Hello!

Hello!

I'm looking at possibly getting a 350z after the whole virus thing has blown over. It's only going to be a second car/toy. I'd be looking at spending £5k or less. Looking on autotrader, that means an age range between 2003 and 2005, and mileages between 90k and 120k. Are the early 350z's generally reliable? Providing they've been well maintained of course. Looking at some of the US forums there lots of Zed's well over the 100k miles mark, some over 200k! But then other posts mention really high oil usage, which makes me wonder if in the US it's 100k miles per engine for the car....

Thanks

Ian

1 hour ago, Geekfest84 said:

Hello!

I'm looking at possibly getting a 350z after the whole virus thing has blown over. It's only going to be a second car/toy. I'd be looking at spending £5k or less. Looking on autotrader, that means an age range between 2003 and 2005, and mileages between 90k and 120k. Are the early 350z's generally reliable? Providing they've been well maintained of course. Looking at some of the US forums there lots of Zed's well over the 100k miles mark, some over 200k! But then other posts mention really high oil usage, which makes me wonder if in the US it's 100k miles per engine for the car....

Thanks

Ian

Hi and welcome 

Yes, generally all 350Zs are pretty reliable; there's nothing like Boxster IMS/RMS/Bore-scoring or M3 rod bearings to worry about.

However, with a near 20-year-old performance car there's plenty to check, not least rust, and you should budget for a few things being needed on your new purchase.

The oil consumption issues seemed more with the 2006-07 'RevUp' engines than the earlier DEs, so in your age range it's probably not a big deal.

While looking at the bottom of the market be aware that you may see early imports, however these missed out on the European chassis tuning that was done here in the UK, and is generally considered to be a good thing for our roads.  Also insurance is likely to be a fair bit more on a stock car - although that difference probably disappears if you modify the UK car a bit.

If looking for a weekend toy you might want to find a car with intake and/or exhaust mods, won't make much difference to the performance but most people enjoy the sound.  Quite a few such cars come up for sale here.

• 2 weeks later...