Touching up stone chips

AndySpak

What do you lot do with the stone chips you inevitably all must have on your Zed? I've used a touch up pen on a couple of bad ones but I am slightly reluctant to touch the little ones up (Ooh er) as I think it looks worse afterwards. This could just be me doing a crap job mind! I don't want the paint to get damaged more so than it is with the chipping but I also don;t want my car to be covered in blobs of paint and laquer.

Everytime I clean it I find more, some of them are in places I can't even figure out how a stone got to! :angry:

I had my bonnet and bumper re done once Andy at a local body shop. (A colleague at works dad). He did a quality job. Top bloke and in Cheshire so probably not that far from you.

If you did that then you can get that clear cling film type coating which Val used to have to save any more chips.

Jobs a bobby.

If you want any details mate let me know.

Dave

Tried to use touch up paint on my last car and it just made it look worse. There's an art to it, and even if you know what you're doing it still looks crap from what i've seen.

I had my bonnet and bumper re done once Andy at a local body shop. (A colleague at works dad). He did a quality job. Top bloke and in Cheshire so probably not that far from you.

How much did the bumper and bonnet re-spray cost? Mine's terrible, but can hardly see them unless close up as my car's silver :teeth:

Think it was £600 but that included getting out a really bad dint out of the bonnet.

Unfortunately I had 2 12 year old girls run out in front of me last year and I couldn't avoid one as they split up. Knocked her down causing the bonnet damage.

The girl was ok after a small stay in hospital, and I had a witness confirming it was there fault so all ended ok in the end. But I have had better days :D

Think it was £600 but that included getting out a really bad dint out of the bonnet.

Unfortunately I had 2 12 year old girls run out in front of me last year and I couldn't avoid one as they split up. Knocked her down causing the bonnet damage.

The girl was ok after a small stay in hospital, and I had a witness confirming it was there fault so all ended ok in the end. But I have had better days :D

I hit a dog once in a 200sx I used to own. Damn thing went flying down the road, got up and ran away. I chased after it because I wanted to know who owned it in case there was damage to my car but the flipping mutt got away. Fortuantely, other than depositing a load of hair around one my fog lights there was no damage.

Glad to hear that the girl was OK :thumbs: I can't think of anything worse than doing some serious damage to a pedestrian in my car, especially a child. :(

Yeah cheers mate,,,, it was quite a brown trouser moment if I am honest. Her mum took a while to speak to me when I visited with some chocs to check she was ok but eventually she came round. A bit of my charm and she could soon tell I am not the boy racer type.

Pm me if you need the number of the paint chap.

dave

Stone chips are a sod. I use a combination of T-cut (very sparingly!) and touchup pens. Also have the Lanka blob remover which is very hit and miss, it has hidden my worst stone chips but the smallest ones are still there.

The problem with metallic, especially silver is the way it lies. With a spray gun the particles in the paint are displaced differently to when it is brushed on. So from differing angles, the paint may seem to match and then from another it looks completly wrong!

:headhurt: That must be every motorists worst nightmare. Can't imagine how bad that must feel but glad it all ended up ok. At least you can be proud of the fact that you must have been driving sensibly :thumbs:

:headhurt: That must be every motorists worst nightmare. Can't imagine how bad that must feel but glad it all ended up ok. At least you can be proud of the fact that you must have been driving sensibly :thumbs:

Yes thanks for that mate, it certainly makes you think. If I had killed her I would never have been able to forgive myself.... My best mate is a paramedic and he says it happens so often though. Kids eh,,, :wacko:

clean the chip, then use a needle and touch up paint, then put a tiny spot into the chip, let it dry, repeat until its just under flush with your lacquer, then repeat with lacquer until slightly proud, let it fully dry then flat with 1500 paper then buff, chip gone :teeth:

or just get it painted.

interesting that because the other day I heard a loud sharp bang while coming off a slip road like a rock had hit me - checked the car and there's a big stone chip near the bottom of the door, I was worried about it going rusty but at least if it does it won't show! :lol: where can you get sunset touch up paint?

interesting that because the other day I heard a loud sharp bang while coming off a slip road like a rock had hit me - checked the car and there's a big stone chip near the bottom of the door, I was worried about it going rusty but at least if it does it won't show! :lol: where can you get sunset touch up paint?

The stealers... :dry:

I've used the touch up pen and Lanka blob remover stuff myself. I've found the :anka works freat on metalwork but not so good on the plastic bumpers and leaves very fine scrathes. So I've left the fornt bumper alone

the cling film stuff that davetstan was on about is Paintshield. I would like to have it done if I'd had the front bumper repsrayed but the paintshield aint that cheap unforunately