Is there any point even trying to drive 'briskly' on public roads these days?

gangzoom

9 hours ago, JetSet said:

Yes, we've just had another batch of speed limit changes around here, all downwards of course. The one that made me laugh is the 50 mph average speed limit (with cameras) they've put on Sealand Road from Sealand to Chester, about 6 miles or so. I use this road on a regular basis and can't recall the last time it was even possible to reach 50... 

Very much like the A14 near Cambridge. There was something like 4 or 5 fixed cameras on the stretch from Peterborough to Cambridge, and yet during a daily commute it was impossible to get anywhere near the 70mph speed limit. The only time you could was at 2am coming back from an airport run or something. There were lots of accidents, which usually involved lorries. The answer? Spending £600k (if I remember correctly) on installing average speed cameras along the entire length. The result? Still loads of accidents and you still cant get anywhere near 70mph. Only people it catches are those 2am people making good process on a deserted road.