Quaife LSD help

zelda

Hi guys,

I've just opened my new Quaife LSD and inside the box there's some instructions showing that the shafts need to be cut down. (Image attached)

Anyone know if this 100% required for all 350z models? Mine's a UK 05 plate DE with a viscous LSD.

Bit annoying if it is as this was supposed to be direct fitment. I thought that was the point of specifically selecting a replacement for the viscous unit. I guess though I won't know until it's all pulled apart.

Also, I've got replacement seals, bearings and whiteline bushes but my kit didn't come with:

1 X Nissan OEM Inner "Back" Pinion Gear Bearing

1 X Nissan OEM Pinion Crush Sleeve

1 X Nissan OEM Outer "Front" Pinion Gear Bearing

1 X Nissan OEM Pinion Oil Seal

Are these extras a requirement? E.g. likely to get damages upon removal.

Thanks

20181103_110740.jpg

Edited by zelda

3 hours ago, zelda said:

Hi guys,

I've just opened my new Quaife LSD and inside the box there's some instructions showing that the shafts need to be cut down. (Image attached)

Anyone know if this 100% required for all 350z models? Mine's a UK 05 plate DE with a viscous LSD.

Bit annoying if it is as this was supposed to be direct fitment. I thought that was the point of specifically selecting a replacement for the viscous unit. I guess though I won't know until it's all pulled apart.

Also, I've got replacement seals, bearings and whiteline bushes but my kit didn't come with:

1 X Nissan OEM Inner "Back" Pinion Gear Bearing

1 X Nissan OEM Pinion Crush Sleeve

1 X Nissan OEM Outer "Front" Pinion Gear Bearing

1 X Nissan OEM Pinion Oil Seal

Are these extras a requirement? E.g. likely to get damages upon removal.

Thanks

Is frustrating when things are "direct fitment" and require such work! As Alex has said cutting down may not be easy or pleasant but you've got nothing to lose giving it a go if you have time if it doesn't go to plan

If you're not changing final drive and just swapping crown wheel to the new diff you probably wont have to adjust the pinion shaft at all but still check the toe/heel contact and backlash after install

2 hours ago, zelda said:

Is the Nissan short shaft something that I might have installed stock already?

What's the price and delivery time?

I think the non lsd import models had this shorter shaft fitted from factory so all UK cars with the viscous LSD's will have the longer shaft installed.

Hope it goes well for you!

27 minutes ago, 350Butcher said:

If you're not changing final drive and just swapping crown wheel to the new diff you probably wont have to adjust the pinion shaft at all but still check the toe/heel contact and backlash after install

Thanks for the advice. And yeah, I should have known nothing is bolt on. Happened time and time again. Lol

I just could do without the additional expense at the moment so I will probably try machining them and see how I get on.. doing LSD, clutch, flywheel, plenum spacer, airbox mod and lightened pulleys all together is racking up. :D

2 hours ago, zelda said:

Thanks for the advice. And yeah, I should have known nothing is bolt on. Happened time and time again. Lol

I just could do without the additional expense at the moment so I will probably try machining them and see how I get on.. doing LSD, clutch, flywheel, plenum spacer, airbox mod and lightened pulleys all together is racking up. :D

Mine was cut down on my 370 abbey did the work and it's been fine ..:thumbs:

2 hours ago, zelda said:

I just could do without the additional expense at the moment so I will probably try machining them and see how I get 

No problem

Its only one that needs cutting down 

I'm in the process of building a Quaife.

If you have the Standard OEM diff you will have a short shaft on the LH side and a long one on the right. Alex supplied me with another short one.

The early cars without the Viscous diff have two long shafts.

Yes you can cut the long one down but as Alex says it's not advisable as there will be a reduced amount of spline left compared to the short one and also no groove for the Circlip which holds the stub shaft into the diff. 

My advise is to get another short one. 

• Like 1