Bedding in brakes. Track Vs street

HEADPHONES

What are your thoughts on this guys explanation?

Would a track based bedding in procedure simply mean the pads and rotors mate up quicker for normal street use rather than the usual garage advice of taking it easy for the first few hundred miles?

For track use, and I’m no expert, I’d expect that the bedding in procedure is more important, different dynamics required by different driving style.

I can’t help but think for street use, hundreds of thousands of cars have brake pads and or discs replaced every year for MOT or maintenance purposes and work perfectly well, on that, I’ve never had any real advice from a garage to do any set procedure.  Most of these will just be OEM like for like.

A lot will depend, I suppose on the complexity of compounds etc.  I’ve got a set of StopTech discs and pads (street pads), ready to go on my Mustang, StopTech’s own instructions are quite involved re bedding in, which I will follow as much as is possible.  Sometimes manufacturers recommended bedding in procedure is nigh on impossible on everyday roads.

im happy to follow manufacturer procedures and or, ‘expert’ considered advice from suitably experienced individuals.  

• Like 1

The Stoptech bed in procedure is to in-depth and aimed for track use.

All you will require to do is the first half of there procedures or follow a simple bed in procedure for road use as below.

You do not have a race car so all you will require is a light bed in procedure as follows.

During the procedure do not stop and sit with your foot on the brake pedal at any time.

1. Perform four repeated light-to-medium stops—from 65 miles-per-hour down to 10 miles-per-hour, to bring the rotors up to temperature.
  2. Perform three light stops in succession. Then, perform eight heavy stops, back-to-back, at a point just short of wheel lock—from 65 mph down to about 5 mph.
  3. Drive for 10 minutes to cool off your brakes. Avoid braking as much as possible during this time. A 10-minute drive with zero braking is ideal.
  • Thanks 1

Advanced issues found

3 minutes ago, The G Man said:

What’d ye mean I’ve no got a race car :lol:

You have got an auld mannies barge their mate: :boat: 

Just a candid informed observation: ;)  :lol:

• Haha 1