What Oil To Use?

Jay zee

Last year I serviced the Z with the black HKS hybrid filter and 5w30 Castrol.

After digging through the huge amount of history it has. I managed to find an invoice from Abbey Motorsport. They dyno'd the Z after giving it an up rev tune (wish I had the dyno graph) along with a service and other things. 

Included in the invoice it sated that they used 10w40 oil. Now with it's age and 86k on the clock, would it be wise to continue to use 10w40? 

I'm a somewhat of a fanboy when it comes to HKS so I'll be trying their oil next. Just purchased their purple filter. Don't think I'll se much difference from their hybrid one.

Screenshot_20230113_231927_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230113_231902_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Jay zee

I am also an HKS fanboy, however, common sense also prevails.

I see no real benefit in using an HKS oil filter over a Genuine Stock Nissan OEM oil filter at half the price of HKS.

Also HKS do not make there own oil and it will simply be some other stuff rebranded.

Another disappointing previous example was that HKS were selling "HKS"  braided brake lines which turned to be simply HEL lines which were rebranded HKS, sad days I am afraid.

Most HKS products are top notch, however, above are a few examples which have dropped through the cracks.

Like most top branded products if you go the HKS route then you will have to pay the HKS tax.

Regarding the oil viscosity, top branded 5W 40 will be fine for your 86k 350Z.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

I am also an HKS fanboy, however, common sense also prevails.

I see no real benefit in using an HKS oil filter over a Genuine Stock Nissan OEM oil filter at half the price of HKS.

Also HKS do not make there own oil and it will simply be some other stuff rebranded.

Another disappointing previous example was that HKS were selling "HKS"  braided brake lines which turned to be simply HEL lines which were rebranded HKS, sad days I am afraid.

Most HKS products are top notch, however, above are a few examples which have dropped through the cracks.

Like most top branded products if you go the HKS route then you will have to pay the HKS tax.

Regarding the oil viscosity, top branded 5W 40 will be fine for your 86k 350Z.

Thank you!

I watched Daveys YouTube video comparing a K&N to a HKS one and it looked like the HKS one has more flow possibly. However, my Z will see absolutely no befit with it only doing 500 miles a year either way😂 

Why do you think Abby Motorsport opted to use 10w40?? 

1 hour ago, davey_83 said:

Few of the one's I've tried in the link below

Currently using Castrol Edge 5w30 with HKS Hybrid oil filter.

1285239821_IMG_20220329_184015068_HDR3.jpg.e8d35c342e84a2c37d917ffc74ae28d7.jpg

Yeah I was watching your yt video servicing the Z last night. Where did you get the magnetic sump plug? The only ones I can find are Greddy ones.

5W 40 is more suitable for older high mileage cars so is ideal for your car.

A word of caution, aluminium magnetic sump plugs tend to snap so best to avoid especially if your pride and joy is entrusted to a heavy handed apprentice mechanic.

Oil Viscosity explained here:    https://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/blog/oil-change/engine-oil-viscosity/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jay zee said:

Yeah I was watching your yt video servicing the Z last night. Where did you get the magnetic sump plug? The only ones I can find are Greddy ones.

Nice one pal, can't remember but can be bought from Opie Oils

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-83809-gold-plug-ap03-magnetic-oil-drain-sump-plug-ap-03-thread-diameter-12mm-thread-pitch-125.aspx

Millers fully synthetic 5w-40 CFS will suit you just fine, ran it for years in my 96K DE and opie oils do a good deal on it. Now running it in my 39K Nismo

Just check oil level regularly on these and you'll be fine. 

Funny, I found old pictures of mine and Andys car back in 2019

20190728_134304.jpg

20190728_134216.jpg

3 hours ago, ZMANALEX said:

5W 40 is more suitable for older high mileage cars so is ideal for your car.

A word of caution, aluminium magnetic sump plugs tend to snap so best to avoid especially if your pride and joy is entrusted to a heavy handed apprentice mechanic.

Oil Viscosity explained here:    https://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/blog/oil-change/engine-oil-viscosity/

Thanks Alex I'll grab some for the service😁👍🏼 Hence why I don't trust any mechanics round here😂

13 minutes ago, Olly350z said:

Millers fully synthetic 5w-40 CFS will suit you just fine, ran it for years in my 96K DE and opie oils do a good deal on it. Now running it in my 39K Nismo

Just check oil level regularly on these and you'll be fine. 

Funny, I found old pictures of mine and Andys car back in 2019

20190728_134304.jpg

20190728_134216.jpg

Cheers Olly! Checking the oil is easier said than done on these awful dipsticks😂 wish there was an aftermarket one we could get.

Yeah she looks clean. Shame I want rid of the wheels, they look great there👍🏼

1 hour ago, Jay zee said:

Cheers Dave I'll get one for the service. Are you still running it? 

Had it for years and years with no issues. Taken it out now and put in on the Mrs Qashqai for a year to see what I collects, then it'll be back on the 350z.

• Like 1