Noob Supercharger Question

IanS16

Hey guys,

Think i may have a few laughs aimed my way but just a quick question;

Why do superchargers have to be manufactured for a certain model (ie 350z)? Could a SC be used from another car?

Surely if I could find a SC that actually fitted under the bonnet and could get the intercooler, pulley, and discharge pipes to fit then it should work, no?

Is the SC in any way connected to the ECU to control the extra fuel needed or does it adjust accordingly?

Surely a decent SC could be aquired on the cheap from an old jag or something?

Don't know about with Zs but the old merc ones used to be a good bet. Not too large and easy to manufacture fittings for them.

I think some of the diesel lorry ones would look nice :)

Or one off an old 2nd world war plane, they were all supercharged. :thumbs:

Don't know about with Zs but the old merc ones used to be a good bet. Not too large and easy to manufacture fittings for them.

Edit: Dont worry I was talking jibberish

Surely you could bolt any old one that fits in there, but it would cost more to fabricate all the bits and test them than it would to just buy the proper specific kit? And the chance of detonation would be pretty high :surrender::headhurt:

Guest prescience
yes just bolt anything on it will be fine :thumbs:

:headhurt:

It's amazing to think that all those SC and TT companies didn't need to do any R&D on their products after all - Tim you were needed as part of their design team ;)

yes just bolt anything on it will be fine :thumbs:

:headhurt:

It's amazing to think that all those SC and TT companies didn't need to do any R&D on their products after all - Tim you were needed as part of their design team ;)

I think he was on Flirts design team :blush:

Guest prescience
I wouldn't like to be near when the engine explodes thouhgh.

I think we should open a book on where we think the engine will end up when it's first fired up :p - perhaps somewhere over Germany to pay them back 60 years on :lol:

Edit - sorry, this wasn't very constructive. It is for sure possible to fabricate your own piping, source a suitable intercooler etc but the key is the interface to the ECU for controlling fuel and timing. Fitting an "off-the-shelf" S/C is a fairly low cost compared to the above and to the above risk IMO :)

here's one , my Grandfather used to work on the Merlin engine at Rolls Royce , shame he's still not aroung he could have given you a few tips on how to fit this in the Zed engine compartment :)

Old%20Merlin3.JPG

here's one , my Grandfather used to work on the Merlin engine at Rolls Royce , shame he's still not aroung he could have given you a few tips on how to fit this in the Zed engine compartment :)

Old%20Merlin3.JPG

Thats the one Tim :thumbs: , similar thing on the Messerschmitt 109................would need a bit of a bonnet bulge though :headhurt:

well in essence it wasnt such a stupid question, I know a few people that have fitted the eaton chargers off the mini cooper S onto their engines.

one guy did it on his 2.0 16v ibiza without even having it mapped and it worked quite well - 30bhp increase and loads more pick up on relatively low boost.

I wouldnt be brave enough to do it though, the guy with ibiza was secretly trying to blow his engine as an excuse to go for a 1.8t conversion I think :lol:

Perfectly reasonable thing to do. Check out Rotrex - they make many OEM superchargers; they are sealed units (i.e. have their own oil supply and do not need to 'tap off' from the main engine oil).

The problem you are going to have: is bracket fabrication. How are you going to mount it? If you are an ace fabber yourself, that's the solution. But if not, the cost of a bespoke bracket will far outweigh that of buying an off-the-shelf package.

Stephen

Guest prescience
Perfectly reasonable thing to do. Check out Rotrex - they make many OEM superchargers; they are sealed units (i.e. have their own oil supply and do not need to 'tap off' from the main engine oil).

The problem you are going to have: is bracket fabrication. How are you going to mount it? If you are an ace fabber yourself, that's the solution. But if not, the cost of a bespoke bracket will far outweigh that of buying an off-the-shelf package.

Stephen

As noted above, the fitting will be the easiest of issues to work your way around :)

Hey guys,

Think i may have a few laughs aimed my way but just a quick question;

Why do superchargers have to be manufactured for a certain model (ie 350z)? Could a SC be used from another car?

Surely if I could find a SC that actually fitted under the bonnet and could get the intercooler, pulley, and discharge pipes to fit then it should work, no?

Is the SC in any way connected to the ECU to control the extra fuel needed or does it adjust accordingly?

Surely a decent SC could be aquired on the cheap from an old jag or something?

:lol: