Drawing elevations...

Stew

I'm drawing up plans just now to get a building warrant issued for work that was carried out last month at my house. I thought I'd be able to do a nice scale drawing (just basic line drawing) in Visio as I have that on my works PC. I can only do plans in that and I have no idea how to do a scale line drawing in it! I found I can do plans though.....

So, Anyone know how to do it in Visio OR what program I could use that is free. I don't want to buy software to use once!

It'll take all of 10 mins to draw up and then print off.

I'll have a look into that Jay.

sweet its smartdraw.com

I practiced a bit and think my skills were pretty good at it, I liked how accurate I could get my plans to look and the depth of detail I could go into the planning of the house. Since then Ive been offered jobs as a high ranking architecture

kids_drawing_yellow_rf_house.gif

be amazed :lol:;)

Cheers Louis.

Did you have a look at the office plans template in Visio? It's great for doing plans.

I planned our new office yesterday with it. Not sure if the boss was going to kiss or kill me when he saw two sofas in the layout! :lol:

You might find you will spend an age getting a scaled drawing correct electronically if you have not used CAD or similar software before. You might be better off hand drawing - normally Councils want the drawings at 1:50 or 1:100 scale but it must be metric - check their planning web-site.

As a souferner I'm not sure what you mean by a 'building warant' but working as a planner I might be able to help if you send me a pm :thumbs:

Cool. I have used CAD but a while ago.

A building warrant is just a certificate that says you can carry out building work modifing the existing plans. You pay for it though as potential buyers of your house can kick up a stink if the work is not warranted!

My modifications didn't require planning permission but does require a building warrant.

Not sure if it's just a Scottish thing or not.

I'll see how I get on and I might give you a shout if I'm struggling!

:thumbs: OK now know what you meen - they call it a 'completion notice' south of the border - for work done in accordance with the Building Regulations - the notice costs about £60.

You mention elevation drawings - have you checked to see if they will accept photos? ;)

It'll take all of 10 mins to draw up and then print off.

I'll have a look into that Jay.

sweet its smartdraw.com

I practiced a bit and think my skills were pretty good at it, I liked how accurate I could get my plans to look and the depth of detail I could go into the planning of the house. Since then Ive been offered jobs as a high ranking architecture

kids_drawing_yellow_rf_house.gif

be amazed :lol:;)

:lol::lol: