Piston ring help

Cosmic73

Hi, can anyone recommend std piston rings for a vq35de?

OEM are rare and expensive, I've seen Wiseco and CP ones but I believe these are only compatible with Wiseco or CP pistons?

I've also seen Hastings ones on eBay for £100ish

I've no idea what to get.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Willsy1980 said:

Personally, if using OEM pistons then i'd use OEM rings. You really don't want to be rebuilding it twice for the sake of rings. Or just buy the Wiseco piston and ring set, more cost but at least you know its right 1st time 👍

I'd love to use OEM piston rings but for the revup engine they're no longer available, anywhere.

They were discontinued by Nissan years ago and I can't even find aftermarket ones anywhere, including US suppliers.

IS that what everyone doing a revup rebuild does? Fit new pistons?

6 hours ago, Luigi350z said:

Thanks Luigi, the Z1 link is for non revup and when I spoke to them yesterday they had none at all.

However the Amayama link is helpful and they appear to have revup rings, thanks 👍

• 2 weeks later...

After ordering the rings from Amayama, they've told me there's none at their supplier so that's me totally stuffed.

Can anyone tell me what options I have?

-Are there any rings at all that fit revup pistons?

-Are there any piston/ring kits that will work in a revup block?

On 29/12/2023 at 19:54, Willsy1980 said:

Personally, if using OEM pistons then i'd use OEM rings. You really don't want to be rebuilding it twice for the sake of rings. Or just buy the Wiseco piston and ring set, more cost but at least you know its right 1st time 👍

Are these the Wiseco pistons you're thinking of?

https://www.z1motorsports.com/pistons-and-rods-and-crankshaft/wiseco/wiseco-vq35de-forged-pistons-p-1985.html

2 hours ago, Willsy1980 said:

I hadnt actually looked into them, but id be looking for alternatives to those. Unless you want to drop £6K on them 😄 Can buy another Z for that 😆

£6k is a lot as they're forged.

It appears they may supply non forged at a much cheaper £1k.

https://www.wiseco.com/product/auto/pistons/professional-nissan-vq35de-piston-set-95-50-mm-bore-2/

Is anyone aware of other alternatives?

Edited by Cosmic73

15 hours ago, Willsy1980 said:

I hadnt actually looked into them, but id be looking for alternatives to those. Unless you want to drop £6K on them 😄 Can buy another Z for that 😆

They're definitely $1k for a set of 6, not $1k for a single piston, that would be crazy price.

Yesterday I ordered a set of Wiseco forged pistons from Concept performance only to cancel it a few hours later due to a 6 week lead time.

I'm only running stock power so forged pistons may be pointless.

I've seen these  OE spec pistons for half the price which I reckon should be fine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112600053511

If you mean conceptua, I've just ordered a refurbished crankshaft/bearings, OEM timing kit, head bolts and gasket kit from them. It all arrived a few days back and looks as described.

The crank & bearings are now with Knights engineering, along with the block and con rods for them to check the bearing clearances so I'm hoping to start rebuilding it by the end of the month.

• Like 2

The piston/ring set from Conceptua are for DE (non-revup) engines and he can't confirm if they're compatible for revup.

From what i've read on various forums, non-revup (DE) piston/rings will work in a revup block.

It's only the original revup pistons that need their own specific OEM revup rings. Is that definitely the case?  

So, can anyone tell me if these DE pistons/rings will work in my revup block?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112600053511