Le Click and what the dealer suggested

Zummertor

I think I have the click, well pretty much convinced of it actually.

I tried to record it but it is not the easiest of things to do so here is the clip, quite hard to distinguish but recorded in a multi-story car park to try and capture the sound more easily.

audio.jpg

Anyway, took to Nissan dealer as now just a few months out of warranty (isn't that always the way), very friendly guys but the summary as close to quote as I can recall is:

"we think it is CV joint making the noise, it will not do any damage just noise, you can try ringing Nissan customer services to see if they will do anything as you know of other cases where they have, they will then probably give us a call"

Now, this is not quite what I'd expected in some ways but that might be bad expectations. I'll give good old Nissan GB a call in the morning and see what they have to say.

I'm guessing options are;

1) it is just noise no damage but we won't guarantee it

2) your cost tough luck even though car only done 20k

3) we're come to some arrangement but you must pay something

4) we'll cover all of it and get it fixed for you.

What do you think ? [perhaps should have run a poll as I know how to do that now]

I think I have the click, well pretty much convinced of it actually.

I tried to record it but it is not the easiest of things to do so here is the clip, quite hard to distinguish but recorded in a multi-story car park to try and capture the sound more easily.

audio.jpg

Anyway, took to Nissan dealer as now just a few months out of warranty (isn't that always the way), very friendly guys but the summary as close to quote as I can recall is:

"we think it is CV joint making the noise, it will not do any damage just noise, you can try ringing Nissan customer services to see if they will do anything as you know of other cases where they have, they will then probably give us a call"

Now, this is not quite what I'd expected in some ways but that might be bad expectations. I'll give good old Nissan GB a call in the morning and see what they have to say.

I'm guessing options are;

1) it is just noise no damage but we won't guarantee it

2) your cost tough luck even though car only done 20k

3) we're come to some arrangement but you must pay something

4) we'll cover all of it and get it fixed for you.

What do you think ? [perhaps should have run a poll as I know how to do that now]

Couldn't hear it in the clip.. does it sound kinda like a maraca strapped to your wheel (obviously not that loud though).. that's the noise i get :wacko:

Couldn't hear it in the clip.. does it sound kinda like a maraca strapped to your wheel (obviously not that loud though).. that's the noise i get :wacko:

It is a real positive and sharp sounding click either one of two then a gap, very hard to record due to the exhaust note, was going to see if I could find a way to edit the sound and isolate it but just way too busy at the moment.

A quiet maraca isn't a bad description actually but maybe it should be two chop sticks tapped smartly together given its not a Seat ;)

and Sarnie I think you may be right.

OK, so got round to ringing Nissan GB, all very polite etc. this is a summary of what was said and what happens next, it may be useful to some of you.

Rang 08457 669966 Chose option 4 "other".

Call Duration was 22 minutes and 6 seconds.

Call taken in Belfast Call centre by Sampo (a Finnish accent and name), English was good so no problems with accent or understanding.

During the first 10 minutes and 45 seconds he took the details of the car, what had been said with the dealership.

He was surprised that the dealership hadn't rung in with the issue and said he would have expected them to have done this (completely agree).

I mentioned the forum and the various discussions on the topic.

Then put on hold whilst he transferred call to "back office / case manager"

at 12mins 36 secs into the call he came back online saying he'd forgotten to confirm the car reg and the back office would not accept the call without doing this.

at 13mins 40 secs into call put on hold again.

at 15:54 taken off hold and case summarised as he handed over to Ruchi at 16:26 into call

Ruchi re-summarised the case and asked the same type of questions again e.g mileage, car in for P3 service, dealer asked to look at "click" etc. etc.

Again was surprised that delaer hadn't rung, surprise dealer hadn't spoken about any costs...

Asked who in dealership I'd talked to, then said would contact them and get back to me definately today. Asked about other cars I might have and have had, I'm not sure if the point was to decide if I spent money on cars or would be a customer they'd like to have. I don't think it should matter but having bought 3 cars in the last 12 months and likely to replace one of them this year you'd have thought they'd like to make a good impression.

So call ended after 22:06 seconds, I await the call back.

Well here you go I've just had a call back from Nissan GB.

That didn't take them too long to respond.

They have spoken with the dealer and made the following offer:

Nissan GB will pay 90% of the work and I pay 10%.

The lady(Ruchi) did not know exactly what it was and suggested I rang the dealer to find out however it was a list of parts and 1.4 hours of labour. I had already pointed out that greasing was not something I'd accept and she said it involved more than that. Parts would then be under warranty.

This call lasted 3 minutes and she gave me the case reference number.

So, next is ring the dealer back.

I can't help but feel that customer service should all be doing this from the dealer, that is how I've experienced it from Lexus / Audi / Subaru and even Toyota, but hey at least it seems a reasonable offer so far.

OK rung dealer.

They are indeed following that technical bulletin one side, parts match those listed. so booked in for next week earliest date I can make it although they'd have done it earlier.

So, fairly satisfied with the outcome shame not 100% paid but not a huge bunch of money, and another day with a Nissan Note or Micra, makes you appreciate the Zed !

Good result there - hope everything goes to plan with the fix.

Can you confirm whether Nissan are taking this on board as a design fault (i.e. the fact the car is out of warranty is irrelevant) or are they honouring this fix as the car has just gone out of warranty in your case?

Good result there - hope everything goes to plan with the fix.

Can you confirm whether Nissan are taking this on board as a design fault (i.e. the fact the car is out of warranty is irrelevant) or are they honouring this fix as the car has just gone out of warranty in your case?

Hard to tell, I suspect it is a combination of things:

1) not long out of warranty

2) low mileage

3) known fault

4) good will

they were happy to discuss the resolution but not the reasoning, I did approach the discussion with them in the order of having recognised the issue as one of the few known faults with the Zed that comes up on the forums etc., then of course what I consider to be supporting arguments for my case versus the black/white warranty. I'll have a chat with the dealership when I stop in next week and see what their take is on it.