New online car mag from Harris/Bovington/Meaden

Digsy

Apparently Chris Harris has left Autocar and Richard Meaden and Jethro Bovington have quit EVO. They are setting up an online mag with David Yu (sometime EVO contributor). The site isn't up and running but this is the address:

http://www.drivers-republic.com/

I'm not sure what I think about this. I love EVO the way it is but there have been plenty of others staffers who have left in recent months and you've got to wonder how the mag will adapt. I also love Harris's contribution to Autocar (the only other mag I read apart from EVO), although those that are enjoying the Chris on Camera vids can be assured that there will be more in that vein on the new site.

Worth keeping an eye on, I reckon. :thumbs:

will be interesting to watch the development of this site , Evo is probably the best magazine for concise insights into the motoring scene and Autocar the best for factual road tests so the combination looks promising, especially if it is going to be a freebie :teeth:

Subscribe to both EVO and Autocar. Although EVO is good I'm starting to get a bit bored as most of the stuff they cover is so much out of my price bracket - don't get me wrong, its nice to dream and know what is out there but it just not that relevant to my real life parameters. There is a new magazine just started called 'Performance Car'...hmmm that sounds familiar..... looks aimed at the up to £40k ish market so much more relevant to me...

Anyway, back on topic ( sorry ) - agree an online mag would be different and potentially exciting addition.... and good people involved.... but you can't beat a good mag in your hand.... ( or am I going off topic again.. :blush: )

Think the best thing about EVO is that the writers are proper performance car enthusiasts. Providing the management keep that ingredient im not too worried that some of the known names are going.

Even better that these guys are setting up alone - hopefully more quality car reading :thumbs:

Looks like it could be interesting. However, EVO is not one of my favourites. Sure, once a year I pick it up when I am in an airport for a car read, but the whole magazine bugs me. You cannot read an article without reference to a damn BMW or Porsche. I am not disputing they are good cars (although I wouldn't have the former), but not every other car that is launched has a BMW or Porsche as it's competition. And then when you have the rest of the staff with their Zonda's and stuff, I feel like I am reading a car snob's diary and pub chat. :blush:

Lets see if the online one continues the trend!

• 1 month later...
(the only other mag I read apart from EVO):

you forgot your subscription to Razzle :teeth::blush:

:lol:

The thing about EVO is the passion in the writing :thumbs:

I was told on the weekend i need to read more, so from that i decided to buy EVO and so far its great!

So looking at this, i made a good choice as i was going to ask what is a good car mag to buy :thumbs:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Shame it was actually pretty good but i have to say, not as good as flicking through an actual magazine.....

I think that's the crux of it - you can't beat the look, feel and convenience of a proper mag. Unless it was something really interesting I rarely read the features but liked the vids until they started tailing off towards the end.

Hope that Evo signs up Harris and Meaden again. :thumbs:

I think you mean Jethro and Meaden but I'd like to see Harris in EVO some time. I do wonder whether they can/would want to go back though.

:doh:

Not to bothered about Jethro, but always liked Meaden in evo. The piece he did on driving the pikes peak stands out for me. Always liked Harris' writing.

Think it might be wishful thinking that they would work together.

Unfortunately this is our final newsletter since DR has closed its doors and will no longer be publishing the features and videos that we've become so renowned for.

There has been plenty of speculation across the internet about the reasons why this has occurred, and despite the first impressions that it must have been for financial reasons, nothing could have been further from the truth.

Thanks to the participation of our readers and the generous support of the automotive industry we were in rude health and looking forward to a bumper year, but differences in our vision about future priorities have led to a parting of ways

• 1 month later...