Headlight Refurb Project

baw278

Hi! New to the forum and just been taking a look around for some information on some of the best ways to refurbish my faded headlights but thought I may as well ask exactly what I need to know :) 

After a whole fun experience of water appearing inside the headlight casing a couple of weeks ago (see below), whilst I had the casing off the car I noticed how scratched and faded the casing actually was on the outside. I have replaced the ballast now that caused one of my xenons to go (managed to pick a matsushita one up at https://xenons4u.co.uk/matsushita-panasonic-d2s-d2r-hid-xenon-headlight-ballast-control-unit-ecu.html for just under £90 which I thought didn't seem bad?) and then I decided that providing the new seal sits well and I haven't missed anything when I put it all back together I want to give the old headlights a fix up and refurb. I have looked into a few kits I have seen online that attach just to the end of a drill with sandpaper blocks etc, just wondered if anyone has any recommendations for a small touch-up and if a kit like I mentioned is really necessary to get as the head lights aren't really that bad.... but could be a little clearer, I don't want to spend too much on them as the car's bodywork needs some love and a new front bumper is in the works this summer fingers crossed! :D 

Thanks

Ben

dgg.jpg.e9d4ae3d024b0e612d08b53454821c5a.jpg 

Edited by baw278
Didn't link to item meant to just home page >< rookie error!

1 hour ago, baw278 said:

Hi! New to the forum and just been taking a look around for some information on some of the best ways to refurbish my faded headlights but thought I may as well ask exactly what I need to know :) 

After a whole fun experience of water appearing inside the headlight casing a couple of weeks ago (see below), whilst I had the casing off the car I noticed how scratched and faded the casing actually was on the outside. I have replaced the ballast now that caused one of my xenons to go (managed to pick a matsushita one up at https://xenons4u.co.uk/ for just under £90 which I thought didn't seem bad?) and then I decided that providing the new seal sits well and I haven't missed anything when I put it all back together I want to give the old headlights a fix up and refurb. I have looked into a few kits I have seen online that attach just to the end of a drill with sandpaper blocks etc, just wondered if anyone has any recommendations for a small touch-up and if a kit like I mentioned is really necessary to get as the head lights aren't really that bad.... but could be a little clearer, I don't want to spend too much on them as the car's bodywork needs some love and a new front bumper is in the works this summer fingers crossed! :D 

Thanks

Ben

dgg.jpg.e9d4ae3d024b0e612d08b53454821c5a.jpg 

Hi Ben, done my lights with Maguires metal polish, micro fibre cloths and elbow grease :teeth:

• Thanks 1

Hi chap,

I looked into this on my old car, and keeping up with the thread linked below has made me want to do it on the Zed!

If you scroll down on the first page cs2000 has used an autoglym restoration kit (£25 from Halfrauds). And the results look fantastic!! 

Cheers Sam

• Like 1

On a budget?

I got these for a couple quid

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WINOMO-Polishing-Sponge-Buffing-Adapter/dp/B071LFWJ3Y

Stuck on my cordless drill.

Used whatever polish I had (Megs Metal Polish and Menzerna bodywork polish both worked well)

Mask bodywork first.

Unless you coat them the finish will fade after just a few months even if weekly waxing or light sealants like Optimum Optiseal.

Stuff like Gtechniq C4 will last me 1-2 years though but are quite costly for just 15/30 ml.

But I buy 30 ml and coat the wheels too ;)

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info, I will be looking into it more today,I might get some of those cordless drill buffing adapters and order some new polish then. I might get some of the Gtechnique C4 too, does it work as well on faded trims as the reviews say?