Jump to content

Best exhaust option


Recommended Posts

First post on any Z forum since getting my 2018 370Z with 7,000km a few months ago.

 

  It was sitting in the local Nissan dealer for 5 months while I was driving a 2L MX-5 that I had bought new in 2016 and loved but wanted a change. The hard top and spare wheel were crucial after a soft top with no spare but it was an auto. I kept looking and drooling until I had to have it and have loved every moment, even the auto because it's different, more versatile than a manual and agressive when pushed.

 

   The exhaust was priority one because all I could hear was the piped audio which was sacriledge for an engine of this stature. After a huge amount of research I settled on the Invidia Gemini V1. It's still under warranty but the Nissan dealer was keen to fit it, unlike the Mazda dealer who refused for my MX-5 under warranty. They estimated 1 - 1.5hours at $100 per hour which was amazing compared with the high end workshop that I had been using. It took them 2 hours and they invited me to check the installation and to then hear it start up for the first time. The bill was $154 and it sounded wonderful inside the workshop. One of the old timers begged me not to spoil it with HF cats and or headers and after 4,000km with it fitted I agree with that 100%.

 

  Now the rev matching sounds so good instead of just engine noise. It's the candy red and gets lots of compliments and haters on the road in their 4x4's but the sound is also mentioned. How anyone finds this exhaust quiet is baffling? I wouldn't change anything about it because it's that good but I would not fit HF cats or headers because for me it would be too loud and I had all of that on the MX-5. It sounds good everywhere in the rev range and shifting at 4,000rpm sounds the business let alone 5,000rpm +.

 

 Initially it felt a bit out of sorts compared with how it felt with the stock exhaust. There is a huge difference in flow right from the cats so I reset the ECU learning by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and was surprised that since then it's been spot on. Doing the windows and clock was a pain.

 

 It's one thing to hear the exhaust from behind and on videos but from the driver's seat this sounds amazing anywhere from 1,500rpm to the red line. I'm sure it's picked up some power too but it's got so much that I rarely use it all, unlike the MX-5 that I was always ringing out and that was quite heavily modified.

 

 So summing up I highly recommend the Invidia Gemini. It's very well made and designed, with a sound that is worth far more than the price and you also get the performance gains. It's not quiet but it is civilised and appropriate, read perfect!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
On 06/02/2020 at 10:34, Payco said:

Had the ARK on my 350z and Nismo 370z. Great system IMHO.:thumbs:

Hi Payco, how was fitment of the Ark on your 370z Nismo as I have been told it don't fit well due to the Nismo being slightly longer? Any pic's?

I also had the Ark on my HR and its a lovey sounding exhaust!

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/02/2020 at 10:34, Payco said:

Had the ARK on my 350z and Nismo 370z. Great system IMHO.:thumbs:

Hi Payco, how was fitment of the Ark on your 370z Nismo as I have been told it don't fit well due to the Nismo being slightly longer? Any pic's?

I also had the Ark on my HR and its a lovey sounding exhaust!

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/01/2021 at 09:28, Sierra said:

First post on any Z forum since getting my 2018 370Z with 7,000km a few months ago.

 

  It was sitting in the local Nissan dealer for 5 months while I was driving a 2L MX-5 that I had bought new in 2016 and loved but wanted a change. The hard top and spare wheel were crucial after a soft top with no spare but it was an auto. I kept looking and drooling until I had to have it and have loved every moment, even the auto because it's different, more versatile than a manual and agressive when pushed.

 

   The exhaust was priority one because all I could hear was the piped audio which was sacriledge for an engine of this stature. After a huge amount of research I settled on the Invidia Gemini V1. It's still under warranty but the Nissan dealer was keen to fit it, unlike the Mazda dealer who refused for my MX-5 under warranty. They estimated 1 - 1.5hours at $100 per hour which was amazing compared with the high end workshop that I had been using. It took them 2 hours and they invited me to check the installation and to then hear it start up for the first time. The bill was $154 and it sounded wonderful inside the workshop. One of the old timers begged me not to spoil it with HF cats and or headers and after 4,000km with it fitted I agree with that 100%.

