No garage but want to protect from elements

PKAT

Morning all,

I live down a nasty potholed country lane and PKAT has not long had new wheel bearings and a new exhaust this year, so I want to put her away for the winter apart from the odd dry day.

I don't have a suitable garage or car port, so will need to get a cover. I've heard that covers can make things worse as there is no breathability so she will sweat? Is that a thing?

Looking for recommendations. I thought about a wooden floor to drive her onto then a canvas cover and finally a waterproof one .

Any ideas folks?

:)

Edited by PKAT
  • Like 1

You can get four layer breathable covers which will minimise the moisture that collects under it. Your enemy really is the damage the contact between cover and paint that can occur. Clean the car fully, every possible bit of dirt cleaned from it. Tie the cover down securely, if its flapping about in the wind its not only moving against the paint its letting dirt get in under the cover which then acts as an abrasive. 

All that said, they do work if you do it right, I have used them in the past and had no problems. 

41 minutes ago, PKAT said:

Morning all,

I live down a nasty potholed country lane and PKAT has not long had new wheel bearings and a new exhaust this year, so I want to put her away for the winter apart from the odd dry day.

I don't have a suitable garage or car port, so will need to get a cover. I've heard that covers can make things worse as there is no breathability so she will sweat? Is that a thing?

Looking for recommendations. I thought about a wooden floor to drive her onto then a canvas cover and finally a waterproof one .

Any ideas folks?

:)

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cig81015-heavy-duty-instant-garage---da/?da=1&TC=GS-140613570&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5IyWk4a65gIVwbHtCh2DeQ-LEAQYBCABEgLpp_D_BwE

Just got one myself as I only have a single garage which is used as a utility area but I have a large drive. Putting this up for the winter only. BINGO.

2 hours ago, Payco said:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cig81015-heavy-duty-instant-garage---da/?da=1&TC=GS-140613570&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5IyWk4a65gIVwbHtCh2DeQ-LEAQYBCABEgLpp_D_BwE

Just got one myself as I only have a single garage which is used as a utility area but I have a large drive. Putting this up for the winter only. BINGO.

I dont know what they normally cost, but I think thats a great price! You would have to make sure it was seriously tied down though, and I would strongly recommend putting a concrete base down or some slabs if there isnt a solid base already. 

i live in a nice crime free country village so no issues. Will be erecting in on my driveway which is imprint concreted. I just cant have the incoming car exposed to the elements even though she is going to be waxoiled etc etc.