Cars shaking at 110mph

Newbie 350GT

Hey guys.

the skyline had its wheels balanced today. 20 quid for all four..not bad.

one of the wheels needed a 75 g on the outside and 55 on the inside.

explained the wobbling at 80+

was quite happy wobbling went away past 80. but its still shaking quite bad at around 100- 110mph

any ideas o wise ones?

think it might be the alloys.. maybe they are buggered ..carlssons. 19's

I'd take to another place to recheck the balancing. If it's not that then it could be a buckled wheel rim or even the prop shaft

+1 one pal, get it checked out, also look for uneven wear one the tyre bud, if its the wheels, get new set of better wheels dont bother fixing buckled ones, if its prop shaft then get it sorted quick

I'd take to another place to recheck the balancing. If it's not that then it could be a buckled wheel rim or even the prop shaft

+1 one pal, get it checked out, also look for uneven wear one the tyre bud, if its the wheels, get new set of better wheels dont bother fixing buckled ones, if its prop shaft then get it sorted quick

ill get that checked out

but i just realised i got my locking wheel nuts busted cos i lost the key. so i have a nut missing from each wheel.. ill get those first before splashing out on a proper check

sounds reasonable?

front wheels out of balance you feel through the steering

rear wheels out of balance you feel through the floor of the car

the rear is a lot more tolerant though, they have to be a long way out

can you swop the wheels front to rear, this will show up if the wheels are at fault

have you checked you tyres ? uneven wear or eggs ?

front wheels out of balance you feel through the steering

rear wheels out of balance you feel through the floor of the car

the rear is a lot more tolerant though, they have to be a long way out

can you swop the wheels front to rear, this will show up if the wheels are at fault

have you checked you tyres ? uneven wear or eggs ?

thanks for that

got the wheels balanced the other day.so either he didnt do em prop or my wheels are buggered.

the WHOLE car shakes, steering and everything. thats why i was a bit :scare:

front tyre has a small cut on the inside but nothing major.apart from that all tyres, rare and front are fine and dandy.

alloys are a bit scuffed tho, but i dont think that can cause such a shake :surrender:

p.s ur signature is stunning mate.

cheers :teeth:

tough one but if you can get it the point where it shakes and then knock it into neutral (gears) and it stops shaking then it shows its a drivetrain balance problem (propshaft, driveshaft) if it doesnt, then it the wheels

a badly buckled wheel will have shown up when they tried to balance them

Long shot but you don't have any spacers of any kind on there do you?

good point because if they are not hubcentric they would cause that kind of effect especially at high speed

Oooh, gold star for J! :lol:

not a good sign if it's shaking the bad. I would pay some money and get this properly checked out,

i'm not sure about bearings and would think it more to do with a bent wheel and/or bad balancing. If you know someone with the same size wheels, the first thing I would do is swap them to see if the stops the problem.

not a good sign if it's shaking the bad. I would pay some money and get this properly checked out,

i'm not sure about bearings and would think it more to do with a bent wheel and/or bad balancing. If you know someone with the same size wheels, the first thing I would do is swap them to see if the stops the problem.

no :(

dont know anyone with same sized wheels.

i might get the wheels refurbished and get it checked out prop then

Long shot but you don't have any spacers of any kind on there do you?

not sure

ill check it out..

wat if there are? are they buggered? (mind the naivity)

cheers :teeth:

tough one but if you can get it the point where it shakes and then knock it into neutral (gears) and it stops shaking then it shows its a drivetrain balance problem (propshaft, driveshaft) if it doesnt, then it the wheels

a badly buckled wheel will have shown up when they tried to balance them

brilliant suggestion

ill try that next weekend :D

If you have hubcentric spacers (ones that bolt to the hub then you bolt the wheels to them) check they are all torqued up correctly but if you have universal spacers (these just slip on over the studs) then I would say they are potentially your problem as they are notorious for creating steering shake at high speed.

I would have a go at the other ideas people have put up as well. If your wheels have already been balanced, you/the technician would have seen if the wheel was buckled as it would "shake" on the balancing machine.

Good luck with it.

If you have hubcentric spacers (ones that bolt to the hub then you bolt the wheels to them) check they are all torqued up correctly but if you have universal spacers (these just slip on over the studs) then I would say they are potentially your problem as they are notorious for creating steering shake at high speed.

I would have a go at the other ideas people have put up as well. If your wheels have already been balanced, you/the technician would have seen if the wheel was buckled as it would "shake" on the balancing machine.

Good luck with it.

the wheel was perfectly fine when i got it balanced. i saw him do it. so im hoping its nothing to do with wheel being buckled.

im goin to have to check the whole spacer thing, i dont think i have it or the guy before me whcked them in as i would have noticed it during the balancing.

the only issue is, that its not a shake at the steering, cos i wold ahve thought thats because of the imbalancing. its the whole car that vibrates that scares the heck out of me.

but i will check it out and post an update here for future reference for others

thanks brother man