 

  Now the rev matching sounds so good instead of just engine noise. It's the candy red and gets lots of compliments and haters on the road in their 4x4's but the sound is also mentioned. How anyone finds this exhaust quiet is baffling? I wouldn't change anything about it because it's that good but I would not fit HF cats or headers because for me it would be too loud and I had all of that on the MX-5. It sounds good everywhere in the rev range and shifting at 4,000rpm sounds the business let alone 5,000rpm +.

 

 Initially it felt a bit out of sorts compared with how it felt with the stock exhaust. There is a huge difference in flow right from the cats so I reset the ECU learning by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and was surprised that since then it's been spot on. Doing the windows and clock was a pain.

 

 It's one thing to hear the exhaust from behind and on videos but from the driver's seat this sounds amazing anywhere from 1,500rpm to the red line. I'm sure it's picked up some power too but it's got so much that I rarely use it all, unlike the MX-5 that I was always ringing out and that was quite heavily modified.

 

 So summing up I highly recommend the Invidia Gemini. It's very well made and designed, with a sound that is worth far more than the price and you also get the performance gains. It's not quiet but it is civilised and appropriate, read perfect!

 

You think youd be looking at the new Z i can see you're based in US. You can PM me i dont want to hijack the thread!

 

The invidia sounds great a bit underwhelming compared to the 350Z. How loud is it?

Edited by GranTurismoEra
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

 

You think youd be looking at the new Z i can see you're based in US. You can PM me i dont want to hijack the thread!

 

The invidia sounds great a bit underwhelming compared to the 350Z. How loud is it?

I am looking at the new Z but i'm in Australia not the US.

The invidia is plenty loud enough without being offensive. I had the fake engine sound turned off at the dealer so now the sound is pure and so much better. When it was stock downshifting blips were just engine noise from the front but now it's pure exhaust from the rear.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sierra said:

I am looking at the new Z but i'm in Australia not the US.

The invidia is plenty loud enough without being offensive. I had the fake engine sound turned off at the dealer so now the sound is pure and so much better. When it was stock downshifting blips were just engine noise from the front but now it's pure exhaust from the rear.

 

I saw dollar signs and assumed. Mines still on can barely hear it Ive got AAM resonated short tails though

Edited by GranTurismoEra
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

 

I saw dollar signs and assumed. Mines still on can barely hear it Ive got AAM resonated short tails though

I was shocked when I saw the tiny diameter of the stock midpipes where they bolt up to the cats.

The parts manager at my Nissan dealer bought a 370Z when they came out and was told they restricted the exhaust in the midpipes on purpose, probably to make the Nismo an easy power up. He had a custom exhaust built for his.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
On 01/04/2021 at 14:23, Sierra said:

I am looking at the new Z but i'm in Australia not the US.

The invidia is plenty loud enough without being offensive. I had the fake engine sound turned off at the dealer so now the sound is pure and so much better. When it was stock downshifting blips were just engine noise from the front but now it's pure exhaust from the rear.

Hi - You got you fake engine noise turned off at the dealer? My dealer said it's not possible? Do you know what/how they did it?

Cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, at the dealer because they have to use the CONSULT system to do it which we can't access.

There are two options that the Bose audio has in this system and they said they just turned off the Active Sound Enhancer[ASE] leaving the Active Noise Control[ANC] on as I asked.

 

 I could tell it was off as soon as I turned onto the bypass and used a bit of throttle because it was much quieter. It really was a crap fake engine noise that masked the exhaust and is a huge improvement with it off.

 

 Another option is to disconnect lead 28 at the Bose amp.

 

 My dealer didn't even know 2016+ had fake engine sound let alone that it could be turned off but they soon found it when I explained where and how.

This is a bit ambiguous but they will nut it out.

 

http://www.the370z.com/attachments/audio-video/115887d1470164264-disabling-active-sound-enhancement-ase-active-noise-cancellation-anc-2016-av.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...