shut off the petrol or something like that?.....

Clarkson said if you depress the clutch and coast then modern cars don't use any fuel. Not sure if he was referring to the Z or just some frugal BMW 1 series where the car runs off the smugness of the toad sucking vegetarian driving it.

Jay, I drive like a knob and get 24mpg. Changing your driving style is prob easier than getting a gay BMW :thumbs:

If its ticking over surely its got to be using fuel. They di

ont tick over on fresh air yet do they.

If you were in gear and going down a hill then in theory the fuel could cut off and the cars weight could turn the engine. This would allow for the fuel to cut back in as soon as the accelerator is pushed down but if there is no drive I cant see how it could work as the engine would just stop.

I am sure someone is now going to blind me with science and make me look daft but ho hum.

Ming the thoughtful

PS

Coasting is damn dangerous in my opinion. Poor control and no acceleration if needed. The time it takes to engage gear could be vital in my humble opinion.

If 30, 27, 23 or 20 mpg matters why buy a Zed????

If you want 40+ mpg and some grunt buy a diesel BMW or a C300 (My next car I think!)

Ming the Considered

id say swapping to a manual would be good as you could do what i do on the bike or the polo and sit in a higher gear than i need, the bike will do 30 happily in first, but i'll sit in 3rd as it saves petrol, and sounds lovely!!

the polo i just change up so it doesnt blow up!

but yeah a manual you could sit in 5th when your auto would put you in 3rd. then you still have a 350z and your pride!

I sort of agree about the manual thing but my JDM sort of coasts when you are not pressing the accelerator instead of holding the revs.. i think its the way a torque converter works. Don't quote me though.. i'm still learning ;)

Also i think they did this on Top Gear.. if i remember right you dont actually get good MPG if you drive in a high gear all the time as the engine has to struggle.

Oh and i agree that the Zed isn't a good car if you were after MPG but i don't think anybody thought a gallon would cost as much as it does now! The Americans are complaining about $5 a gallon!!! -Shows how bad it is over here! :rant:

I don't like the idea of coasting at all.

The approach to traffic lights and roundabouts is what my companies compulsory driver training teaches as it's defensive driving. They teach it as it minimises the chance of being rear ended as sitting stationary at lights etc is when you are most vulnerable. :)

I seem to have started a debate here!

When i say i coast - i am dropping my auto into neutral. Coasting would be remaining in gear with a clutch depressed wouldn't it?

Anyway, some of you obviously are assuming im a moron for doing this, and that im going to cause an accident because im oblivious to my surroundings and have no control of my car. Well, suit yourselves... but i only 'coast' when its appropriate to do so - i dont do it if someone's behind me, or at a point where i may need to get on the power etc.

And Mr Ming... as for why should i buy a zed if i care about petrol consumption... i dont get to ride around in a plod car all day with my petrol paid for me :p This is my only car, and i drive approx 375miles a week to work, the price of which has gone up by about £100 a month for me over the last 3 months! I dont know what you police get paid, but i need to start cutting back somewhere ;)

Depressing the clutch? Coasting?????? :surrender:

+1 :surrender:

Not that I coast but why :surrender: . I take it that it don't do the car any favours?

Nah, I just didn't buy a 3.5 litre sports car to coast around in... ;)

Yep.

Why not get a sale put on the roof and let the wind blow you around :lol:

Well I personally feel I wouldn't have control of my car in neutral. I'm not saying you don't.

The other items mentioned I thought were damn good for the reasons in the post above.

I bought a Zed wanting something fun, fuel was never really considered.

Getting back to the point ladies lol! I took the z4 out for a test drive and it was SH** so holding on to the zed for just now! But i honestly dnt like anyother car out on the road in my price bracket just now :wacko:

They do these???? Should i PM Big Phil or is it an across the pond mod from Adam?

Sorry for the thread jack Jay... :surrender:

Glad you didnt like the Z4... now go and test a crossfire to humour me :thumbs:

They do these???? Should i PM Big Phil or is it an across the pond mod from Adam?

