am I mad? pad Won't fit

Potty

hi guys bought some ebc pads (dp1644) to replace old ones trying to fit the inside pad and it just won't go I mean the old one out was tight but dam! she just won't go back in this is a brembo set up any help guys? 

Edited by Potty
hasn't finished

I had the same on mine when I changed to ebc yellowstuff, the metal bits top and bottom of the caliper that the pad sits on were ever so slightly raised, so after messing for ages trying to get them to fit I just shaved a 1mm or less off the top of the metal backing plate on the pad with a file. It was still really tight afterwards and needed tapping in

Edited by Rob350

I've seen this a lot on here and have had the same issue myself on the 350 and other cars but have always found that cleaning up the caliper PROPERLY has solved this 

EBC and BREMBO both good quality components these should fit perfectly (Just my opinion)

:)

It's probably this: 

Only last weekend I did the front discs & pads on the 406 Coupe V6 which have the same Brembo 4 pots up front. The sliders are stainless steel, the calipers aluminium. A reaction occurs between both surfaces which cause the slider plates to lift a little, thus reducing the gap in which the pads fit. Ideally you're best off removing & splitting the caliper, remove the slider plates (which will be a little bent) & cleaning the surface underneath. You can buy sets of sliders for under £20 on ebay along with the new screws. I too had to grind the sides of the pads down to accommodate the reduced gap.

Edited by mr v6

thanks guys appeciate it! have had a mate come round and have a look and we came to the same answer that it needed splitting and that the plates had lifted. going to go down to a hardware store and get a grind disc on the sides of the pads for now. asked the garage today if they would do that for me and he was not amused. lol but anyway thanks guys really appreciate the help 

20 hours ago, Rob350 said:

I had the same on mine when I changed to ebc yellowstuff, the metal bits top and bottom of the caliper that the pad sits on were ever so slightly raised, so after messing for ages trying to get them to fit I just shaved a 1mm or less off the top of the metal backing plate on the pad with a file. It was still really tight afterwards and needed tapping in

Just changed mine last week done the same as rob350 but used my Dremel and shaved it down on one side till it finally fitted. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just done all 4 discs n Brembo pads, had the same pad issue but got them in with a light tap from the hammer, fronts are ok, rears getting very hot in fact one disc has faded in colour. Will the pads wear in in time or should I not be getting these issues?

If they're getting hot then they're not moving freely in the caliper, movement should be very little, but not tight. My guess is you have the above issue with that rear caliper, so you'll need to take the edges of the pad off to get them to fit.