Bose Subwoofer - trim distortion - HELP

drewbie

:rant:

Hi Guys

I have a newish GT Roadster. Trouble is when I crank up stereo the subwoofer is making the rear plastic panel vibrate and distort the sound really badly. Ruining my cruising ! The back rear panels seam split into two main parts just above the subwoofer. They don't seem to fit too tightly on mine and I think this is were the problem lies. Will take it in under warranty if I have too but wondered whether there had been similar issues out there.

no issues with mine drew. Don't know if it's more of an issue with roadsters.

Have you tried a cleverly placed piece of thick cardboard wedge

A few pieces of cardboard did the trick, but don't exactly look the part on a brand new sports car. Maybe it'll have to do until I can get it in to Nissan.

Buy yourself a speaker kit of Dynamat from Halfords or an ICE dealer. Take it to the dealer and ask them to take the sub out, stick a sheet of it in the enclosure, and use the other bit to cut up and stick on the back of the panel. Not vibrations and 10 times better sound. Or do it yourself.

Almost all cars with 'subs' in them rattle. No car is built to take 40Hz bass frequency at high volume, not rattle and make money.

Buy yourself a speaker kit of Dynamat from Halfords or an ICE dealer. Take it to the dealer and ask them to take the sub out, stick a sheet of it in the enclosure, and use the other bit to cut up and stick on the back of the panel. Not vibrations and 10 times better sound. Or do it yourself.

Almost all cars with 'subs' in them rattle. No car is built to take 40Hz bass frequency at high volume, not rattle and make money.

:thumbs: Cheers, I'll give it a go. Good weekend project.

• 2 months later...

I didnt quite get that H5, where exactly do you put these small pieces of dynamat? Sounds a good and cheaper alternative to dressing the whole area behind the sub with dynamat..

On the plastic trim panel itself. The stuff has dampening (sound) propoerties so will help stop the panel itself resonating at certain frequencies.

I didnt quite get that H5, where exactly do you put these small pieces of dynamat? Sounds a good and cheaper alternative to dressing the whole area behind the sub with dynamat..

You mean in front of the subwoofer cone and just behind the grilles(blocking the sub out of sight) or on the area of the plastic panel around the grill? And is one piece of dynamat enough for this area or even the enclosure behind the sub?

On the plastic trim panel itself. The stuff has dampening (sound) propoerties so will help stop the panel itself resonating at certain frequencies.

I mean when you look at the big trim panel behind the driver seat with BOSE written on it, if you turn it over and put small pieces on the back of it, it will help stop it resonating :)

Depends on the size of the piece! ;) Personally, I don't think you can over do it, you can never have too much. Anything will improve it, more will add to it. :)

You mean in front of the subwoofer cone and just behind the grilles(blocking the sub out of sight) or on the area of the plastic panel around the grill? And is one piece of dynamat enough for this area or even the enclosure behind the sub?

:thumbs:

Should have reported back sooner. I did try it. One square piece behind subwoofer - seemed a bit lost in there but I trusted advice. Also got another square and cut little bits off to stick in a few loose gaps where two rear speakers are just above.

Sounds a million miles better. Base now thumps into my back and there are no rattles. TOP MAN. All for £20 ! Thought I was in for a whole new ICE kit.

This is my weekend project, as the rattling in my car is driving me bonkers, and I dont think I could cope all the way to Le Man with it like it is.

Just gotta figure out how to take the panels off now...

Should have reported back sooner. I did try it. One square piece behind subwoofer - seemed a bit lost in there but I trusted advice. Also got another square and cut little bits off to stick in a few loose gaps where two rear speakers are just above.

Sounds a million miles better. Base now thumps into my back and there are no rattles. TOP MAN. All for £20 ! Thought I was in for a whole new ICE kit.

Have faith! ;)

Now imagine how much better the front speakers would sound if you did the same to the doors.... ;):)

Have faith! ;)

Now imagine how much better the front speakers would sound if you did the same to the doors.... ;):)

Not very practical. Don't think I could get trim off and then put back. Taking a sub-speaker out by 4 screws was about my limit. Unless you know a very easy and foolproof way ? :blush:

Have faith! ;)

Not very practical. Don't think I could get trim off and then put back. Taking a sub-speaker out by 4 screws was about my limit. Unless you know a very easy and foolproof way ? :blush:

True, it is a bit more of a job, but you can just remove the speaker from the door and not the whole door card.....

Or get to a meet and get someone who has done it to help. ;)