Sorry for the thread jack Jay... :surrender:

Glad you didnt like the Z4... now go and test a crossfire to humour me :thumbs:

firstsailmoo2.jpg

:thumbs::lol:

PS I don't want loads of pm's requesting photoshop favours. :rant::p

i hav had a shot of a crossfire and its just nasty lol! soz bro! My mate has one and it just looks nasty and is not that comfortable

I know i know i was just messing.

I dont think i'd get another 2 seater (of todays current crop at least) as nothing compares to the zed.

...and ZeddZ - you have some skills there! Only thing is i'd want a red 'O' on the Nismo.

:)

Stay away from the Z4.

I once test drove a BMW and found it to be quite a pleasant drive.

I was tempted to buy it

but as I looked in my rear view mirror, I got a glimpse of my forehead, and guess what.....

.......It didnt have the words C.O.C.K. wriiten on it, so the whole idea went out of the window.

Stay away from the Z4.

I once test drove a BMW and found it to be quite a pleasant drive.

I was tempted to buy it

but as I looked in my rear view mirror, I got a glimpse of my forehead, and guess what.....

.......It didnt have the words C.O.C.K. wriiten on it, so the whole idea went out of the window.

You know the difference between a hedgehog and a bmw dont you? On a hedgehog - the pricks are on the outside.

(from a 3xformer bmw owner).

When i say i coast - i am dropping my auto into neutral. Coasting would be remaining in gear with a clutch depressed wouldn't it?

Anyway, some of you obviously are assuming im a moron for doing this, and that im going to cause an accident because im oblivious to my surroundings and have no control of my car. Well, suit yourselves... but i only 'coast' when its appropriate to do so - i dont do it if someone's behind me, or at a point where i may need to get on the power etc.

I think you'll find that coasting (to quote an online dictionary) is "To move without further use of propelling power.". This means in gear or out of gear is irrelevant. Being in neutral or dipping the clutch, its the same thing and it will cause you to fail your driving test as it is dangerous. Each to their own, but I think its damn dangerous, and you must be very confident of all other road users if you think you can judge when its safe to do, you never know where a danger is going to come from. Try doing some safe slalom in the car when you are in neutral, it behaves differently to in gear, and can be quite unstable.

Just letting off the throttle will cut most of the fuel to the engine and is meant to use less fuel than at idle as the momentum of the car moving can pull the engine around a little (with a little help from the engine) but certainly uses less fuel than coasting and letting the car idle while you do it. Why not try both for a month and report back on what you find?

Anyway, enough with the rant :thumbs:

I think you'll find that coasting (to quote an online dictionary) is "To move without further use of propelling power.". This means in gear or out of gear is irrelevant. Being in neutral or dipping the clutch, its the same thing and it will cause you to fail your driving test as it is dangerous. Each to their own, but I think its damn dangerous, and you must be very confident of all other road users if you think you can judge when its safe to do, you never know where a danger is going to come from. Try doing some safe slalom in the car when you are in neutral, it behaves differently to in gear, and can be quite unstable.

Just letting off the throttle will cut most of the fuel to the engine and is meant to use less fuel than at idle as the momentum of the car moving can pull the engine around a little (with a little help from the engine) but certainly uses less fuel than coasting and letting the car idle while you do it. Why not try both for a month and report back on what you find?

Anyway, enough with the rant :thumbs:

Fair enough. I spose its a circumstantial thing with it being dangerous. Where i do it on my daily drive im at the same spot on a quiet country road with great visibility.

As for keeping it in gear and rolling - i do this frequently, but when im going down a long hill i wont roll as far as when im in neutral! Either way... debate over i think.

..and once again, sorry Jay :thumbs:

I would consider it dude but cant b assed shelling out more money for a zed lol! Think i would get rougly 13 .5k for mine! So wouldnt great zed for that i dnt think! But it is worth thinkin about m8

I say stop being a big cry baby Jay and just pay for the fuel! :lol::lol::lol:

Not very constructive I know but it saves losing money on the car etc which takes years of fuel saving to make up!