Aircon Recharge

Derek_ZR

At what time of the cars life have people had the aircon serviced / recharged???

My car is now over 3 years old with 25k miles and I don't feel it's anywhere near as good as it was and with going on holiday to England/Europe on Friday and remembering how hot it was last time, I was thinking of getting it recharged. Sometimes had to use it last time even with the roof down it was that hot :D

Also if you have had it done - where about and what cost.

Thanks.

You can get the can from Halfords now that you can just plug onto your aircon inlet and it adds more refridgerant. I have not used it, but my next door neighbour bought one for his Jag and said it worked a treat. Maybe worth a try for the £20? probably only need the smaller can of the two for a recharge....

At what time of the cars life have people had the aircon serviced / recharged???

My car is now over 3 years old with 25k miles and I don't feel it's anywhere near as good as it was and with going on holiday to England/Europe on Friday and remembering how hot it was last time, I was thinking of getting it recharged. Sometimes had to use it last time even with the roof down it was that hot :D

Also if you have had it done - where about and what cost.

Thanks.

They reckon at least every 3 yrs for a full change and clean out - also gets rids of bugs that can grow in there and cause nasty niffs. Had it doen on my last two cars between 2-3 yrs old. Works wonders. About £100 I think - although they were company ones so didn't really take much notice of the cost.

I alwasy change the brake fluid at the same time. It also lasts about this lenght of time. Absorbs water slowly and becomes less effective. Std change is usually every 2 yrs.

You can get the can from Halfords now that you can just plug onto your aircon inlet and it adds more refridgerant. I have not used it, but my next door neighbour bought one for his Jag and said it worked a treat. Maybe worth a try for the £20? probably only need the smaller can of the two for a recharge....

Does anyone have a picture of where the aircon inlet is under the bonnet ?

Might try the halfords idea if I know where to put the stuff. Don't have time before going on holiday but there is a Halfords in Torquay which is the 1st stage of the holiday.

• 11 months later...

has anyone ever tried the aircon stuff from halfords?

mines not cold at all so thought i might give it a try, just wanted to know how good it was?

also where abouts is it that you actually charge it up?

:thumbs:

i'd guess that there's no real need to do it unless it's not pumping out cold air although im sure it could do with a good clean out every so often.

they're probably just cashing in on the fact that not many people will have had to recharge their aircon before and as they dont know what to do just take it to them. i'm guessing once you've got the recharge it's only a 5 minute job and wont be much more difficult than topping up the water (i'm hoping so anyway!)

Well..... Just been to halfords to have a look at it. 40 quid for the recharge but u get a free cleaner with it which looks quite good. They do a free aircon check which I though i may as well get done. Turns out that he couldn't get a pressure reading which he thinks indicates that there's something else wrong with my aircon.

I'm now gonna have to take it to Nissan and get them to look at it. Just hoping that it's not gonna now turn into an expensive job :headhurt:

Well..... Just been to halfords to have a look at it. 40 quid for the recharge but u get a free cleaner with it which looks quite good. They do a free aircon check which I though i may as well get done. Turns out that he couldn't get a pressure reading which he thinks indicates that there's something else wrong with my aircon.

I'm now gonna have to take it to Nissan and get them to look at it. Just hoping that it's not gonna now turn into an expensive job :headhurt:

sounds like you have a leak somewhere.

its a sealed system, so no pressure means all the gas has disappeared/got low, or its leaked out.

10% colder is pretty good. That'd be about 2 degrees celcius. :cold:

Has anybody else had trouble with their aircon not working?

My aircon was none exisitant but a quick stop (2hrs) at quick fit and £45 later i was back to being cool :thumbs:

IIRC they empty the system, clean (which also has some form of agent that will seal any small gaps/leaks in the system) and then re-gass.

For £45 you can't go wrong, so why any one would choose the halfrauds can for £5 cheaper is a mystery :lol: