So...what's wrong with the 350Z?

I'll be in the market for a new car this summer, and been looking around at various options. Was gunning for a Z4 but I've just had my 1st service on my 316ti and, to put it bluntly, my ass hurts :rant:

Was considering S2000, TT (225), Z4 (2.5/3.0), Impreza WRX...then I looked up prices on the 350Z.

It's a blinding looking machine and I've heard only good things about it. The performance on paper is scorching and...well...was wondering why they are so cheap!

I know they guzzle gas a little, but I'm on a petrol card so not too fussed.

What are the servicing intervals/costs like? Jap import or UK model? Bit of a noob to the whole Nissan scene so I don't have a clue.

Oh, and hi B)

All the money on the Z has gone on drivetrain and chassis - interior is very plasticky and cheap - especially compared to the TT, but the Z is a real drivers car, whereas the TT is for hairdressers - sorry, but drive them back to back and you'll see what i mean.

Impreza is even worse on the inside and its a bit chavtastic - IMHO it doesnt fit in your short list of cars.

Z4 - you'll get an even more painful backside at the dealers with that :)

That leaves the S2000 - great drivers car, but can be very tiresome on longer journeys and is starting to look very dated, inside and out.

Zed will beat them all for performance, depending on what model of Impreza you are going for.

Buy an import, fit a twin turbo and have 911 humbling performance for about £27k

This is all only my opinion btw.

There's quite a few little niggles but they are all irrelevant when you turn the key and listen to that exhaust :teeth:

Then you dirve it and your grin becomes a premanent fixture.

After my first test drive I was sitting in a hotel restaurant and telling my son, by phone about the test drive. He said "so, how much do you like it?" I replied, well its a rotten night, pitch black, pouring with rain and if it was parked in the car park outside I'd have to go out and play again!".

And that was the same day I'd test driven a nice new 3.5 SLK.

It just has to be driven - both to decide and then, when you've got it, to enjoy!

I like mine so much I keep getting tempted to buy another just to split my excessive mileage!

Cheers,

JohnK

Cheers,

Was looking at the 06 Imprezas the other day with a colleague and I thought they had actually become almost tasteful (in silver/silver at least), but I agree, the interior was awful, especially coming from a bm.

Do like the interior of the TT and the general looks, but the 350Z just looks vastly better.

I travel a lot for work (I guess 20-25k a year), so I want something that's a bit of fun but comfortable on the motorways. Can't fault my 3 compact for the fun factor (ok it's only a 1.8, but insurance!), got the big M alloys on it and have a great time on the back roads.

I've hit 25now and got some NCB hence I'm looking to move up to something with a bit more punch, and the 350z certainly seems to fit the bill in that regard.

Think I will book a test drive and see what all the fuss is about :)

HELL of a lot more punch on the 350Z mate :)

New Impreza has lost some of the charm IMHO - it just seemed nasty to me!

Z looks schweet compared to anything alse for the money - 911's attract less attention here than the 350Z and they are more common too

(new carrera costs about €140000 here, 350Z costs about €55000 :) )

So about prices....I see a lot of ads for cars such as :

2003 52 Reg NISSAN 350Z 3.5 V63 Doors, Manual, Coupe, Petrol, 15,000 miles. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Climate control, Computer, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Side airbags, Radio/CD Multichanger, Sports seats, Anti theft system, CD, Cloth upholstery, Colour coding - Body, Cruise control, Head restraints, Metallic paintwork, Radio/CD. XENON HEADLAMPS

At about the £16-18k range, which is what I'd be looking at. For the mileage, performance and looks, that seems like a bargain, and bargains always make me suspicious ;) What sorta things should I be looking out for?

Had a quick flick through some stuff about JDMs. What are the implications on running costs? I know someone who had an accident in his Jap import Subaru and now the car is off the road for months while parts are shipped over.

Excuse all the questions, but I've kind of fallen in love with the idea of owning one but I'd like to work out all the details!

Cheers

Had a quick flick through some stuff about JDMs. What are the implications on running costs? I know someone who had an accident in his Jap import Subaru and now the car is off the road for months while parts are shipped over.

Excuse all the questions, but I've kind of fallen in love with the idea of owning one but I'd like to work out all the details!

Cheers

no difference in running costs whatsoever,probably cheaper as you wont feel obligated to keep running back to a main dealer for overpriced lack lustre service either ;) All parts are the same.(except brakes if you get a non brembo model )., my advice with having a JDM myself is to buy one that is actually in the country that you can view,

or even better one that someone has used in the country a while and it will probably have some nice bits on !! :thumbs:

Cheers

no difference in running costs whatsoever,probably cheaper as you wont feel obligated to keep running back to a main dealer for overpriced lack lustre service either ;) All parts are the same.(except brakes if you get a non brembo model )., my advice with having a JDM myself is to buy one that is actually in the country that you can view,

or even better one that someone has used in the country a while and it will probably have some nice bits on !! :thumbs:

'here here' - I concur

and may I draw your attention to this thread

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1263&highlight=

So...JDM isn't much of an issue apart from insurance, good. I was nosing around the Nissan site earlier and was susprised to see a combined MPG of 32.5 stated! Can someone look up the stated figure in their handbook, as that is the figure my personal fuel deduction is taken from. If it really is 32.5 then that's sealed the deal for me :>

So...JDM isn't much of an issue apart from insurance, good. I was nosing around the Nissan site earlier and was susprised to see a combined MPG of 32.5 stated! Can someone look up the stated figure in their handbook, as that is the figure my personal fuel deduction is taken from. If it really is 32.5 then that's sealed the deal for me :>

I,d take that figure with a huge pinch of salt :p if your looking for economy buy a mini ;)

Oh I'm not too fussed what it is, I have a petrol card from work, but I have XX,000 miles of personal miles deducted PA from my salary. All they want is the quoted combined MPG to calculate this. I'm quite sure I won't be getting much more than 20mpg, but I'll only be paying for what's in the manual :)

I,d take that figure with a huge pinch of salt :p if your looking for economy buy a mini ;)

Yeah :D:D i dont think mine has ever been above 25mpg, apart from a boring motorway journey!!!!! ;)

Guest prescience
Well, got back-to-back test drives next weekend, RX-8 and 350z, this will be the acid test. Heart wants 350z, head wants rx8, decisions decisions :wacko:

Y. List your head thoughts.

Well, got back-to-back test drives next weekend, RX-8 and 350z, this will be the acid test. Heart wants 350z, head wants rx8, decisions decisions :wacko:

Y. List your head thoughts.

RX is cheaper to buy, cheaper to insure, and has 4 seats, and is potentially a bit hairdresser. As has been said on here, the Z looks and sounds like a proper man's sports car :) Will have the test drive next week and then I'll know for sure.