Android retrofit for premium connect.

StormtrooperZ

Hi all, like others, I absolutely hate the rather clunky and outdated Nissan maps and interface on my 370z, it really let's the zed down in my opinion.

So I've been looking for a way to get android integrated without having to use my phone. More and more car manufacturers are now adapting android, including Googles own push into the market, so I thought I'd try and retrofit it into mine.

I've been looking for a solution for a while now, with not much luck.  I tried android auto on my phone - it's ok but it's limited and Google are going to kill it soon! 

Upgrading to an android head unit is not really an option due to the premium connect setup I have, with the screen being integrated as it is etc. Also decent android headunits are pretty expensive for what they are and do.

So it wasn't looking good....

...Until I got my hands on this android unit, specifically made for incar systems direct from China!

Specs: 
Android (9.0), PX6 1.6ghz Processor, 4gb RAM, 64gb ROM, with support for split screen, mirrorlink/carplay, phones, micro SD, USB ports, GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi etc. 

It's essentially an android box with a plug and play harness for the 370z.

The good points:
It's easy to install, integrates well with existing Nissan system. All plug and play and hidden away behind the centre console, keeping the OEM look. I had the centre console stripped, the kit fitted and everything put back together again in just over an hour or so.

It displays any android app on the premium connect touchscreen - I've got Google Maps, Waze, Play store, Music, Voice Search, Samsung browser and Torque installed on mine. It also accepts audio/video playback via sdcard and usb. As well as the ability to set a password or code to lock it all down.

It's a dual boot system. You can switch between the premium connect and Android systems easily by cycling through the aux button or holding down on a back button for 2 secs.

Steering wheel controls still work. Up & down cycles through music, and vol controls change the volume.

Info button is the home button on android.

Day/night display dimming button works as normal.

Reversing camera works as normal.

Not so good points:
The stock launcher is a bit basic for my liking, so I've installed a 3rd party car dash app and set it to be the default home launcher, and I think you might agree it looks much better! (Video below)

Audio out is currently only via a 3.5mm cable, plugged into a usb converter and then plugged into the usb port. Not the tidiest setup. But there are  loads of phono/RCA cables in the kit too for AV in and out, so maybe I could run those to the Bose box in the boot?  TBC.

So, what do you guys think? If anyone is interested, do let me know. I am in regular contact with the supplier and will get some orders shipped in asap (a deposit will be required).

Until then, I'll continue to play and see how far I can take this thing. Will try to keep this thread updated with my findings. But I'm pretty impressed so far!

Price: PX6 1.6ghz processor, 4gb RAM, 64gb ROM £395 delivered. £420 installed (evenings only - DM for details).

Thanks.

IMG_20190511_180825.jpg

IMG_20190511_201933.jpg

IMG_20190511_181135.jpg

IMG_20190511_204458.jpg

IMG_20190511_194851.jpg

IMG_20200702_191603__01.jpg

IMG_20200702_191554__01.jpg

IMG_20200702_191618__01.jpg

Edited by StormtrooperZ
Now supports apple car play out the box, no need for separate dongles.
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi 

can You still get the kits or do you know where to buy. 

I could fit it myself, the other question was can I get Apple CarPlay working. 

Do I need to buy any extra equipment or will it have everything that is required. 

Thanks in advance. 

Jay. 

• Like 1

Hi buddy, yes I can still get these. £375 delivered. 

Apple Carplay works via mirrorlink/usb. No further equipment required for Android mirror link, but carplay required apple dongle etc.

STZ.

Edited by StormtrooperZ
Carplay needs dongle

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, Umster said:

I'd be interested if you managed to find a better way around the audio out? If you've got any pics of the (back of the) unit @StormtrooperZ then please post them up. 

Hi buddy, no, I'm still using the headphone audio out. Never got round to trying anything different. Works for me!?! :S

I'll see if I can get some pics of the back for you. Will post up when I have them.

• Like 1

On 02/01/2020 at 17:10, Umster said:

I'd be interested if you managed to find a better way around the audio out? If you've got any pics of the (back of the) unit @StormtrooperZ then please post them up. 

As requested. Pictures of the ports on the unit. Checked with the supplier, all good for more orders. 

mmexport1578039303844__01__01__01.jpg

mmexport1578039278347__01__02.jpg

mmexport1578037537103__01__01__01.jpg

mmexport1578037537103__01__01__02.jpg

mmexport1578037537103__01__03__02.jpg

mmexport1578037537103__01__03__01.jpg

mmexport1578037537103__01__04__01.jpg

mmexport1578037537103__01__02__01.jpg

Edited by StormtrooperZ
Added pics of harnesses/cables.
  • Thanks 1

Hey bud, 

I've got an 09 370z with the factory nav (non premium connect). Is there anyway I can integrate this into mine? I understand I wouldn't have touch screen controls so would need to run things off my phone. But I just basically want the ability to throw Google maps from my phone onto the car screen. Would be nice if I could play music through it. 

Cheers

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Amarway said:

Hey bud, 

I've got an 09 370z with the factory nav (non premium connect). Is there anyway I can integrate this into mine? I understand I wouldn't have touch screen controls so would need to run things off my phone. But I just basically want the ability to throw Google maps from my phone onto the car screen. Would be nice if I could play music through it. 

Cheers

Hi buddy, I'm not sure about the non premium connect. It depends on what ports you have behind your unit etc. So cant say if it would or wouldn't, sorry. The supplier did say it was designed for the premium connect only. But don't know if they tested it on an older system or not.

It does have the ability to mirror link via USB or Bluetooth - where you can literally mirror your phone screen. It is a tad rudimentary, as in my limited testing of it, I found you have to have the phone screen on all the time etc.  But it does have that option.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...