Wheel Judder

haylabamba

Hi Again!

After fitting the new wheels and tyres (plus spacers), I am back on the road but with a problem.

I am getting a fair amount of judder through the steering wheel and through the seat under my a**e! I've had the wheels balanced (twice!), laser tracking etc. and all seemed fine. Problem only arose after fitting the new wheels so can't see it is related to anything else.

Only seem to notice the problem at around 80/90 mph and worse when slowing down. :rant: Anyone got any ideas? They are clear of the brake calipers.

Richard

sounds like something not seating correctly. Do you feel the judder when braking through the brake pedal.

Also have you tried putting the old wheels back on tosee if the problem goes

Just thought of something else, I'm sure I read somewhere that there are some sort of bolts on the front wheel that need to be taken off when spacers are put on (or something like this). Maybe they weren't taken off?

I'm sure somebody who has owned a Zed a bit longer than me will pipe up with a more detailed explanation of what I'm trying to say :)

Universal spacers can have that effect on cars. Hubcentrics should not so long as the correct spiggott has been used as said above. Were the wheels balanced both times at the same place? Could be that their machine needs calibrating so will be giving false positive readings when balancing them up.

This i had with another car of mine(vauxhall). I had balancing done, four wheel tracking, new disc's, track rod ends and still the problem occurred. Only this all happend when i had these new alloys fitted.

It turned out to be the spiggot rings that the wheel fits on to the hub, they were just a few mm out and on putting the wheels on they never sat centre enough hence all this wheel wobble and vibration through the seat. I changed the wheels back to Vauxhall ones again and it was perfect.:D

The bolts on the discs wont allow you to fit anything apart from stock wheels so not that.

I am going for spacers on this one or break / disc issues. If its coming through your butt then its spacers... Sounds like it could be a costly mistake as you could be butting undue stress on your wheel barings and through your axels...

Personally not a fan of spacers..

The bolts on the discs wont allow you to fit anything apart from stock wheels so not that.

I am going for spacers on this one or break / disc issues. If its coming through your butt then its spacers... Sounds like it could be a costly mistake as you could be butting undue stress on your wheel barings and through your axels...

Personally not a fan of spacers..

Hubcentrics should be fine provided the spacers used don't translate into wild offsets. Overly aggressive offsets on aftermarket alloys will have the same effect. Plenty use spacers in the States without problems.

Hubcentric spacers sit into the hub perfectly and then provide a new hub for the wheel to sit on i.e. something like this..

type1spacer.jpg

Shims are like these and are its VERY easy for them to not sit right as they often are generic and not for a specific sized hub

Spacers%20selection%205%20Stud%20univ%20lge.JPG

Once again thanks all. Now know I have hubcentric spacers which is a result! So sticking with the idea that it is a spigot ring issue. Guess what I'm going to be doing this weekend?!!

Found another owner with the same wheels on "Cruize 126" so don't think it's an issue with the wheels.

God I hope fitting my newly ordered chrome billet grill won't cause me so much hassle!!

In answer to some of the queries. No, the balancing was done in 2 different places.

:rant: Richard!