TV Advice

MrLizard

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It comes to something when I think I know more about cars than TV's :blush::lol:

Right to summarise, I'm about to order:

1 X Pana TV

1 X HDMI cable (For the PS3)

I don't need anything for the xbox as I can run it through the current cable by changing it to HDTV. Nothing is needed for my sky etc as its not HD it will just as per normal via the scart.

Is that right?

:)

make sure you have a TV stand that can take the weight of the TV, unless wall mounting,

I found the pana easy to set up with a great picture in everything ive thrown at it, though im starting to wish it had blurred out the guy streaking at the snooker ahwell :(

also, just in case you didnt know (as i didnt) dont lye the plasma on its side at any point, keep it upright. Good choice of TV, now just need to get another Zed :p

It comes to something when I think I know more about cars than TV's :blush::lol:

1 X Pana TV

I don't need anything for the xbox as I can run it through the current cable by changing it to HDTV. Nothing is needed for my sky etc as its not HD it will just as per normal via the scart.

Is that right?

:thumbs:

I know game did cheap HDMI cables, other than ebay of course.

make sure you have a TV stand that can take the weight of the TV, unless wall mounting,

I found the pana easy to set up with a great picture in everything ive thrown at it, though im starting to wish it had blurred out the guy streaking at the snooker ahwell :(

also, just in case you didnt know (as i didnt) dont lye the plasma on its side at any point, keep it upright. Good choice of TV, now just need to get another Zed :p

Cheers for that! When I bought my current TV I bought some kind of heavy duty bracket from John Lewis for about £180 to allow me to mount it:

Pics004.jpg

Apparantly the bracket can handle 50 inch TV's, so the pana should be ok. Gonna order it now, can't wait :yahoo:

That XBox is one of the earlier ones which does not have HDMI. You need an XBox360 Arcade or Elite for it to have HDMI

As for a £50 HDMI, personally I would only spend £5 on a short one at most.

Short run + digital signal = cheapest cable you can find :thumbs:

The industry still likes you to think that you get the same picture improvements that you used to buying mega cables for analogue signals, but you just don't!

Oh, and +1 on the on the elite and arcade having HDMI.

1 X Pana TV

Is that right?

:thumbs:

I know game did cheap HDMI cables, other than ebay of course.

+1 on Game doing cheap HDMI cables!

On that note, dont get fooled into buying GOLD plated this and that HDMI cables, they are all the same and its a gimick! Its all digital so doesnt make a difference what it is made out of, get the cheapest you can and it will be just as good as a £100 Gold plated hand crusted, wiped on jordan's ass version. :thumbs:

So why is the electrics gadgetry guru (H5) trying to blag me into £55 for 1 metre HDMI cables? Does he work for QED? :scare::dry::blush::lol:
haha, not a clue, but its all digital so all the same thing.

This is coming from the main wiring guy here at MTV, who has been working with electronics for about 50 years, so its a good source.

the only difference may be durability, however once its connected, its connected so i wouldnt worry about that.

Not read all six pages so if this has been suggested already I apologise.

John Lewis do price match, so before you buy, google the tv you are going to purchase.... print off a copy of where you can get it the cheapest.

Pop along to your local John Lewis store, they may take 2 days to agree it but you get the cheaper price and get their 5 year warranty...

Bobs your auntie's live in lover.

Dave

:teeth:

So why is the electrics gadgetry guru (H5) trying to blag me into £55 for 1 metre HDMI cables? Does he work for QED? :scare::dry::blush::lol:

This is coming from the main wiring guy here at MTV, who has been working with electronics for about 50 years, so its a good source.

the only difference may be durability, however once its connected, its connected so i wouldnt worry about that.

Read and make up your own mind. Just my opinion bud. Take a look on the whathifi forums and see all the talk about HDMI cables there. The nature of compression etc. means it's not 'just' a digital signal going down it. Go with what you're happy with. :thumbs:

Read and make up your own mind. Just my opinion bud. Take a look on the whathifi forums and see all the talk about HDMI cables there. The nature of compression etc. means it's not 'just' a digital signal going down it. Go with what you're happy with. :thumbs:

I'm happy to pay the dollar as long as its actually better. No point if its not though :blush:

I'm happy to pay the dollar as long as its actually better. No point if its not though :blush:

And you've stumbled onto something that is a long on-going 'debate' point. Lots of people claim 'it's digital so it's either on or it's off', others feel since it is a cable and the nature of how information passes along it, there are differences. IMO, between the right and wrong cables there is a difference. With HD it is about sharpness and stability, something the connections play a big part in. A cheaper but very good cable is the Cambridge Audio HDMI, £30. But if you don't think you'll be able to tell the difference, it isn't worth it. :)

And you've stumbled onto something that is a long on-going 'debate' point. Lots of people claim 'it's digital so it's either on or it's off', others feel since it is a cable and the nature of how information passes along it, there are differences. IMO, between the right and wrong cables there is a difference. With HD it is about sharpness and stability, something the connections play a big part in. A cheaper but very good cable is the Cambridge Audio HDMI, £30. But if you don't think you'll be able to tell the difference, it isn't worth it. :)

I'm not entirely sure that I would be able to tell the difference to be honest. I used to put 95 Ron in the Lambo as I didn't notice the difference from 97 Ron+ stuff, I probably couldn't tell the differnce between £8000 a pot wax and a tub of Turtlewax from Halfords, i think you get my drift :lol:

But then I don't wanna fork out £1000 and then not get the best out of it :headhurt::bangin::lol:

I have tried both types of cables and personally I cant notice the difference, I would however suggest anything over 1m ish needs a better cable,

H5 is right, there IS a difference, but unless you know specifically what your looking for (and its over 1m) i wouldnt bother, im using a £30 belkin which is silver or gold ran for 1.5m and its spot on :)

Also, i am a cable snob so if it had made a difference to me I would of got a £55+ one. The wires leading to the speakers almost bankrupt me :(

It will be such an upgrade youll be blown away anyway :dry:

How does compression affect it? OK So its compressed, its still a digital format so lets say the file is 01000101010110110110110. As long as that still comes down as that it will be decompressed into the same signal. It will have in-built error correction but that said if a cable is so crap that a 0 appears as 1 its a screwed cable (short ones - longer ones there are more issues that affect it )

which comes on to how it makes it 'sharper'. The WhatHiFi forums are full of people that will give you a load of science that claims might make a difference but there is yet to be a blind test show one up.